Phuket beach water pollution?

Mysterion

Hello all,

I love swimming in clean water like most people.

However, I have read that back in 2014 there was allot of worries about Phuket beach water pollution caused by untreated sewage flowing from dirty klongs directly into west coast beach waters.

Has this water pollution problem been rectified on the west coast, or is it still an ongoing problem?

Specifically, has Karon beach and Bangtao/Layan klong water been cleaned-up now and are those beaches now safe to swim at?

Wow. Saddened to hear that it hasn't improved at all. :(

Are you saying that the water is very polluted with sewage on all the west coast beaches?

What happened to the new sewage treatment plants that the authorities promised to construct back in 2014?

Should swimming be avoided at Karon and Bangtao/Layan because of the raw sewage?

Wow. Saddened to hear that it hasn't improved at all. sad.png

Are you saying that the water is very polluted with sewage on all the west coast beaches?

What happened to the new sewage treatment plants that the authorities promised to construct back in 2014?

Should swimming be avoided at Karon and Bangtao/Layan because of the raw sewage?

seriously what do you think?? you have been advised about the systems or non systems

I've seen untreated black smelly sewage flowing into the ocean following heavy early wet seasons rain. There have been no changes in the the sewage systems. It is what it is.

It is fine at the moment. The water flowing into the ocean appears just to be runoff. The weather is beautiful and the water is clean. I think no matter where you go you're going to find this kind of thing.

Taken yesterday

So, after one reply from an "expert" living in Bangkok who gives a very general opinion about Thailand, not Phuket, you are very saddened to hear it hasn't improved.

Have you tried getting a second opinion from Aunty Florence in Hull?

A little secret, Asia generally doesn't have the same standards of sewage, water and refuse treatment as most Western countries. If you are at all finicky about the chances of picking up a deadly disease by sticking a toe in the water I recommend you go elsewhere for your holiday.

Three million tourists visit Phuket every year, many go in the water, and I've yet to hear of any outbreaks of cholera or similar. Most water borne diseases occur in fresh water, it's very hard to pick up an infection in the sea.

You're much more likely to die on the bus trip from the airport.

I'll second Ol Croc's sentiments and comment on a couple times a year that are precarious ( I don't know when the OP plans on traveling).

Patong beach nearing the end of hot season when the sea has been a bit stagnant and the first 100 meters out is brown. What water has flushed into the sea then and there, well, it's scheit. Occurs also at some other beaches but Patong Beach, notorious.

Very first rains of the season and this is not exclusive to Phuket. The first big flush, flushes all that buildup as well as possible septic emptying and overflow. But as it's been raining for some weeks now, I think Phuket is currently past that. Reason I say it is not exclusive to Phuket is that in California also, the health authorities warn not to go in the ocean after the first big couple rains.

Overall the sea in Phuket is fine.

Thanks for the feedback all. Ps -Pinot, awesome drone video.

As some have affirmed here, it appears that the rivers and streams feeding directly into to beaches continue to be essentially "black" with concentrated human waste and commercial sewage, especially after rains.

A friend of mine currently in Phuket also told me that the big river flowing directly into the ocean at Layan/Bangtao beaches continues to run black with nasty sewage regardless of raining or not. Wonder how the hi-so homeowners and resorts in laguna feel about that?

However, it appears that most tourists using the beaches are unaware (or maybe don't care) of the sewage water as it usually dilutes optically across the beach water and isn't obvious to the naked eye. Often the swimmers or local fishermen suffer "unexplained" rashes, ear, throat, or intestinal infections after swimming at the beach.

Needless to say, it is astonishing that there is no sewage treatment for rivers and streams in Phuket. The beaches are the main driver of Phuket's multi-billion dollar tourist trade, and yet they are left polluted with raw human and commercial sewage.

Seems like the only solution for someone who wants to swim is to just hope

it doesn't rain, don't swim after after a rainfall, or just forget taking a risk and stay out of the water.

Well, my suspicion was that the beach water pollution problems have not been rectified since the media looked at in 2014.

However, I was truly hoping that the knowledgeable Thaivisa members residing in Phuket could tell me via if anything has changed to improve the situation.

Sadly, it appears that nothing has changed in Phuket, and raw sewage continues to be dumped into the oceans at Phuket's popular beaches, unbeknownst to tourists.

Swimming in raw sewage, visible to naked eye or not, does not sound appealing for a tourist who seeks relatively clean waters to enjoy.

Somehow I have the feeling you had your opinion already before you posted here.

Agreed, newbie seems to want take hearsay (my friend told me) and dubious internet research at best to post his conclusions.

Strange though, no? First postings seem to want to bash Phuket. Maybe doing this makes the OP feel better about being stuck in Middlesbrough.

Agreed, newbie seems to want take hearsay (my friend told me) and dubious internet research at best to post his conclusions.

Strange though, no? First postings seem to want to bash Phuket. Maybe doing this makes the OP feel better about being stuck in Middlesbrough.

There are lots of articles regarding Phuket's sewage pollution problem if you google it. Here is just one example- http://m.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Local-president-pleas-help-patience-concerning-filthy/44016

No bashing of Phuket, just seeking intelligent answers regarding a very serious matter of concern for tourists, investors, and residents alike.

You haven't offered one iota of evidence towards the argument that the problem has been rectified. Can you show us some pictures of the new sewage systems or treatment stations? I am eagerly awaiting your posts about how great the efforts are going! Has gravity suddenly reversed itself in the last few years or does shit still roll down hill?

So, after one reply from an "expert" living in Bangkok who gives a very general opinion about Thailand, not Phuket, you are very saddened to hear it hasn't improved.

Have you tried getting a second opinion from Aunty Florence in Hull?

