Sidewalk Showdown: Bangkok won't budge on ultimatum to liberate Siam footpaths

webfact

Sidewalk Showdown: City won't budge on ultimatum to liberate Siam footpaths
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

siam.jpg
A street stall selling fashion apparel at the end of the stairs leading up to BTS Siam.

BANGKOK — Owners of street stalls failed to win a reprieve from City Hall yesterday and have until the end of next month to end their occupation of Siam Square’s sidewalks.

The city signaled it won’t flinch in the latest bid to clear the footpaths made nearly unwalkable most evenings, telling about 200 vendors at a public hearing Wednesday they would not reconsider the Aug. 1 ultimatum for them to leave.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2016/06/30/sidewalks-siam-given-night-market-ordered-move-august/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-30

Tell them that at 7pm the army will be coming through to dismantle every stall they see, and confiscate the goods.

Any vendor there will be arrested, and also be subject to stringent background checks as to their business licenses and tax.

Oh s**t................really? It is a tourist attraction (but not for all).

Then they will want to fix the footpaths in order that the physically handicapped can use them. But so long as the Governor's backside points to the ground that will not happen either.

I would much rather see the authority's remove whinging ex pats from LOS. If your not happy, just go on back from where you all come from. Pretty simple really.

You're whinging, right?

I would much rather see the authority's remove whinging ex pats from LOS. If your not happy, just go on back from where you all come from. Pretty simple really.

You're whinging, right?

seriously? How is that whinging? I would have thought it being part of his wish list. In fact it is high up on mine too.

Do you think there is any chance that the government might do something about the sidewalks in Chiang Mai, particularly those in Nimmenhaemin Road that are congested with concrete plant boxes devoid of plants, unused telephone boxes, advertising signs, motor bikes, and food stalls. This area is the most (otherwise) up-market area of Chiang Mai and the most favoured by Chinese tourists. The situation can only be the result of local government incompetence, lack of accountability, or corruption. With all the condos and hotels that are springing up like mushrooms in every soi there should be heaps of revenue to redress this eyesore. Every ten metres or less there is a large advertising sign imbedded in the middle of the side walk and the rental revenue from these alone would surely be adequate (assuming of course that it ends up in public coffers.

Somebody needs to get the message through to the appropriate authorities that the Chinese are tourists keen to spend money, and not foreign invaders whose advance needs to be impeded.

Now, how about getting the motorcycles off the sidewalks, too! Is it too much to ask that the police find some time to do their job?

It isn't against the law to use your motorcycle on the pavements.

How many expats are working for the BMA ?

How many expats are here on back to back Tourist visas?........They are sorting that issue though smile.png

You're whinging, right?

Not at all but if you can't hack it here and want to turn the place in to some sterile faceless western suburb, just get out. The majority quite like it as it is.

For me, the very essence of Bangkok is the multicoloured and anarchic chaos of the street vendors. I watch with horror as this government moves through the city destroying what makes the place unique. The amulet market in Sanam Luang was a one-off, and a popular destination for tourists, but the pavement vendors were 'untidy', so they had to go. The current government seems to think that a featureless, characterless city is preferable. Control everything. Stamp out charisma wherever you find it. Let's make Bangkok like a bigger version of Swindon or Milton Keynes. Wonderful.

As Ronuk says, the end result will be a sterile, faceless western suburb, with nothing to offer at all except heat and malls. That's not Bangkok. That's dystopia.

How many expats are working for the BMA ?

How many expats are here on back to back Tourist visas?........They are sorting that issue though smile.png

Seems you missed my point. The BMA are the ones who want the streets cleaned up, expats can moan all they like but they cant change anything.

You are whinging about expats when you should be whinging about the BMA. But you cant whinge about the BMA because you become a double whinger. Losing all ends up aint ya.

Edited by berybert

Tell them that at 7pm the army will be coming through to dismantle every stall they see, and confiscate the goods.

Any vendor there will be arrested, and also be subject to stringent background checks as to their business licenses and tax.

The Army doesn't have to come in and dismantle things.

Every vendor is paying rent to the BMA or Police.

If the renters don't pay, a BMA pickup truck shows up in 30 minutes......and confiscates EVERYTHING.

Ah.. The old 'if you don't like it go home' comment... It's one of the dumbest and unimaginative comments made on this forum by still wet behind the ears expats tripping over themselves in their haste to defend all things Thai...

The fact that this initiative is led by Thai's in response to a multitude of complaints made by Thai's is clearly lost on the above poster.

Ronuk, Thai's also complain about a number of issues here often agreeing with the points made by expats.... Where do you suggest they go?

Edited by richard_smith237

For me, the very essence of Bangkok is the multicoloured and anarchic chaos of the street vendors. I watch with horror as this government moves through the city destroying what makes the place unique. The amulet market in Sanam Luang was a one-off, and a popular destination for tourists, but the pavement vendors were 'untidy', so they had to go. The current government seems to think that a featureless, characterless city is preferable. Control everything. Stamp out charisma wherever you find it. Let's make Bangkok like a bigger version of Swindon or Milton Keynes. Wonderful.

As Ronuk says, the end result will be a sterile, faceless western suburb, with nothing to offer at all except heat and malls. That's not Bangkok. That's dystopia.

A happy balance could be achieved...

Many of the sidewalks are so conjested it's impossible to navigate with a push chair or wheelchair...

The colour and charisma of Bkk can still be maintained with intelligent balance & control.

Unfortunately it is the sense of growing entitlement that leads to this... Given an inch, the vendors take a mile, are allowed to settle, believe their 'patch' is their right and then encroach a little further.

It was necessary for something to be done about this just to bring back balance...

Ah.. The old 'if you don't like it go home' comment... It's one of the dumbest and unimaginative comments made on this forum by still wet behind the ears expats tripping over themselves in their haste to defend all things Thai...

The fact that this initiative is led by Thai's in response to a multitude of complaints made by Thai's is clearly lost on the above poster.

Ronuk, Thai's also complain about a number of issues here often agreeing with the points made by expats.... Where do you suggest they go?

The Army is simply removing the funding from their political enemies.

Every move they make is about crushing enemies. The poor footpath vendors are just collateral damage.

You're whinging, right?

Not at all but if you can't hack it here and want to turn the place in to some sterile faceless western suburb, just get out. The majority quite like it as it is.

The "majority" have a say? How do they do that?