Political pressure grows in post Brexit Britain

webfact

Political pressure grows in post Brexit Britain

606x341_336908.jpg

Britain’s opposition Labour Party in turmoil
Corbyn to face no confidence motion
Conservatives set out timetable for leadership battle

LONDON: -- Britain’s ruling party and opposition are both in crisis as the fallout continues from Britain’s Brexit vote.

Another scalp could be claimed late Tuesday afternoon with embattled opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn facing a motion of no confidence.

Despite enjoying widespread support among grass roots Labour members who turned out in force on Monday to encourage Corbyn not to quit, the Labour leader is under pressure from his party’s MPs to go.

Members of Labour’s shadow cabinet and front bench have criticised his leadership and lacklustre efforts to keep Britain inside the European Union. But even though almost half his policy team has resigned Corbyn remains defiant. He says he intends to retain control of the party and will stand again if it comes to another leadership election.

Britain’s government is also embroiled in turmoil. Prime Minister David Cameron’s decision to resign following the shock result of the EU referendum has triggered a leadership battle.

Conservative leadership election rules
Those wishing to stand have from Wednesday evening (June 29) until Thursday noon (June 30) to submit their intention to run.

The party’s 1922 committee will oversee the contest in which MPs will pick two candidates from all those wishing to stand. The two will then be put to the wider membership.

The suggested timetable is for a leader to be in place in time for the party’s autumn conference, which starts on October 2 – the deadline David Cameron had set when he announced his intention to resign.

Likely candidates
Among those expected to launch a bid to succeed Cameron is health secretary Jeremy Hunt.

He has already come out saying Britain could call a second referendum on EU membership if it can broker a deal with Brussels to allow full control of its borders.

However a YouGov opinion poll has indicated that Home Secretary Theresa May scored better than former London mayor and Brexit leader Boris Johnson on who would make the best prime minister among both the general public and Conservative voters.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-28

Mmmmm ! Betty I think the cat did a woopsy on the referendum.

Baldric has a cunning plan, he will go up against the EU, bluffing with a pair of two's when the rest of the of the EU has a full house, good plan.

The UK can always do some tap dancing Benny hill style, just to draw attention from the real issues

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the establishment is not prepared to accept the result of the EU referendum and are playing for time (with a connivance of Merkel and Co) in order to soften us all up for a second vote to reverse the outcome.

The leadership bid by the odious Jeremy Hunt and his weasel strategy for rejecting the will of the majority of British people - in a referendum which attracted a huge 72 percent turnout - makes my stomach churn.

What if the result had been the other way round - and by a similar margin? Would there be the same cleverly-orchestrated, media-led clamour for a re-run? Of course not.

And to think most Brexiters imagined their votes would ride us, once and for all, of the dirty tricks politics and venal politicians like Cameron, Osborne and Hunt who have made our lives a misery for so long.

Plus ca change!

Boris and the Brexit boys are the ones playing for time. He has constantly said that there is no hurry to leave. But hurry or not it will stay take over two years.

Ironically the campaign for a second referendum was started before the voting had taken place by a Brexit supporter who assumed they would lose. That is fact. Just shows how stupid this whole scenario is.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the establishment is not prepared to accept the result of the EU referendum and are playing for time (with a connivance of Merkel and Co) in order to soften us all up for a second vote to reverse the outcome.

<snip>

Utter nonsense.

Edited by JetsetBkk

<snip>

Utter nonsense.

Don't be so sure. Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet. Until then . . .

<snip>

Utter nonsense.

Quite so. Nigel Farage said in May already that he would demand a second referendum if they lost by a very small margin (like 52-48). And now that they have won by that margin it's suddenly as if they've won by a landslide and "the people" have spoken. It will be interesting to see if all those pro-Brexit voters are still laughing next year, when England will be in a recession and everybody's income will have taken quite a hit.

Boris and the Brexit boys are the ones playing for time. He has constantly said that there is no hurry to leave. But hurry or not it will stay take over two years.

