Patong tuk-tuk driver, four others, arrested for assault on Swedish tourist

webfact

The tuk- tuks sit at end of Bangla RD. I lived there and once I wanted to return to Nicky's handlebar bar, and tuk-tuk wanted 500 baht and if you been there its around the other side of beach road 1/2 k Thieves they are and rude.

quality tourist how about quality tourist providers.

Get a scooter. Rent one for ST stay or buy one for LT stay

I'd take my chances with the tuk-tuk drivers before I rented a scooter which will not be covered under the vast majority of travel insurance, and will come with inadequate (or no) insurance from the rental place. Plus the risk of being caught up in the scooter scams.

And I haven't read about too many deaths by tuk-tuk drivers, but plenty of deaths by rental scooters.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take my chances with the tuk-tuk drivers before I rented a scooter which will not be covered under the vast majority of travel insurance, and will come with inadequate (or no) insurance from the rental place. Plus the risk of being caught up in the scooter scams.

And I haven't read about too many deaths by tuk-tuk drivers, but plenty of deaths by rental scooters.

That's the dilema .... danger on scooter versus obnoxious Tuk Tuk drivers. For once I will reinforce NKM's stance on public transport.

About time one of these abusive TukTuk drivers is arrested for assault. Likely a small fine or no fine at all ...

Yes maybe but the Swedish guy was drunk so how do u know it woz prob him that caused the trouble?

And we all know the Swedish love their drink,just as bad as the British. (Yes I'm English) ???

About time one of these abusive TukTuk drivers is arrested for assault. Likely a small fine or no fine at all ...

Yes maybe but the Swedish guy was drunk so how do u know it woz prob him that caused the trouble?

And we all know the Swedish love their drink,just as bad as the British. (Yes I'm English) ???

Well we read that the Swedish guy was NOT arrested for assault ....

we loaded into a tuk tuk with two Germans, The driver told them 300 baht for both for drive to their hotel. The smaller of the two went nuts. Yelling at him, saying, 'You're f**king crazy. You're ripping us off.' Driver responds calmly, 'I take you long way.' That German jammed the money in his hand, as the other remained silent, then told him to 'F Off' as he walked to hotel entrance. My wife and I were the last to get out. There was a bag still sitting on the seat. The driver asked us if it was ours. It was the Germans. We wondered, where that was going to end up.

What comes around goes around tongue.png

The tuk- tuks sit at end of Bangla RD. I lived there and once I wanted to return to Nicky's handlebar bar, and tuk-tuk wanted 500 baht and if you been there its around the other side of beach road 1/2 k Thieves they are and rude.

quality tourist how about quality tourist providers.

"scooter which will not be covered under the vast majority of travel insurance" - "risk of being caught up in the scooter scams." - "plenty of deaths by rental scooters."

Really, better stay home in your country, lol to dangerous for you in the real world. lol tongue.png laugh.png blink.png

That's the dilema .... danger on scooter versus obnoxious Tuk Tuk drivers. For once I will reinforce NKM's stance on public transport.

I do not get drunk and I always like to have Gas and brake lever, in my hands!!! lol Since 1990 it worked good enough in Thailand like that. thumbsup.gif

Tuk-tuk driver Natee Dechaoop is a very, very small man, with a heart the size of a grape. He refuses to ever fight another man, unless he is joined by three or four other idiot friends. He might consider fighting a woman, or a child. But, never another man without either a lethal weapon, or several other men. What a wimp. Let us hope some miracle happens, and he is charged with a crime of some sort. Battery and assault come to mind.

Phuket tuk-tuks are some of the greatest offenders in the country. They are famous the world over. The only reason nothing is ever done about it, is that their union (the mafia) is more powerful than both the local police, and the army. That is the only reasonable explanation.

The union ...eh I guess you mean Governance of Phuket!

Really, better stay home in your country, lol to dangerous for you in the real world. lol

Been living and working in Asia for 15 years. Which means I should know better than to rent a scooter in Thailand. Do you?

Really, better stay home in your country, lol to dangerous for you in the real world. lol

Been living and working in Asia for 15 years. Which means I should know better than to rent a scooter in Thailand. Do you?

In my case, obviously not. Have been driving a scooter here for over thirty years. How could I be so stupid?

In my case, obviously not. Have been driving a scooter here for over thirty years. How could I be so stupid?

I gave up driving my m/bike almost 10 years ago. Only drive a car these days.

