Phuket Airport runway-extension plan gains momentum

webfact

Phuket Airport runway-extension plan gains momentum
Suthicha Sirirat

1467250698_1-org.jpg
The Transport Ministry is pushing for the runway at Phuket Airport to be extended, one way or the other, to accommodate larger aircraft. Photo: Richard Vandervord

PHUKET: -- The Transport Ministry has called for officials to submit a draft proposal to have the runway at Phuket International Airport extended into the sea so that the key tourist portal can accommodate larger aircraft.

Deputy Transport Minister Omsin Cheevapruek raised the concept during his visit to the island last Sunday (June 26).

“There has been a lot of discussion about this project and I want provincial officials to draft a proposal and submit it to the central government again,” Mr Omsin told The Phuket News.

Mr Omsin recognised that the proposal has already faced harsh criticism. “Many people have already voiced objections to the idea of the construction,” he said.

“Many people are concerned that the project might affect the environment by disturbing or changing water currents, and thus pose a threat to turtles continuing to return to the area,” he noted.

Regardless, he called for local officials to file a new proposal for review.

“Today, the Phuket runway is three kilometres long and cannot accommodate large airplanes. Studies have shown that it needs to be extended by one kilometre to do so,” he said.

“Many countries have extended runways into the sea and they are doing well, so Phuket needs to push for this project and find a way to make it happen.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-runway-extension-plan-gains-momentum-58056.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-30

“Many people are concerned that the project might affect the environment by disturbing or changing water currents, and thus pose a threat to turtles continuing to return to the area,” he noted.

The only turtle that I have seen in that area was about 13 years ago, and that was a dead turtle on the southern end of Mai Khao beach.

Yes, turtles are regularly released at the northern end of MK beach, near to the 5-star hotels group. But surely they would not affected by extending the runway?

Extend the other way or is there too much payout for owners of the land.

I shoulda got me missus to have purchased it years ago

Not so easy extending inland. Runway already goes uphill and there is the main road in the way. I suppose a runway overpass is possible.

Inland is the far better option, a number of airports have underpasses. So long as the main landing (I was about to say impact) area is not directly above it should be feasible.

Building to the west makes as much sense as considering a ferry service into the rough waters of the Andaman Sea. Most airports that extend into water (Kai Tak and the newer Hong Kong Airport spring to mind) are sheltered to some degree.

Edit: had a play on google earth (and yes I know the runway does not run true, its an approximation) red shows the approx 1km extension, blue the existing 350m of extra land and green the approx area of the perimeter. Not a huge engineering project these days (for most countries).

post-31255-0-74836900-1467294107_thumb.j

Edited by Psimbo

If 747s can already land, the only planes needing a longer runway would be A380s wouldn't it?

Is it really necessary to start such huge project that will cost billions and destroy the beauty of the north coast of Phuket, just to accommodate one type of plane?

Some countries are doing it, so why not us. What kind of logic is that?

If 747s can already land, the only planes needing a longer runway would be A380s wouldn't it?

Is it really necessary to start such huge project that will cost billions and destroy the beauty of the north coast of Phuket, just to accommodate one type of plane?

It may be that 747's can't lift maximum pax and fuel for long sectors, e.g., flight direct to US and Europe. They may be restricted to regional flights with a full load of pax.

I'm only speculating, but not all aircraft can take full pax and full fuel out of every airport, runway length and climb performance immediately after take off for terrain clearance are principal reasons.

It may be that 747's can't lift maximum pax and fuel for long sectors, e.g., flight direct to US and Europe. They may be restricted to regional flights with a full load of pax.

I'm only speculating, but not all aircraft can take full pax and full fuel out of every airport, runway length and climb performance immediately after take off for terrain clearance are principal reasons.

I am not an expert in aviation but I do remeber once reading that 747 cannot take off with a full fuel load from Phuket runway. They cannot make a long haul run from Phuket. Have to refuel else where.