Is Fuel Injection worth the extra money?

Thinking about buying a Honda Wave 110. Bike is brand new from Honda. FI version is $1,175 USD. Carb version is $950 USD. Other specs are the same.

Is the FI worth the extra $225? From what I understand the FI bike will start up easier if I leave it stored for weeks? Might save a thimble of gas in the long run?

I guess that would be nice. $225 isn't much but at this price range it's around 25% of the total cost.

What would you folks do? I don't plan on keeping this thing for a decade. Just want some reliable transportation for now.

you got it right, fuel injection has only 3 very small advantages over carbs:

- no choke / enrichment whne the bike was off for a long time

- less polluting, albeit not significantly

- very slightly better fuel economy, but again insignificantly so

the main drawback of carb is that the bike won't have a trendy "Fi" marking on it, although I'm sure the shop could affix one...

I would buy the carb version and enjoy my 225$

you got it right, fuel injection has only 3 very small advantages over carbs:

- no choke / enrichment whne the bike was off for a long time

- less polluting, albeit not significantly

- very slightly better fuel economy, but again insignificantly so

the main drawback of carb is that the bike won't have a trendy "Fi" marking on it, although I'm sure the shop could affix one...

I would buy the carb version and enjoy my 225$

Thanks! I also read about "cold starts." Doesn't get very cold around these parts so no worries there. wink.png

Go FI.

Not many knows how to adjust a carburetor anymore.

A Wave I had a long time had a carb problem due to dirt in the fuel, the bike could hardly start and ran very badly.

After a local mechanic cleaned it never ran as good as before.

In the mountains the FI will adjust the fuel/air, not so on a carb, I echo myself; go FI.

FI will deal with gasahol better. Carbs have fuel bowls which store small amounts of fuel. If you don't use it for a while the fuel will evaporate and leave deposits in the bowl unless you drain it which is difficult on a scooter. I'm surprised they still sell carved models tbh.

Honda Thailand doesn’t sell any carburetor motorcycles/scooters? So maybe the carburetor version can be an old model which the dealer not sold for a good amount of years…

Still Living in Cambo.

I'm living in Vietnam now and carb model bikes are extremely popular and still being sold brand new by all major manufacturers. Honda has carb dreams and waves. Yamaha has the Sirius. You'd be surprised how many locals opt for the carb version with spoke wheels and drum brakes. Those bare bones models are about $900 USD brand new and will still last a decade of abuse as their family vehicle.

But I understand that FI is the future. Thanks for weighing in guys!

See a lot of those basic VN mfged 100cc Waves in Laos too.

Red & black model predominating.

Same design as sold in Thailand pre-FI.

As stated above and in my experience,

carbs are problematic after non-use

[count on it] &

don't compensate for altitude as well as either.

[need fiddle with jets, etc]

But non-issues for lowland daily users.

Ride safe.

I got a carb scooter, and wish i had a FI one. The carb one starts real hard in the morning especially after not being used for a few days. My big bike FI always start right away no matter how many days it has been stored. FI rules, all those talking about small advantages have no idea what they are talking about. FI starts better and faster.

[count on it] &

Ride safe.

Yeah that wave "alpha" 100cc is Hondas cheapest bike. Not a bad buy considering back packers are paying $300 for the most clapped out Honda Wins you've ever seen. I'd rather buy that wave alpha and have a reliable ride. https://honda.com.vn/old/vn/xe-may/san-pham/wave-alpha-100cc/

I have a 2003 Nouvo now. After a two week holiday I came back and it would not start. Pushed it to the mechanic and he fooled with it for a long time before it fired up. Not fun. Maybe the FI version would be different? Think I'll go FI.

FI rules, all those talking about small advantages have no idea what they are talking about. FI starts better and faster.

It's mostly coming from people that also have carb engines and trying to justify their choice so they can feel better about their ignorance. =)

[count on it] &

Ride safe.

Yeah that wave "alpha" 100cc is Hondas cheapest bike. Not a bad buy considering back packers are paying $300 for the most clapped out Honda Wins you've ever seen. I'd rather buy that wave alpha and have a reliable ride. https://honda.com.vn/old/vn/xe-may/san-pham/wave-alpha-100cc/

I have a 2003 Nouvo now. After a two week holiday I came back and it would not start. Pushed it to the mechanic and he fooled with it for a long time before it fired up. Not fun. Maybe the FI version would be different? Think I'll go FI.