Ironically the campaign for a second referendum was started before the voting had taken place by a Brexit supporter who assumed they would lose. That is fact. Just shows how stupid this whole scenario is.

Source?

The Beano, Dandy and The Guardian don't count.

Edited by jesimps

<snip>

Utter nonsense.

Quite so. Nigel Farage said in May already that he would demand a second referendum if they lost by a very small margin (like 52-48). And now that they have won by that margin it's suddenly as if they've won by a landslide and "the people" have spoken. It will be interesting to see if all those pro-Brexit voters are still laughing next year, when England will be in a recession and everybody's income will have taken quite a hit.

Instead of getting behind the country and making things work, you "Remain" crowd seem to be hoping the country goes to the dogs just to prove yourselves right. You'd be happy to keep the country in limbo by having referendum after referendum until the remain side won.

This was won on a democratic vote, respect it. Pity the tower isn't big enough to hold you lefty whingers.

I think you will find that it's Cameron that's playing for time. He said that he would activate Article 50 immediately after the vote if Brexit won but backtracked on this. It's his call, not Boris' or anybody else's

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the establishment is not prepared to accept the result of the EU referendum and are playing for time (with a connivance of Merkel and Co) in order to soften us all up for a second vote to reverse the outcome. The leadership bid by the odious Jeremy Hunt and his weasel strategy for rejecting the will of the majority of British people - in a referendum which attracted a huge 72 percent turnout - makes my stomach churn. What if the result had been the other way round - and by a similar margin? Would there be the same cleverly-orchestrated, media-led clamour for a re-run? Of course not. And to think most Brexiters imagined their votes would ride us, once and for all, of the dirty tricks politics and venal politicians like Cameron, Osborne and Hunt who have made our lives a misery for so long. Plus ca change!

Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

Spain and Belgium will block an independent Scotland.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11054187/Spain-and-Belgium-would-veto-an-independent-Scotlands-EU-membership.html

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

That was a surmise from an Irish politician. Not a statement of fact.

Are we only dealing in facts, now? That'd be a first. dry.png

<snip>

Utter nonsense.

I guess this is an example of Nigel attempting to heal old wounds . and be gracious in victory.

Edited by Suradit69

A strange statement after her previous stance

• She said she would conduct the Brexit negotiations taking into account Germany and the EU’s own interests first and foremost. She also reassured Germans living in the UK that Germany would work to give them all the assurances they need about their future.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/28/brexit-live-cameron-eu-leaders-brussels-corbyn-confidence

I was under the impression the Merkel was the Chancellor of Germany and not some EU bureaucrat.

Why would she be conducting Brexit negotiations, unless of course Germany is really pulling the EU strings.

<snip>

Utter nonsense.

Instead of getting behind the country and making things work, you "Remain" crowd seem to be hoping the country goes to the dogs just to prove yourselves right. You'd be happy to keep the country in limbo by having referendum after referendum until the remain side won.

This was won on a democratic vote, respect it. Pity the tower isn't big enough to hold you lefty whingers.

Some of us may not have the time to wait for"things to work", it could take years! In the meantime our pensions will have lost around 8% (so far) on currency losses, not to mention our private investments which will likely take a hit twice over. I would hazard a guess that most of the people satisfied with the outcome didn't have a pot to p**s in in the first place!

<snip>

Utter nonsense.

I think you missed my point: Nigel Farage cum suis would be whinging just as hard had the Remain saide won by 52-48, and just as happy to keep the country in limbo by having referendum after referendum until the Brexit side won. And talking about keeping a country in limbo: no one on the Brexit side seems to be in any hurry to actualize said Brexit any time soon, which is causing all kinds of uncertainty and damage to the GB economy. And I'm really not hoping the country goes to the dogs, if that's what you think, I just pity everyone who will feel it in their wallet soon. Hope Scotland, Wales and Northern Island have the common sense to secede soon from this sinking ship.