Wauw, 15 years, wink.png - and, I came first to Thailand 1990, (26 years+)rolleyes.gif than nearly every year twice,

since 1998 I live here permanently,

until 2008 mostly in Phuket and Chayaphum, now in Udon Thani.

I rented scooter and motorbikes all over the world my whole adult life,

more then once, from Mallorca to Madeira = BMW, in Greece, from Karpathos to Kefallonia to Samos and Lesbos, drove them on Ikaria and Ithaka too and more ........

Drove and rented also on Sri Lanka - the worst!, mechanical failures lol biggrin.png

and in Cambodia from Phnom Penh and from Koh Kong and Sihanoukville,

drove Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville - Koh Kong myself. dozens of times rented in Patong.

Drove from Phuket to Satun = South Western Thailand, to Koh Samui and Ranong, threw Bangkok to - Nong Khai - Udon Thani - Mukdahan on my bike.

I owned and own motor bikes in my home country and in Thailand, even now - up to 1.000 cc and yes, you should know how to drive well, but to much fear brings you now where!

In all that time I had accidents too, with my bikes and with rented ones or once, with a borrowed 400 cc Suzuki GSX-R Sport bike (Phuket) - that was even a "total loss"

(I had a "mini brain stroke" and black out blink.png during a hot drive from Patong to Kathu!)

but cannot tell you about one scam happening to me, anywhere! thumbsup.gif

Sorry, if I have forgotten an adventure or a country, I get old! tongue.png

-KarenBravo-

Right! thumbsup.gif

What I prefer,

special in such a country same Thailand, with nearly the highest road death rate per 100.000 inhabitants p. year, in the world,

is, to have the gas and the brake in my hands and my feet, under my control!

Fast or slow, what gear, I decide! tongue.png

If you have no confidence in you capabilities - ok, stay with other people driving for you. whistling.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Sorry to read that, its a lot of fun to drive on 2 wheels, thumbsup.gif

But special on Phuket are cars for me to much stuck in traffic, I drive there only with a car if necessary.

Remember,

some years ago I had been stuck in traffic with Pick up and my small boys, family from Surin beach coning back at rush hour time 5 PM,

late afternoon outside Patong-Kalim, for an hour+ until I could come inside to Patong !

5 minutes or less with a scooter or bigger Motorbike.

Not much different over the Kathu mountain same time, tongue.png give you any time a car and let me drive the scooter on Phuket! I know how to use him! laugh.pngwink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

snip

It's also a lot of fun to drive 2 seater sports car with top open thumbsup.gif That was the deal when wife wanted me to give up my crazy bike driving.

These days I try hard to get her to give up her m/bike drive down to Kata market each day and use her SUV ...

snip

It's also a lot of fun to drive 2 seater sports car with top open thumbsup.gif That was the deal when wife wanted me to give up my crazy bike driving.

These days I try hard to get her to give up her m/bike drive down to Kata market each day and use her SUV ...

No photo = Did not (really) happen lol tongue.png

And - I can believe that such a small car with top open, is fun,thumbsup.gif

but still around Patong and Phuket town you are stuck in traffic and the 2 wheeler is gone in the front, out of sight. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

Maybe a two-seater with the top down was fun 15 to 20 years ago, but, not now.

How'd you like to be stuck in traffic with a truck's exhaust pipe belching exhaust at you from only a few feet away?.

No air-con when you're not moving? No thanks.

You're not on a short term stay renting an underinsured scooter in an unfamiliar traffic environment. Big difference.

I'd even ride a jet ski in Thailand if it belonged to me. Rent one? Nope.

Edited by impulse

So its official, Isis is in Phuket and they are picking fights with tuk tuk drivers, and sporting fake passports with very Swedish names, look at that beard though! Dead give away. Cant fool thai visa.

Edited by Kaalle

Wauw, 15 years, wink.png - and, I came first to Thailand 1990, (26 years+)rolleyes.gif than nearly every year twice,

since 1998 I live here permanently,

until 2008 mostly in Phuket and Chayaphum, now in Udon Thani.

I rented scooter and motorbikes all over the world my whole adult life,

more then once, from Mallorca to Madeira = BMW, in Greece, from Karpathos to Kefallonia to Samos and Lesbos, drove them on Ikaria and Ithaka too and more ........

Drove and rented also on Sri Lanka - the worst!, mechanical failures lol

and in Cambodia from Phnom Penh and from Koh Kong and Sihanoukville,

drove Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville - Koh Kong myself. dozens of times rented in Patong.

Drove from Phuket to Satun = South Western Thailand, to Koh Samui and Ranong, threw Bangkok to - Nong Khai - Udon Thani - Mukdahan on my bike.

