10 stabbed, beaten at protest outside California Capitol

webfact

10 stabbed, beaten at protest outside California Capitol
By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Ten people were wounded — two of them with life-threatening injuries — on Sunday when counter-protesters clashed with members of a white nationalist group that planned to rally outside the California state Capitol building in Sacramento, authorities said.

California Highway Patrol Officer George Granada said about 30 members of the Traditionalist Worker Party were gathering for a rally around noon Sunday when they were met by about 400 counter-protesters and a fight broke out.

As people tried to leave the area, smaller fights broke out, Granada said.

Authorities were investigating what happened, but no arrests have been made.

The Capitol was on lockdown until protesters cleared the area.

Videos from the melee posted on social media showed mounted police officers dispersing a group of mostly young people, some with their faces covered, while some throw stones toward a man holding a stick and being shielded by police officers in riot gear.

Sacramento Fire Department spokesman Chris Harvey said nine men and one woman, ranging from 19 to 58 years old, were treated for stab wounds, cuts, scrapes and bruises. Of the injured, two were taken to the hospital with life-threatening stab wounds, Harvey said.

"There was a large number of people carrying sticks and rushing to either get into the melee or see what was going on," he said.

The victims were all present while a protest took place, said Sacramento Police spokesman Matt McPhail but he said it was still unclear whether and how they were involved.

The Traditionalist Workers Party had scheduled and received a permit to protest at noon Sunday in front of the Capitol. McPhail said a group showed up to demonstrate against them.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has described TWP as a group formed in 2015 as the political wing of the Traditionalist Youth Network, which aims to "indoctrinate high school and college students into white nationalism."

Matthew Heimbach, chairman of the Traditionalist Worker Party, told the Los Angeles Times that his group and the Golden State Skinheads organized the Sunday rally. Heimbach said that in the clash, one of their marchers had been stabbed in an artery and six of the counter-protesters had also been stabbed.

Vice chairman Matt Parrott, who was not present at the Sacramento rally, blamed "leftist radicals" for instigating the violence.

A message left at a phone number for the Traditionalist Worker Party was not immediately returned to The Associated Press.

A post recently uploaded to site of the Traditionalist Youth Network said TWP members planned to march in Sacramento to protest against globalization and in defense of their right to free expression. They said they expected to be outnumbered 10-to-1 by counter-protesters.

"We concluded that it was time to use this rally to make a statement about the precarious situation our race is in," the Traditionalist Youth Network statement said. "With our folk on the brink of becoming a disarmed, disengaged, and disenfranchised minority, the time to do something was yesterday!"

The clash Sunday follows a confrontation in March between Ku Klux Klan members and counter-protesters in Anaheim, California in which three people were stabbed.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-27

It's sad when people can't hold a permitted rally to express their political views without being set upon by a violent mob.

Not sad when it's Neo-Nazi's and Klu klux Klan. Their political views deserve an ass-whoopin.

I think a much more powerful statement would have been holding a counter-rally the following weekend with 10x or 50x the number of demonstrators. It's sad when people think it's ok to physically attack one's fellow citizens who hold opposing political views. Unfortunately we've seen allot of this this political season.

It's sad when people can't hold a permitted rally to express their political views without being set upon by a violent mob.

Not sad when it's Neo-Nazi's and Klu klux Klan. Their political views deserve an ass-whoopin.

So political views are fine as long as they match yours? I am sure there are some who think your views "deserve and ass whoopin"

So political views are fine as long as they match yours? I am sure there are some who think your views "deserve and ass whoopin"

When you're refering to the Aryan Nation and the KKK an ass-whoopin' is the least they deserve. Nah, Grumpy is on the money.

so, freedom of speech is awesome, as long as the speech is agreeable to you ? ...

that's the way you sound,,, and if the way you sound, is the way you think,,, I'm pretty certain you don't understand the definition of "freedom of speech" ...

you see the founding fathers didn't create the "freedom of speech" provisions to make you comfortable,,, but to actually create freedom of speech, which unfortunately for the likes of you, includes speech you may not agree with.

