What's a PCX like in the mountains?

AllanB

I took a 150cc rented PCX up Doi Ang Khang a while back, frankly it could barely cope (the road is very steep in places though) all the locals seem to use 125 honda semi autos, they can go up anything.

Been up there... locals do it....yep....I would not...unless I had some power.

Been there done it on a PCX 150, yes you willslow down on the steepest hills it is only 150cc. Never any problem with the breaks. I have rode highway 12 from P lok to Khoen Keon. dowm to Kanchanaburi I usually take the 333 from Uthai Thani lots of hills on that one, I cannot fault the PCX at all considering I weigh 250 ibs. I do not carry much stuff a few shirts an one extra pair of pants. All my rides start and end in Chiang Mai.

If you want to get to the top and back down just go for it. Forget all this stuff about gears,suspension?

Not very helpful.

And your suggested solution/alternative is.............

O.K., my suggestion is not to over think the situation, The PCX 125, isn't much different from the 150 which I own two. I'm sure the price isn't bad for the old 125CC, other than getting to the top and getting back down, buying a bigger big and talking about style isn't what is being asked? Unless he is talking about climbing and coming down the Himalayas I say go for it and when you are done if you feel you could have done better then start shopping. Another suggestion is what I normally do go rent one for the day and take the hill?

Edited by thailand49

Automatic anything is not much fun tongue.png

The worst drivers drive automatic cars/bikes, in my extensive experience whistling.gif

ourmotorbikes.jpgI now have a new PCX 150. Still have the Elegance 135, and I have the Yamaha 400 SR. I've noticed I'm a lousy driver when I drive the automatics, but I'm a superstar when I'm driving my Yamaha SR 400 which has a real gear shift. In fact I'm a far superior driver to one of my German friends who owns a Kawasaki 800 and virtually every Thai driver I meet on the road because my SR400 not only has a manual transmission but also a kick starter. As for my German friend, he might think he's a hot shot driver but he's a real whuss because he doesn't have a kickstarter on his Kawasaki 800.

Edited by jackcorbett

Sorry a bit off topic but has anyone put a different 'type' of tyre on the rear of a PCX..?

I don't like the stock tyre, plus it now needs changing.

On both my PCX 150, as soon as I got it off the show floor, I replace the shocks in the back with heavier gas shocks 3500 baht, replace the rear tired 100/90 with a 120/70, when the front worn out I put a 110/70 which I admit is too big since it come too close to the fender. Both run great and handle much better.

Sorry a bit off topic but has anyone put a different 'type' of tyre on the rear of a PCX..?

On both my PCX 150, as soon as I got it off the show floor, I replace the shocks in the back with heavier gas shocks 3500 baht, replace the rear tired 100/90 with a 120/70, when the front worn out I put a 110/70 which I admit is too big since it come too close to the fender. Both run great and handle much better.
Have you ever considered you bought the wrong bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever considered you bought the wrong bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first bike was a simple 110 CC Honda click, replaced it with wider rims and tires actually had a 120/70 in the back and front. Felt it was more than enough to get myself killed. When it was time to look for a new bike I had already past my mid-life crisis but look at bigger bikes with a clutch. The last bike I wanted was a PCX 150, I thought it look stupid but after a few months for the size,ride and price I rented one for the day and I was sold. My son had a 125 Honda Wave, said at first he didn't like the PCX (old man bike) after a few months one day his bike broke down and needed to use my PCX to get to school. Thereafter we sold his and got one for himself at my expense.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently rented a pcx 125 to do some touring in the mountains around Da Lat, Vietnam. I didn't trust my POS bike and the pcx was the best rental I could find. It worked, but not ideal. I would have enjoyed a bit more power and you really should have gears for going down those steep mountain roads with a lot of twisties. Even a wave would do better I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, especially from those with actual experience. Have had a rethink about a PCX and will probably go for a dirt bike now. This bike is for my other life in Portugal, where, due to my lack of bike licence, I am stuck with 125cc and 15bhp. A 125 PCX is about double the price out there and secondhand models bring a lot too.

However, I friend of mine out there says you can fiddle things a little, have a few more ccs and a lot more power even with a 4 stroke, so I am going for a dirt bike with some mods. There are lots of mountain tracks that I can explore on my own , perhaps with "the boys" or even take the missus and become world champion at two up Enduro, though I haven't discussed it with her yet. clap2.gif

Here I have no such limitation, but still favour lightweight lowish power, maybe 250cc. Would like to find a SH mint crf.