TAT: Over 10 million Chinese tourists expected to visit Thailand this year

webfact

Over 10 million Chinese tourists expected to visit the country this year

442_Chinese-Tourist-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says more than 10 million Chinese tourists are expected to arrive in Thailand this year, generating earnings of more than 500 billion baht for the country.

This represents a 10% increase from earlier prediction of 7%, said TAT governor Yutthasak Supasorn.

He said the TAT is also expecting the Chinese tourists would generate over 500 billion baht in revenues for the country.

Besides, he said TAT is planning to attract more quality Chinese tourists to the country, particularly Chinese with annual income of US$60,000.

He said to achieve the plan, it has instructed TAT offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Kunming, and Chongqing to work out measures to stimulate tourism and attract more Chinese tourists to Thailand.

They will promote Thai culture and traditions to attract tourists from China as well as from other countries.

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak is currently in China.

On Wednesday, he witnessed the signing of an agreement between the TAT and Miss Universe China contest organising committee to make Thailand as a place for the 16 finalists of the Miss Universe China 2016 to attend training courses at the end of October this year.

They will be accompanied by Miss Universe China 2015 and 40 staff members to participate in a week long training period in Thailand’s top three destinations of Chiang Mai, Pattaya, and Bangkok.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/10-million-chinese-tourists-expected-visit-country-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-30

Isn't that almost half the projected number from all parts of the world?

And Chinese earning earning over $60K a year, are they going to have to show proof of income now if they wish to be seen as quality tourists?

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says more than 10 million Chinese tourists are expected to arrive in Thailand this year..."

Why are neither I nor anyone I know who enjoys the peace and quiet of where I live, jumping for joy. However, I am sure the durian growers are ecstatic. However, don't expect the sale of toilet tissue to rise by even one roll.

Edited by jaltsc

An Airbus A380 = 850 passengers ;

For 10 millions visitors they need 11765 full A380 ,

or 32 landind each day ...tongue.png

Keep on dreaming TAT Thailand clap2.gif

Unfortunately for us in the North, an increasing number of Chinese are coming over the new bridge at Chiang Khong by car, many by motor-caravans too so that they don't even need to pay for hotels.

The blue licence plates can be seen every day, convoys of them around Chinese New Year, and not so long ago motor caravans of any country were a very unusual sight but not so now.

Here come the big spenders!

Try telling that to local businesses!

He said to achieve the plan, it has instructed TAT offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Kunming, and Chongqing to work out measures to stimulate tourism and attract more Chinese tourists to Thailand.

So the plan is for someone else to come up with a plan....

The quality Chinese they are seeking are visiting other places. I was in Bali last week and noticed a goodly number of upmarket-type Chinese tourists enjoying their holiday. No spitting, no shouting, no pushing. Mostly nice younger couples strolling about, spending money.

Wow what a negative responses, I have a small business in Chiang Mai, and I totally adapted to the new Chinese visitors,

If it wasn't for them I would be out of business.

There are plenty of opportunities to make money of the Chinese visitors, and many business here in Chiang Mai do so.

The companies that don't change due to the new demographic of tourists, should reconsider their business plans, I saw it coming from miles away.

Is there really a lot of Chinese making $60,000 a year? I think that is more than the average American. I guess American/Chinese trade treaties are really working. Take from the rich and give to the poor. Yes America with all your strict work criteria/pollution/laws your jobs are gone to a country that has no labor laws little in the way of pollution laws only a manufacturing juggernaut with bodies provided by the Peoples Party. Methinks this will be an endless line snaking through Thailand following the bouncing ball sorry red flag. Please bring your own water. Come on TAT 7% now boosted to 10% when world economies are staggering and beaches/attractions here are getting more polluted by the day due to under funding? . Lets blow the whole wad and say a 15% increase.

Edited by elgordo38

27,398 every day rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

That's barely a trickle these days. At peak periods, like this past Chinese new year, international traffic (i.e. arrivals + departures) at Thailand's six main airports now exceeds 350,000 pax per day. Usually about a third Chinese, but even higher than that during Chinese holidays. Data at ICAO for those of you who are allergic to official Thai figures (which happen to be accurate, but never mind).

Ten million Chinese in 2016? Certainly not a problem for Thailand's airports. Whether it's a problem for Thailand and those of us who live here, well that's a different question.

The quality Chinese they are seeking are visiting other places. I was in Bali last week and noticed a goodly number of upmarket-type Chinese tourists enjoying their holiday. No spitting, no shouting, no pushing. Mostly nice younger couples strolling about, spending money.

They were probably Singaporeans or Malaysians then. smile.png Can you tell the difference on sight?

Unfortunately for us in the North, an increasing number of Chinese are coming over the new bridge at Chiang Khong by car, many by motor-caravans too so that they don't even need to pay for hotels.

The blue licence plates can be seen every day, convoys of them around Chinese New Year, and not so long ago motor caravans of any country were a very unusual sight but not so now.

New law came into effect on June 27th they now require permission to drive their cars in. They aren't coming anymore by car, trust me.

Travel agents will be using this application to apply for permission - but the rules are strict - no vehicles can be driven outside the province entered unless an exemption has been granted. At least 1000 cars recently cancelled their planned trips to Thailand due to the new rules.

www.t​ta.customs.go.th/Home2.jsp

Edited by Tomtomtom69

On average their stay is 3-4 days. So they end up clogging the airports and while there

daily spend rate is high there total spend in Thailand is low. So on a spend per day

rate they are high quality tourists but on the total spent in Thailand it takes 5 Chinese

tourists to equal one European/North American tourist and about 60 to spent the

same amount as one expat retire, who is here from low season through high, buys

or rents condos, and puts up with political turmoil (while whingeing hard on TV) whistling.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

It is estimated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip.[14] The average Chinese tourist spends 6,400 baht (US$180) per day—more than the average visitor's 5,690 baht (US$160).[

you quote an all economy A380 configuration. So they'd need two thirds more aircraft again.

Unless they plan to send a fleet of supersized cruise ships every other week.

Also, they have no clue what people really come here for.

Spa sex shopping sand & sport (golf)

It's NOT culture and Tradition. That's Europe's gig.

Maybe they should actually ASK their markets, instead of presuming what TAT bigwigs are into is what everyone else is into.

Wrong. But (altogether now) what's new?

Edited by dhream

And even proud if it !

Nobody tells how many Westerner tourists they lost coz of the Chinese..

Expats may have Sinophobia, but most westerner tourists don't even notice Chinese here, they'd all 'look the same' to them.

As for this even making the news in the west. It won't.

Nothing drives westerners away, Except serious Thai inspired civil unrest.

Edited by dhream

27,398 every day rolleyes.gif

Is there really a lot of Chinese making $60,000 a year? I think that is more than the average American. I guess American/Chinese trade treaties are really working. Take from the rich and give to the poor. Yes America with all your strict work criteria/pollution/laws your jobs are gone to a country that has no labor laws little in the way of pollution laws only a manufacturing juggernaut with bodies provided by the Peoples Party. Methinks this will be an endless line snaking through Thailand following the bouncing ball sorry red flag. Please bring your own water. Come on TAT 7% now boosted to 10% when world economies are staggering and beaches/attractions here are getting more polluted by the day due to under funding? . Lets blow the whole wad and say a 15% increase.

You are correct:

$51,759
The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2014 that: U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was $51,939 in 2013 versus $51,759 in 2012, statistically unchanged. In 2013, real median household income was 8.0 percent lower than in 2007, the year before the latest recession.