Desperate British family begs for help to bring dying sister home from Thailand

webfact

They are desperate now,,,but they were not desperate enough to go on a holiday with no insurance,,,Self inflicted Drama let the Family sort out this one,,,Not an TV news,,,coffee1.gif

Pleas to your fellow countrymen to help meet an unexpected and unmanageable medical bill through the UK national press* are part of the fabric of life in the UK (and in other countries I dare say). As another poster says, Brits usually come up with the support in such cases (I'm pleased to say as a fellow countryman by origin).

The family are probably not totally blameworthy - probably never even thought about enquiring after their relative's insurance status before she left for Thailand. Vaguely possible they were distant and did not even know she was coming here.

Local charitable support is probably the best solution IMO. Not a job for Governments and not a case where we should 'som nam nar' the family on the basis of incomplete knowledge of the facts.

*The report is from a Uk newspaper website and the family are not targeting our support or sympathy here in Thailand

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it.

If as the article stated that she had health problems since she was young surely there would have been travel insurance and this would cover the medical expenses .

Absolutely not.

If she had a pre-existing condition as you state, then she wouldn't get medical insurance for it. She would have to declare it when she applied and thy would exclude anything to do with that condition from the policy, if they even agreed cover at all.

If she didn't declare the condition, and the insurance company discovered it later (and they would because the hospital is under an obligation to tell them) they wouldn't pay the costs.

This is standard in all insurance policies.

That's not necessarily correct regarding pre-existing medical conditions. If they are declared, they MAY be covered, usually for an additional premium. However, some pre-existing conditions will not be covered. My own annual policy has two conditions declared and both are covered for a negligible ap.

Maybe she couldnt get insured or she wouldnt be covered if she left her home town ( due to better care & facilities ) an ins company policy )

Just had that happen in Auss

If it was a pre-existing condition then the insurance would not cover.

Insurance companies will insure existing medical conditions if you state them. The price of the insurance would be adjusted accordingly of course. There are insurance companies that act specifically for medical conditions such as cancer and heart problems.

"Roamer" said that his Insurance Company would not increase if there are existing conditions.

"There are many insurance companies out there that cover existing illnesses, in fact many conditions are covered with no increase in premiums if declared."

I chose "Roamer" as my Insurance broker.

Only waiting for his answer now.

I stand by what I said by what I said in the quote above, not how you interpret it, read the T&C on any policy to find out what is covered. Example asthma covered by LV insurance and others for no increase unless you have been hospitalised by it or have to use a nebuliser.

This was your post.

" If it was a pre-existing condition then the insurance would not cover."

Completely, absolutely glaringly wrong. What don't you get about that.

Not sure being a smartass is a coverable condition.

For anything else short of death you can try a company like http://www.freespirittravelinsurance.com/ and if you can't afford the premiums then you can't afford to travel.

Edited by roamer

FACT, thai hospitals would let you die if you didn't have insurance.

I had a near fatal wound, went to 3 hospitals, all they did was look and deny me since i had no insurance, I decided to go to a friends hospital. (not his but he works there). then they patched up my NEAR FATAL WOUND with 36 stitches and 6000baht. the other hospitals lost their online presence privileges. .

The next of kin should fly out, talk to the doctors & then make a decision to "unplug"

If I was the Doctor I would keep her going until family made the decision.

As mentioned can you imagine the headline if the Doctor let her go

BANGKOK HOSPITAL KILLS BRITISH PATIENT.

As for keeping her alive, maybe get a doctor with no connections to the hospital to give a second opinion.

If the family are unhappy with the decision then they should pay for a third doctor to examine the lady.

My advice if someone kicks the bucket in Thailand, get them cremated there... even if they have insurance for repatriation I am sure the insurance will make good offer on this.

Then get the urn couriered back or brought back in person, I am sure it is acceptable for many faith's to hold a funeral service with an urn instead of a coffin.

FACT, thai hospitals would let you die if you didn't have insurance.

I had a near fatal wound, went to 3 hospitals, all they did was look and deny me since i had no insurance, I decided to go to a friends hospital. (not his but he works there). then they patched up my NEAR FATAL WOUND with 36 stitches and 6000baht. the other hospitals lost their online presence privileges. .

Sounds unlikely. While I have never been in a near fatal wound situation like you, I have been in emergency situations and every time, I was treated first THEN either my insurance was requested or a bill was presented. This is standard procedure at MOST Thai hospitals, though I only ever go to the private ones, never the government ones.

In any case, how would they know how much to charge you if they haven't even treated you yet?

I have vivid memories of driving up a friend who was in the middle of a heart attack to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital years ago.

I had picked him up at his hotel after a call from his Thai partner there, he was conscious but in a pretty bad shape.

I recall seeing him lying on a stretcher at the ER entrance, nobody paying much attention to him UNTIL the lady at the registration desk got what she was asking for i.e. someone's credit card (it was mine). He was taken right away and received the appropriate care.

I can't help but wondering what would have happened if I didn't have this credit card to show...

So keep running up the bill until someone comes to pay it,thinking the higher it gets the more likely that will happen?TiT! coffee1.gif
(They might be in for a shock at the hospital accounts department by the sound of it!)