I'm no white supremacist but the right to free expression in a permitted rally is okay with me no matter what the thing is about. I guess it would be okay if it was a "black lives matter" rally. The fact that the left/liberals have become so violent in protesting at Trump rallies or in their speech about anything on the right being fascist, racist, etc. takes a very broad swipe at differing political views on the right. Even on TV the left can't refrain from using name calling to describe Trump or other conservatives. If you don't agree with something or someone, say so and explain your reasoning. Name calling is childish.

Edited by Trouble

so, freedom of speech is awesome, as long as the speech is agreeable to you ? ...

that's the way you sound,,, and if the way you sound, is the way you think,,, I'm pretty certain you don't understand the definition of "freedom of speech" ...

you see the founding fathers didn't create the "freedom of speech" provisions to make you comfortable,,, but to actually create freedom of speech, which unfortunately for the likes of you, includes speech you may not agree with.

No, you and Deez missed my point.

Freedom of speech does not allow you to stand up and yell fire in a movie theater, do you guys understand this?

White Supremacy is the equivalent, we went down this road 1939-45, remember? You cannot stand by "Freedom of Speech" when it threatens other's freedom.

If you guys were on an airplane, and a white guy with Nazi tats stood up and said, "I'm taking this plane down, because I see lots of Indians, Muslims,Asians here" are you going to stand by his "freedom of speech" (Deez and ceolwynn?) "oh he's allowed to say that, just because I don't agree doesn't matter" or are you going to jump up and kick his ass?

It's not about my agreeing or not agreeing, it's about being threatening towards others and that is what white supremacy is.

Edited by grumpyoldman

It would appear it's actually you who doesn't understand 'freedom of speech' as it pertains to the constitution. You might want to read up on the history. Take gom's yelling fire in a theater (falsely).

From Oliver Wendell Holmes - “The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic … . The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger.”

The decision says the First Amendment doesn’t protect false speech that is likely to cause immediate harm to others. It doesn’t say, “The government has plenty of ways to shut you up.”

And more clarification:

In America, we have extraordinary latitude in saying what we believe without fear of repression, making the U.S. a model for other nations. That’s why I’m always surprised when members of the news media suggest otherwise.
One recent example is a column by Chuck Goudie, a reporter at ABC-7 News in Chicago who writes in the Daily Herald of suburban Chicago. Here, in a column about the Occupy protests, is his take on freedom of speech:
“Perhaps more than any other part of the Constitution, the First Amendment right of “free speech” gets cited by Americans.
“Wrongly so.
“From an eighth-grader suspended for recording a song about why his teacher should be dead to the gay community members whose parade has been rerouted, the chorus sounds the same: ‘My right to free speech is being violated.’
“The problem with that is: The Constitution doesn’t guarantee you ‘free speech.’
“Despite what many seem to believe, the ‘freedom of speech’ guarantee in the Constitution doesn’t give you the right to say anything you want, anywhere you want.
“The First Amendment makes it unconstitutional for government to suppress speech (and ‘expression’ as it has come to include). That’s it.

Let the games begin...

Peaceful demonstrations...whether you agree with their message or not...is the cornerstone of American free speech and freedom of assembly...

From reading the article...I suspect the same group that goes around touting love and inclusion for all...calling everyone who does not agree with their agenda...bigots and haters...are the same people who brought knives to an otherwise peaceful rally...

The new face of politics in America...armed confrontation...this may end badly...police are ill equipped to handle all out mayhem...

Next time...both sides will be armed...one side for protection...they other to incite violence...

i can hear the foot steps of trump coming.

first ku klux klan guys went out and and now white supremacists!

more will come. even slavery might come back of this goes this way.

ku klux klan guys, neo nazis, white supremacists, they deserve all the beating in this world.

freedom of speech and protest? then all those muslim imams with hate speeches are going under this umbrella too. think wise USA or USA will fall back to racism and bigotry one more time!

Edited by Galactus

Freedom of speech does not allow you to stand up and yell fire in a movie theater, do you guys understand this?

White Supremacy is the equivalent, we went down this road 1939-45, remember? You cannot stand by "Freedom of Speech" when it threatens other's freedom.

If you guys were on an airplane, and a white guy with Nazi tats stood up and said, "I'm taking this plane down, because I see lots of Indians, Muslims,Asians here" are you going to stand by his "freedom of speech" (Deez and ceolwynn?) "oh he's allowed to say that, just because I don't agree doesn't matter" or are you going to jump up and kick his ass?