A little secret, Asia generally doesn't have the same standards of sewage, water and refuse treatment as most Western countries. If you are at all finicky about the chances of picking up a deadly disease by sticking a toe in the water I recommend you go elsewhere for your holiday.

Three million tourists visit Phuket every year, many go in the water, and I've yet to hear of any outbreaks of cholera or similar. Most water borne diseases occur in fresh water, it's very hard to pick up an infection in the sea.

You're much more likely to die on the bus trip from the airport.

I agree. But that said I have lived here for thirteen years and I have never even put a toe in the water at Patong Beach even though I lived there for a year. . The water is grey and brown and full of people. The effluent comes out of the klong at the south end of the beach. The water is cleaner at the north end of the bay; Kalim. Naiharn Beach is lovely and clean, same for Kata Noi. Kata and Karon are lovely beaches with lots of people. Surin is cleaned up from the encroachers and should be fine. Find a less popular beach or one protected by a big hotel from casual users and it will be fine. Or one with little/no development and no Klong emptying in to it. The beaches on just about any island will be lovely and clean. Like the guy said, worry more about the ride in form the airport.

You haven't offered one iota of evidence towards the argument that the problem has been rectified. Can you show us some pictures of the new sewage systems or treatment stations? I am eagerly awaiting your posts about how great the efforts are going! Has gravity suddenly reversed itself in the last few years or does shit still roll down hill?

You guys seriously have lost your minds or do not spend much time in Phuket.

Please clarify for me, in the last 1 year your total days in Phuket?

Granted, Phuket has not spent a whole lot on sewage treatment but if you understand the seasons and how the environment works, you would understand things better.

In July after three months of rainy season what problem needs to be "rectified?" In October when it rains all month and there is more water than what you guys are saying is sewage, what needs to be "rectified".

Don't know where y'all live but it surely isn't the tropics. Get a grip, fine, go holiday somewhere else. Stop bagging on things you are completely clueless about.

According to Grumpyoldman, nobody should be concerned about the raw human waste and commercial sewage running directly into the beach water of Phuket.

Apparently he doesn't mind swimming in fecies, urine, and chemical discharge.

Thanks for your intelligent and insightful feedback Grumpyoldman!

According to Grumpyoldman, nobody should be concerned about the raw human waste and commercial sewage running directly into the beach water of Phuket.

The difference is he knows the area and the beaches, your information is from a friend of a friend who is on the island at the moment.

Actually, as noted previously, my sources are numerous newspaper articles readily available on the web, and now multiple people on this site and a personal contact.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but It appears that the bottom line is, nothing has been done by the government to stop the raw sewage and commerical waste from leaking directly into most of phukets beaches. Swimmers beware!

Actually, as noted previously, my sources are numerous newspaper articles readily available on the web, and now multiple people on this site and a personal contact.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but It appears that the bottom line is, nothing has been done by the government to stop the raw sewage and commerical waste from leaking directly into most of phukets beaches. Swimmers beware!

I would agree that nothing much has been done to treat raw sewage in most beaches about Phuket. There is a treatment plant in Patong, trouble is that much of Patong's waste water does not go into that plant.

For sure in Patong attempts have been made to minimise regular shower/kitchen waste water from the Nanai area .... I know cos we pay an extra annual house tax to pay for this last 3 years.

I myself have not gone into the beach water for more than at least 10 years. I speak withy many of my regular guests who tell me the water quality seems be getting worse in places like Patong and even Karon/Kata. I cannot comment directly about other beaches.

<snip>

I myself have not gone into the beach water for more than at least 10 years. I speak withy many of my regular guests who tell me the water quality seems be getting worse in places like Patong and even Karon/Kata. I cannot comment directly about other beaches.

I must go back and update my video. Surely it can't be any worse than...

The difference is he knows the area and the beaches, your information is from a friend of a friend who is on the island at the moment.

Exactly. Mysterion, herein lies the difference between you and I.

From September 2005-May 1 2016 I was in the ocean water in Phuket almost daily, pretty close anyway.

According to YOU I was swimming in feces, urine and chemical discharge. Oh yea? You were there testing the water were you guy? I can personally tell you most of the time the water was crystal clear, I never once got sick or had skin problems, but again, I can't argue with a guy that was there with his testing equipment now can I ?

No you are just posting alarmist gobbldegook using second hand info. Please let us know where you are and lets talk about the tap water/air quality there shall we?

This guy joined the forum (again?) a couple of days ago and started this thread just to stir the shit, literally.

He hasn't said he is going to visit here, that was an assumption I made in my initial post. He hasn't posted on any other subject, but is steadfastly pushing his line that raw sewage is flowing into the ocean at every beach on the island and challenging residents to prove differently. Unfortunately some of the usual posters here have been drawn in.

He seems to be another one of the Phuket bashers who frequently post on local threads and probably has his own agenda in trying to deter tourists here.

Those of us with any acumen know that there are very few water treatment plants in most of Asia and it is common for klongs, rivers, etc. to discharge all manner of refuse into the oceans. Phuket is probably leading many other countries and other parts of Thailand in sewage treatment.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-water-treatment-plant-to-be-complete-in-one-year-47819.php

You guys seriously have lost your minds or do not spend much time in Phuket.

Please clarify for me, in the last 1 year your total days in Phuket?

Granted, Phuket has not spent a whole lot on sewage treatment but if you understand the seasons and how the environment works, you would understand things better.

In July after three months of rainy season what problem needs to be "rectified?" In October when it rains all month and there is more water than what you guys are saying is sewage, what needs to be "rectified".

Don't know where y'all live but it surely isn't the tropics. Get a grip, fine, go holiday somewhere else. Stop bagging on things you are completely clueless about.

Given the number of new developments going on and the lack of sewage treatment plants being built, I do not think the onus is on me to prove things are getting worse. More people=more shit.

Archived