Americans! The Sausage King has done it....

FolkGuitar

He's re-created "Jimmy Dean's Breakfast Sausage" almost perfectly!

While the texture is just a wee bit too dense (too fine a grind...) the taste is spot on!

Although American-style breakfast sausage isn't a complicated recipe; basically it's just sage, black pepper, thyme and marjoram, getting the right balance is difficult. The Sausage King has done it.

My hat's off you, sir! Give it a courser grind and you will have old Jimmy smilin' down from his place in Texas heaven!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I crave Johnsonville breakfast sausage links, and have never found a suitable substitute in Asia. If you're right, this will be close enough, even though I prefer links to patties. Thanks for the tip!

Now I'm craving some nice hot Italian sausage with some marinara sauce and a good coating of real Parmesan cheese :)

He's re-created "Jimmy Dean's Breakfast Sausage" almost perfectly!

While the texture is just a wee bit too dense (too fine a grind...) the taste is spot on!

Although American-style breakfast sausage isn't a complicated recipe; basically it's just sage, black pepper, thyme and marjoram, getting the right balance is difficult. The Sausage King has done it.

My hat's off you, sir! Give it a courser grind and you will have old Jimmy smilin' down from his place in Texas heaven!

Jimmy might be more frustrated than smiling.....Given that all the lawyers are at the other place he can't get one & sue for infringement.....

Well it is worse that the whole of Asia thinks hot dogs as sausages......I use the Alton Brown recipe with extra cayenne and add nutmeg.

Nutmeg, mace, and powdered ginger belong in cookies and cakes... not in sausages. THAT is what goes into British bangers.... Vile things..... LOL!

Well it is worse that the whole of Asia thinks hot dogs as sausages......I use the Alton Brown recipe with extra cayenne and add nutmeg.

Nutmeg, mace, and powdered ginger belong in cookies and cakes... not in sausages. THAT is what goes into British bangers.... Vile things..... LOL!

You can keep eating the MSG-laden processed crap and we'll have the proper sossies thanks.

(Who puts ginger in sausages? Oh, probably JImmy Dean, look at some of these lame efforts! http://www.jimmydean.com/products/fresh-sausage)

thumbsup.gif

P.S. The Scottish invented Square Sausage and all Americans have done is turned it into a round, tasteless, mass market "patty".

Added: Not for the dieter.... tongue.png

The Scottish Lorne sausage is quite high in calories, though some butchers are now making some low fat ones for their customers. The high fat content, usually 20%, is needed to prevent them drying out during cooking.

It is usually made from equal measures of minced beef and pork (450g), an egg to bind the ingredients with rusk such as breadcrumbs (170g) and salt and pepper seasoning. Spices used in a traditional square sausage recipe will be nutmeg and coriander seed to give the much loved spicy flavour. Just a teaspoon of each.

These are then mixed together in a large bowl and if the mixture gets too dry water can be added. The Lorne sausage recipe can then be formed into a huge rectangular shape block and cut individually as needed to a thickness of 10mm. This is then gently fried, much like bacon, turning once, until brown. The raw block or slices can be frozen and defrosted when needed.

If Sausage King can make those he'll have a the place packed with even more people that never tip.

gigglem.gif

Edited by Chicog

Rob does a great job keeping Flangs in food from back home, wherever that may be.

I have 4 of his Lamb Curries in my freezer along with a pack of 6 Bratwurst.

He assurs me that a new delivery of imported UK 'Treats' is due this week, so first in line may stand behind me.

john

And Toni, Yummy Pizza is now doing an excellent Lamb Shank, Irish Stew style, been pigging out on them for last week.

You can keep eating the MSG-laden processed crap and we'll have the proper sossies thanks.

(Who puts ginger in sausages?

thumbsup.gif

Not only nutmeg, mace, and powdered ginger, but half a pound of bread crumbs! LOL!!!!

To be fair, some of the recipes I found for British Bangers used crushed oats instead of breadcrumbs... *snort*

In sausages, no less.... cheesy.gif !!!!

But the fact is, I'd probably like them... if they had any flavor. whistling.gif

Edited by FolkGuitar

(Who puts ginger in sausages?

thumbsup.gif

Not only nutmeg, mace, and powdered ginger, but half a pound of bread crumbs! LOL!!!!

To be fair, some of the recipes I found for British Bangers used crushed oats instead of breadcrumbs... *snort*

In sausages, no less.... cheesy.gif !!!!

But the fact is, I'd probably like them... if they had any flavor. whistling.gif

I don't know where you're getting your recipes. Is this for the Jiimy Dean Maple sausage or something? Or is it an American trying to make proper sausages and failing dismally?

Ginger indeed, you'd have to be a bit of a ginger if you think you should put that in sausages.

Stick to your factory processed patties mate.

biggrin.png

SAUSAGE WAR!!!! Tensions running high between the Brits and Yanks as the 4th of July approaches!!!

I am obviously more superior to you because my country makes the superior sausage (both these statements my in fact be incorrect ;) )

Yeah....Nutmeg, used in most American breakfast sausage recipes. .....mace. well perhaps your one of those guys that puts ketchup on his pizza eh Folk?

British Banger Recipes:

http://honest-food.net/2014/10/09/bangers-sausage-recipe-homemade/ MACE, NUTMEG, BREADCRUMBS The stuff we use for cookies and cakes....

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/english-banger-51302531 GINGER, NUTMEG, BREADCRUMBS The stuff we use for cookies and cakes...

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/03/homemade-british-bangers-and-the-search-for-rusk.html GINGER, MACE, NUTMEG The stuff we use for cookies and cakes...

The list of recipes is endless.... Just do a search of British Banger recipes and it will turn up page after page

of these horrible things. And almost every recipe calls for GINGER, MACE, NUTMEG, AND BREADCRUMBS.

I will agree that good British Cumberland Sausage is a tasty treat. But that's because it tastes rather like American Breakfast sausage... It's all that Sage, you see. But still filled with more breadcrumbs...

No nutmeg in American Breakfast sausage though... Lots of sage, marjoram, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and NO BREADCRUMBS!

Edited by FolkGuitar

The stuff you buy frozen might be okay, but the breakfast there at the "location" is total crap. It really puts paid to the idea of, "If you want a good breakfast, make it yourself."

How to fry an egg? An omelet? Total oily nuke job....total disappointment. I understand the "man" is a Brit, but really? You can't teach your people how to make an omelet or fried egg? It's a total joke. Eggs are the easiest thing to make, but not here, even under the stewardship of a white person.

Edited by Trujillo

Rob's cook is away on family business so Breakfast is not at it's best, but my poached eggs are fine and his bacon is grilled on a hotplate.

The Sunday lunch is still outstanding value for money.

Yes Rob is British but he seems to please his Yank customers, the Jimmy Dean selling well to his supermarket outlets, which are expanding both in Thailand and internationally.

john

At Last !

A real breakfast.

Thank you Trump...for making breakfast Great Again.

Sausage King is only 500 meters south of our home. (our last home...we moved a few months ago)

Hope he didn't loose his Appendage into the mixture.

(Finger of course.... what else?)

Edited by Torrens54