Ultra Cheap Bikes From Lotus.

Jookster

No idea, mate, but I could amuse you for hours with stories of a guy called Martin who I used to work with.

He bought a cheapo bike at Big C. Looked OK, paid for it, got outside the store and started cycling up the road. Then the pedals fell off.

He duly returned to the store and got a replacement bike. Second attempt at leaving the store, the seat fell off (small bolt severed).

Next replacement - the brakes seized.

At the fourth attempt, he got a bike in working order and it's still going strong as far as I know.

Moral of the story: insist on doing a few laps inside the supermarket before you part with any cash.

The bike they sell at Tesco Lotus are absoloute crap, they just drop to pieces

Better to find yourself a shop that proper bicycle shop such as Probike on Sarasin road in Bangkok.

I think there entry level Trek mountain bikes start at 9,000 baht or so

That way you will end up with a bike that represents good value for money.

Good Luck

MM

as with any new bike the success is in the assembly...at tescos they got some harrassed shop gurl without tools tryin' to put together a bike...they only do as much as required to get the mother to stand upright on the shop floor. Of course it's gonna fall apart when someone actually tries to pedal the mother...

If it looks too cheap to be true then it is...too cheap and fuggeddaboudit...

ah gots me an LA bicycle...a common brand around these parts...single speed, sturdy with caliper brakes...good for gettin' around town on flat terrain, got a padded passenger seat with footrests and a basket on the front...1500 baht...good for the money...check it out...

Bought a mid priced bike from Big C a few years ago. It is crap from a western perspective but after having fixed all the things that went wrong it is functional and we use it around the village.....never have to change gears and if we did then it would probably be a regular job keeping the deraileurs aligned. Brakes are not good but they do work and we never ride it fast......basic around the neighborhood transportation.

Chownah

I bought a cheap one in Lotus,

will never do it again.

The first one I had to change after 3 days.

The technician in Lotus assembled the gears in a wrong way.

I have now a second one for almost 6 months.

The breaks arr s..t. They don't work.

You can imagine the rest yourself, (no breaks....) :o:D:D

I purchased one of the store brands from Carrefour in Chiangmai around 6 months ago. I have had no problems with it, it is used daily for around a 5 kilometer excercise regimen.

Oh, my only complaint is that the seat in hard as a rock and uncomfortable as hel_l..............

If you want a tin of beans, go to Lotus

If you want a bike, go to a bike shop

Do they sell beans?

Never seen any

you're right there pal...don't ever try to cook the dried red kidneys as I've failed 3 times now. The black beans are cookable and are an acceptable substitute for chilli purposes...

(to stay on topic...) throw a bag or two of black beans into the basket of your cheap bicycle and think about the possibilities...chilli with black beans, rice with black beans, black bean compote, etc, etc...

Wow they are really that bad?

Hmm

Where can I get one of these LA bicycles? Are they sold at Lotus? :o

nah...LA bikes have no connection with Lotus...my wife bought it from sum chinese guy who had a dozen sittin' outside his shop down the market. He's doin' a land office business...never seen any other kinda bike around here...basic and sturdy, just right for local conditions and pocketbooks...loadsa different colors as well...the saddle height easily adjustable for long falang type legs...not too shabby...check it out...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

just wondering, in Thailand what do Thai people think of people on pushbikes? I never asked a Thai. All I ever seem to see is poor, scruffy looking people and grannies wobbling around to the market. Is there any street cred for a farang riding around on a pushbike?? Cheers.

just wondering, in Thailand what do Thai people think of people on pushbikes? I never asked a Thai. All I ever seem to see is poor, scruffy looking people and grannies wobbling around to the market. Is there any street cred for a farang riding around on a pushbike?? Cheers.

nah...in fact as a falang you are supposed to have the dosh to ride around in comfort in nothing less than a Toyota Camry...to the hoodlums down the 7-11 with their flash motorbikes your cheap pushbike is a provocation...I love it...

There is a well supported Thailand Cycling Club http://www.thaicycling.com/en_home.asp so yes there is some street cred

I have cycled to work on numerous occasions four days a week (the 5th day was to bring in my clean clothes for the next week). I have had police saluting me and even stopping traffic for me on Ratchada! I quite often see Thais on bikes when I do my Lat Phrao-Ram Intra circuit - anyone care to join me any weekend?

It's very common, as a matter of fact, I'm struggling to think of an expat here that doesn't have one.

Good way to get some exercise and a few of the chaps do anything between 30 and 50km every day. Two of them have even cycled up Khao Phanom Rung (anyone who has ever been there will understand how impressive that is)

It's very common, as a matter of fact, I'm struggling to think of an expat here that doesn't have one.

Good way to get some exercise and a few of the chaps do anything between 30 and 50km every day. Two of them have even cycled up Khao Phanom Rung (anyone who has ever been there will understand how impressive that is)

You could think of me as I don't have a bike though I did buy a Yamaha Fino automatic scooter last month.

My friend from Germany who comes over for a month a year is seriously into cycling and he bought the 3rd cheapest bike in the shop on Sukhumvit soi 3 on the right side as you go up before the entrance to Bumrungrad hospital.

It cost him 55,000 bhat 2 years ago and that is about half what it costs in Germany. I can't think of the make but it is for serious cyclists.

Edited by billd766

It is not just Lotus Tesco.

Cheap bikes are crap wherever you buy them in Thailand.

Look around for a reasonable mountain bike from a dedicated shop.

They start around 5000 baht and come in small sizes as well as large.

My son's bike costing 6000baht has given several years of trouble free

service, apart from the odd puncture. :o

Certainly no "bits falling off".

post-34115-1163658942_thumb.jpg

Anyone who is serious about their hobby will spend a lot on it. My best bike is custom made with the best components that I could afford at the time (A mid price Campag groupset and Campag rims) If I were to replace it, I don't think that I would get much change out of 250,000 Baht. We will be in the UK at Christmas and will have to visit my local bike shop to upgrade the bike so that will be a few hundred pounds.

Edited by gpt