It's not about my agreeing or not agreeing, it's about being threatening towards others and that is what white supremacy is.

Falsely yelling "fire" in a theater or "I'm taking this plane down" on an aircraft is illegal. Rightly so as it puts people in immediate fear for their life. Marching and spewing hate, whether by white supremacists, radical Islamist's or black nationalists/supremacists, is not.

Edited by NovaBlue05

If they want to recreate Nazi Germany, they're going to need to do that somewhere else.

Moving the country back to where everything is run by white males is just not going to happen.

Thus, the Titanic-esqueTrump disaster come November.

As expected, the American white supremacists are DANGEROUS donald trump supporters!

Far right wing (fascists, Nazis, etc.) HATE groups -- his BASE.

Demonstrators battled with sticks, protest signs and other weapons as the Traditionalist Worker Party group – which said it wanted to assist supporters of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump – began setting up for a scheduled noon rally on the west steps of the Capitol.
Edited by Jingthing

I am no fan of Neo-Nazis but the fact is they had a permit to hold their rally.

OccamsRazor, can you provide the rest of us with a transcript of what they said at their rally that wasn't covered by "freedom of speech"?

The report says there were 30 people at the permitted rally.

California has a population of just under 39 million.

In my opinion, the best thing for everyone would have been to ignore these idiots and let them fade into obscurity.

Showing up for a an illegal (it wasn't permitted) counter-demonstration just gave them the publicity they crave.

all violent extremists are knobheads, not only Aryan nation, KKK and whatever, but also violent treehuggers, violent animal rights activists, violent anti-abortionists, violent anti-racists and violent leftists and anarchists.

I consider political violence to be the lowest of the low, all these violent people should be thrown the book at and spend as much time in jail as possible.

Edited by manarak

More about the links between the DANGEROUS donald trump movement and historic American fascist / white supremacist / Nazi movements in the USA.

It's well documented that American far right wing hate groups are all on board for trump.

More about the links between the DANGEROUS donald trump movement and historic American fascist / white supremacist / Nazi movements in the USA.

It's well documented that American far right wing hate groups are all on board for trump.

Congrats on the 70,000' th post JT.. That's quite an achievement.

More guns needed. 10 wounded wouldn't normally make the news in the US. The bar is normally set high for reporting of such things. four or 5 dead would be a minimum usually. More guns, more guns............oh wait, California does'nt like guns, it has gun controls, oh i get it 10 wounded using knives and sticks instead of 45 slain with guns.......yeah! way to go!

1) These are just your run-of-the-mill loser white supremacists, not some ISIS-inspired extremist trying for a high body count.

2) San Bernadino is in California and those strict gun laws didn't save any lives then.

Count me in. I don't have any sympathy for them, but freedom of speech is freedom of speech. Much of the left are not much better than these hatemongers. They are making a habit out of starting violence at any political event that they do not agree with.

You said: "Their political views deserve an ass-whoopin."

"it's about being threatening towards others and that is what white supremacy is."

According to your last paragragh, white supremacist can't even speak a word..

Just their presents makes you sound intimidated by them.

You must be "other" than a white guy?

Or one of those white guys, that doesn't want to look like a racist, so you always side with the minority?

Edited by D3030

Count me in. I don't have any sympathy for them, but freedom of speech is freedom of speech. Much of the left are not much better than these hatemongers. They are making a habit out of starting violence at any political event that they do not agree with.

you mean freedom of speech to do racism?

what i understand, when it comes to f ing small dick white supremacists, it is freedom of speech.

you allow this freedom now later on they might start to hang colored people like before to express their freedom!

Nazis want to take f.e. human rights away from certain people!

But they demand human rights for themselves?

Yupp...deserve all the @$$- kicking they get!

you mean freedom of speech to do racism?

what i understand, when it comes to f ing small dick white supremacists, it is freedom of speech.

you allow this freedom now later on they might start to hang colored people like before to express their freedom!

Pretty simple: when it's right wing points of view, it is freedom of speech...no matter how racist or hateful!

But when it is Black Lives Matter or any peaceful (!!!) Muslim, it is terrorism and has to be banned!