Night fire guts pub on Soi Thonglor, Bangkok

webfact

Night fire guts pub on Soi Thonglor

fff.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A night fire broke out at Funky Villa pub on Soi Thonglor off Sukhumvit road last night, damaging almost the entire pub building.

Thonglor station police said the fire happened at about 2.30am Tuesday after the pub was closed.

Fire engines from Bangkok Metropolitan Metropolitan Administration rushed to the scene a few minutes after being alerted.

It took them an hour to keep the fire from spreading after the entire building was gutted.

Initial investigation revealed that the fire started at the kitchen as some 40 employees of the pub were cleaning after the pub was closed.

They saw smoke coming out of the ceiling of the kitchen.

They used fire extinguishers to put out the fire but it spread quickly beyond their control.

They later called in fire engines, police said.

Nobody was injured in the fire which police initially blamed electrical short circuit as cause of fire.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/night-fire-guts-pub-soi-thonglor/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-28

Is this near the Get Drunk Here pub, owned by the guy who owned Uncle Drunk pub near Udomsuk? smile.png

No idea what the Get Drunk Here Pub is, never heard of it. Doesn't sound very high class.

And although I've lived in Udomsuk for 4 years or more I've never seen or heard of Uncle Drunk Pub either.....

Is this near the Get Drunk Here pub, owned by the guy who owned Uncle Drunk pub near Udomsuk? smile.png

No idea what the Get Drunk Here Pub is, never heard of it. Doesn't sound very high class.

And although I've lived in Udomsuk for 4 years or more I've never seen or heard of Uncle Drunk Pub either.....

They were both still standing several years back, but likely pulled down now - the first was an abandoned building with the sign still up (it was open about 15 years ago, that I can recall), while the second was on Suk near Udomsuk and quite prominent. Don't fret if you can't find them, I'm just having a bit of bar stool humor. Having a light dig at the names given to some pubs a few years back.

Real pity as this was one of the best clubs to go and meet nice Thai girls.

Any idea where the next best club to go to to meet nice Thai girls?

Depends on your definition of nice girls. I was using the word nice to mean worth bothering with, as in "they are not dirt poor and looking for a farang to support them"

Sway at the complex where Funky Villa was is still there, it's less of a club and more of a bar with food, but it does attract some of the hotties who go down there.

Muse on Thonglor Soi 10 is still popular

The hard thing in Bangkok is finding the places that the right crowd go and then being there often enough that you become recognised as a regular.

Once you manage that you can start developing friendships with HiSo Thais and once you do that then you'll get invited to go out with them and meet more cool people.

funky was a very nice place. prices weren't even bad either. actuall in some cases lower than low end nana or cowboy restaurants/pubs.

very few hookers went there. at RCA there are 2 big upscale clubs. route 66 has 3 music halls, one being live band. mainly non hookers although usually there are some. they target money either asian tourists or thais with money. easy to spot.

onyx is the 2nd big club. both places lots of eye candy and you dont get hassled by girls trying to get your money. cashiers are polite and never ask for a tip when they give you change for the entrance fee. the demanding entitlement greedy farang give me a big tip mentality is not there, thank god.

recently a house band at a tourist pub demanded 500 baht for a song request double u Tee F

theres a bunch of smaller places on that same street that are quite nice. a place i like with good food and live music is near route 66 and is called lax.

Edited by atyclb

Real pity as this was one of the best clubs to go and meet nice Thai girls.

Any idea where the next best club to go to to meet nice Thai girls?

Depends on your definition of nice girls. I was using the word nice to mean worth bothering with, as in "they are not dirt poor and looking for a farang to support them"

Sway at the complex where Funky Villa was is still there, it's less of a club and more of a bar with food, but it does attract some of the hotties who go down there.

Muse on Thonglor Soi 10 is still popular

The hard thing in Bangkok is finding the places that the right crowd go and then being there often enough that you become recognised as a regular.

Once you manage that you can start developing friendships with HiSo Thais and once you do that then you'll get invited to go out with them and meet more cool people.

i would like to broaden that definition of dirt poor girls looking for welfare to even some lower middle class and perhaps some middle level girls that seek to broaden their financial horizons also to be avoided imo

funky was a very nice place. prices weren't even bad either. actuall in some cases lower than low end nana or cowboy restaurants/pubs.

very few hookers went there. at RCA there are 2 big upscale clubs. route 66 has 3 music halls, one being live band. mainly non hookers although usually there are some. they target money either asian tourists or thais with money. easy to spot.

onyx is the 2nd big club. both places lots of eye candy and you dont get hassled by girls trying to get your money. cashiers are polite and never ask for a tip when they give you change for the entrance fee. the demanding entitlement greedy farang give me a big tip mentality is not there, thank god.

recently a house band at a tourist pub demanded 500 baht for a song request double u Tee F

theres a bunch of smaller places on that same street that are quite nice. a place i like with good food and live music is near route 66 and is called lax.

I've not been out to RCA in a while. It always feels like such a long way to go (and a long way to get back to anywhere else).

But I like the sound of Onyx.

Thanks for the tip.

I've not been out to RCA in a while. It always feels like such a long way to go (and a long way to get back to anywhere else).

Thanks for the tip.

i usually grab some food and inexpensive drinks at LAX then check out onyx and/or route 66. the owner at lAX went to university in usa and lived there many years and is more western than thai. near native english, progressive and funny. it used to be a jazz club but now is a restaurant and music venue.

beware of all taxis that hang out at rca entrance. they are cheats. walk 1-2 minutes away from rca and normal taxis will stop. normal taxis wont stop at rca entrance cause they dont want friction with mafia taxis. even thais dont like them. they cheat everyone.

Thanks for the tip.

i usually grab some food and inexpensive drinks at LAX then check out onyx and/or route 66. the owner at lAX went to university in usa and lived there many years and is more western than thai. near native english, progressive and funny. it used to be a jazz club but now is a restaurant and music venue.

beware of all taxis that hang out at rca entrance. they are cheats. walk 1-2 minutes away from rca and normal taxis will stop. normal taxis wont stop at rca entrance cause they dont want friction with mafia taxis. even thais dont like them. they cheat everyone.

I was in RCA a few weeks ago at Bar 21, was quite a good night with some friends.

I will definitely check out LAX next time I go down there.

Been living in Bangkok long enough (8 years) to be know about walking a few minutes to get a cab. In fact I almost never get refused by taxis no matter where I am or what time of day/night it is.

I guess the people who claim to always get refused or have trouble are ones who don't know how the system works and how not to have issues.

Have you been to the bars etc along Phra Athit road? I've was there recently and it looked like quite a lively scene, unfortunately I was with people who didn't feel like partying that night.