I owned and own motor bikes in my home country and in Thailand, even now - up to 1.000 cc and yes, you should know how to drive well, but to much fear brings you now where!

In all that time I had accidents too, with my bikes and with rented ones or once, with a borrowed 400 cc Suzuki GSX-R Sport bike (Phuket) - that was even a "total loss"

(I had a "mini brain stroke" and black out during a hot drive from Patong to Kathu!)

but cannot tell you about one scam happening to me, anywhere!

Sorry, if I have forgotten an adventure or a country, I get old!

The vast majority of the GI’s who stormed Omaha Beach in 1944 survived, with amazing stories to tell their kids and grandkids.

The vast majority of tourists renting scooters in Thailand do, too.

But the fact that they survived, doesn’t mean they weren't at tremendous risk every minute.

Edited by impulse

The vast majority of the GI’s who stormed Omaha Beach in 1944 survived, with amazing stories to tell their kids and grandkids.

The vast majority of tourists renting scooters in Thailand do, too.

But the fact that they survived, doesn’t mean they weren't at tremendous risk every minute.

As I wrote -

If you have no confidence in your capabilities - ok, stay with other people driving for you. whistling.gif

And -

What I prefer, special in such a country same Thailand,

with nearly the highest road death rate per 100.000 inhabitants p. year, in the world, is,

to have the gas and the brake in my hands and my feet, under my control!

Fast or slow, what gear, I decide!

Do not like to be in a Bus who rolls backwards on Kathu - Patong hill! tongue.png

But-

overestimation of your own driving abilities, is surely also not good,

or driving without any, or very few abilities , drunk and without helmet - or a real one, not a salad bowl, - on top of that! blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Click on the link below and I'll say no more about renting a scooter as a safer option than the tuk-tuk mafia.

Except, that if one tourist reads this thread and thinks twice about renting a mode of transport on the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world, a mode that's 20-40x as dangerous as their 4 wheel options, and a mode that comes with risks of being scammed, I'm going to chalk it up in the win column.

Long stay expats, guys with a love of scooters (big ones and little ones), and people who know what they're getting into, enjoy! I ride scooter taxis 3-5 times a day in BKK, fully aware of the odds. Saves me hours in traffic that I'd never get back.

But to recommend renting a Thai scooter to a tourist fresh off the airplane is irresponsible. Crazy dangerous and vulnerable to scams that make the tuk-tuk guys -bad as they are- look pretty good.

Warning, graphic photos:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=thailand+scooter+deaths&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4kNiHqNLNAhXKr48KHe49DXcQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=947

Edited by impulse

This is the reason why Phuket province has the worst road fatality statistics in Thailand - no proper public transport.

You can rent a motorbike for 200 baht day, and tuk-tuks charge 200 baht for a 1 kilometer journey. So many chose to hire a motorbike, based on cost alone.

This ultimately results in more traffic, inexperienced riders, unfamiliar roads, poor road construction, and with the majority of road users being intoxicated at night, and is it little wonder that Phuket's roads are possibly the world's most dangerous.

For those that say they do not ride / drive intoxicated, the majority of drivers / riders, at night, coming the other direction, are intoxicated, to various levels.

You may be doing the right thing, but so many others here do not.

Setting aside the actions of the cowardly attackers there is a loud message in this story for a lot of people.

Don't stagger home drunk alone at 3.45 am, particularly in Patong or Pattaya.

He is lucky to be alive given the penchant these days to bring out the slash and stab weaponry.

No need to "stagger home" in Pattaya when, for 10 baht, a baht bus drops the majority of tourists, locals and expats, a matter of meters from their accommodation.

Less traffic, less accidents, less injuries, less death, less robbery.

First there was the jet ski scam, next you won't be seeing tourists catching tuk tuk's, I for one have never riden a jet ski in Thailand, and I can ride, I have never caught a tuk tuk because when I asked many years ago for a ride back from where I had been, the price went up 100 baht, nothing really, so I declined, only to have the tuk tuk driver in the que say; ok 200 baht same same, I kept walking, and enjoyed every minute of it down the hill till I hailed a motorbike taxi who took me home for 20 baht.

I have a very fair one way policy with Thai's, my way, or your way, if its your way, you must treat me as if was a Thai, otherwise its my way, and more money in my pocket.

Eventually the tuk tuk's will fade out as did the jet-ski's, as will the number in tourists remain down down down, pride and ego destroys, competition opens opportunities.