Got a Nouvo Elegance and when i don't use it for a few days its a lot harder to start, my ninja 650 with FI can be unused for a real long time and never has problems starting. My mates FI scooters too. When i bought it I did not know about the difference and I would now always buy FI

Your nuts if you go for a carby fueled model. I have a PCX150 with over 35000km on it and the EFI has not caused any problems.

And?

Your point is?

My missus's family all have Waves with in excess of 70k kms on them, each. All of 'em carb'ed. Never any of them had a fuel/ignition problem. Some even don't have a battery fitted anymore.

When there may be a future problem, it's a 600 baht new carb, 600 baht new CDI, or 300 baht for a new coil. Easy fixes. Try buying a new FI module for anywhere near those prices, let alone finding someone to figure out what's wrong with the thing, in another 35k kms (and how many batteries?), once you've hit 70k plus...

Me, yeah you've gathered... i'm a Luddite.

If i can't fix something myself, i don't own it.

Your nuts if you go for a carby fueled model. I have a PCX150 with over 35000km on it and the EFI has not caused any problems.

And?

Your point is?

My missus's family all have Waves with in excess of 70k kms on them, each. All of 'em carb'ed. Never any of them had a fuel/ignition problem. Some even don't have a battery fitted anymore.

When there may be a future problem, it's a 600 baht new carb, 600 baht new CDI, or 300 baht for a new coil. Easy fixes. Try buying a new FI module for anywhere near those prices, let alone finding someone to figure out what's wrong with the thing, in another 35k kms (and how many batteries?), once you've hit 70k plus...

Me, yeah you've gathered... i'm a Luddite.

If i can't fix something myself, i don't own it.

So you don't have a tv, refrigerator etc?

I had a kawasaki 135hp. Went like a rocket but if you left it for a day or two it was a b*****d to start. I would flatten the battery just trying and have to kick start it. If you want ease of use and reliability then go FI every time.

kick start a 135hp Bike ? Good Luck with that ! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Fuel injection every time..

In my opinion the adoption of fuel injection and engine management systems is the most significant improvement in motorcycles in recent times.

Ride the same bike back to back one with carburettor and the other with fuel injection and you will quickly understand that even a well set up carburettor is an approximation device in terms of fuelling.

Fuel injection bikes give a more linear response to throttle than a carburetted bike which means better control, safety and a more enjoyable ride.

Honda Thailand doesn’t sell any carburetor motorcycles/scooters? So maybe the carburetor version can be an old model which the dealer not sold for a good amount of years…

Still Living in Cambo.

The all new Suzuki 100 or 110 (the retro model) is a carb model. I prefer carb, as I can take it apart, if necessary. Even when standing for a longer period, there is a pet cock to separate tank and carb. The FI has the disadvantage, that the engine is always running absolutely lean, therefore at its hottest point. Just in case the FI breaks down in a wave, you are quite f.....! A replacement FI for the wave will cost you about 8000 THB. That is about the amount you save, when you ride the wave 50.000Km. If you want to sell the bike soon, I would go for the FI. It sells better.

30 years ago I had a Zuzuki or was it a Yamaha, cant remember but it was a 90cc plugged direct injection moped. No carburetor.

Turns out it was plugged with a cheap bushing, I took the whole engine apart just for fun, took out the plug and the thing was suddenly a hell of a motorcycle making about 200% over the legal speed at the time. Until the Police caught me eventually and no more moped, from there on it was purely bicycle for me and that was good!

FI it is!!! I travel pretty often so I don't want to have to raise this thing from the dead if it doesn't run for a few weeks...

Now, my only beef with the wave is the seat. That damn hump is right where I want to sit. Need to find one of those racing boy seats that are flat as a board. Then I can slide back a bit.

As an aside the original battery in my Wave 110i recently died after four years.

Out of curiosity I kicked it over without the battery and it fired up and ran exactly as normal.

The only thing that did not work correctly with the battery out was the indicators.