I think you missed my point: Nigel Farage cum suis would be whinging just as hard had the Remain saide won by 52-48, and just as happy to keep the country in limbo by having referendum after referendum until the Brexit side won. And talking about keeping a country in limbo: no one on the Brexit side seems to be in any hurry to actualize said Brexit any time soon, which is causing all kinds of uncertainty and damage to the GB economy. And I'm really not hoping the country goes to the dogs, if that's what you think, I just pity everyone who will feel it in their wallet soon. Hope Scotland, Wales and Northern Island have the common sense to secede soon from this sinking ship.

You are just hashing up old news. Had the Remain side won, Nigel Farage can whinge as much as he likes, the result would stand and there wouldn't have been a second referendum. Since the Brexiters won, why on earth would he then call for a second ref?

Also, please try to keep up. It's not up to the Brexiters to activate Article 50 but the Parliament.

You are just hashing up old news. Had the Remain side won, Nigel Farage can whinge as much as he likes, the result would stand and there wouldn't have been a second referendum. Since the Brexiters won, why on earth would he then call for a second ref?

Also, please try to keep up. It's not up to the Brexiters to activate Article 50 but the Parliament.

I thought they were trying to imitate that oriental state that we all love so much and keep having elections until the right result gets a majority.biggrin.png

Which may well decide to opt for general elections rather than acting on Brexit.

Jesimps

Source was the Times but also it was raised and confirmed by James O'Brian. Look it up, it's not difficult

As for Cameron saying he would trigger article 50 directly after the referendum, well he couldn't could he. By resigning he hands over the responsibility of the timing to his successor. It takes three months from that point for a new PM to be found and appointed and as soon as she/he is then she/he can push the button as soon or as late as she/ he decides. Lets see what happens then shall we?

I loved Nigel's full blown rant at the EU meeting. I think it is always good to attack and insult the people you are going to be negotiating with. Guarantees you will get the best deal that way.

Edited by dunroaming

Which may well decide to opt for general elections rather than acting on Brexit.

Let's move on the discussion to what happens if there is a general election. All three parties will then be running on the ticket of Remain. What then? It still wouldn't change the result of the referendum. If anything, it would just dissatisfy the Brexiters

Let's move on the discussion to what happens if there is a general election. All three parties will then be running on the ticket of Remain. What then? It still wouldn't change the result of the referendum. If anything, it would just dissatisfy the Brexiters

What about UKIP?

FTSE100 closed yesterday at 5982, up 8% on year low & higher than 12 days ago, but UK media crack on with their biased negative press! Rome planning multi-billion euro rescue of precarious banking system as Italy's bank shares collapse in aftershock of Brexit. The weak EU financial markets are in real shit ,Italy and Spain .post-185211-14671251353753_thumb.jpg

Edited by kingalfred

Jesimps

Source was the Times but also it was raised and confirmed by James O'Brian. Look it up, it's not difficult

As for Cameron saying he would trigger article 50 directly after the referendum, well he couldn't could he. By resigning he hands over the responsibility of the timing to his successor. It takes three months from that point for a new PM to be found and appointed and as soon as she/he is then she/he can push the button as soon or as late as she/ he decides. Lets see what happens then shall we?

I loved Nigel's full blown rant at the EU meeting. I think it is always good to attack and insult the people you are going to be negotiating with. Guarantees you will get the best deal that way.

He won't be negotiating! turncoat Boris and the other renegade tories have purposely cut Nigel Farrage out of the negotiating team.

Jesimps

He won't be negotiating! turncoat Boris and the other renegade tories have purposely cut Nigel Farrage out of the negotiating team.
"turncoat Boris? It's the remainers ,such as Theresa May who kept low profile and waited to see who won . It's called cowardice

There will likely be calls for a general election once labour have a new leader and so do the conservatives. Whether they will be pro brexit will depend on who is elected to the positions. It started out as a shoe in for Johnson but he has screwed up so much with all the lies that at the moment Theresa May is ahead. If Labour get a moderate leader then labour could win with a coalition with the liberals.

Lots of if's and buts at the moment A real roller coaster ride!