Thai Government Says Unruly Students Engaged in Brawls May be Conscripted into Military Service

This is a wonderful opportunity for the government to extend its human rights abuses.

It would be marginally acceptable if the government would speak in terms of: First, actually convicting brawling students of a serious crime, if one is committed, before, Second, forcing them into the Army.

In the US, the formula is usually: A young man, convicted of a Felony, is offered a choice of jail time, or a suspended sentence providing he joins the military. Door A or Door B?

Military recruitment in USA has changed radically since first becoming an all-volunteer force after Vietnam. A felony will disqualify you from enlisted service, unless it was a baby felony (before candidate was 18).

Even misdemeanors other than minor traffic tickets require moral waivers. Not easy to get. Every 10 people who attempt to join, about 7 are rejected. Medical and legal reasons.

________

Why would you want to serve next to a violent criminal? It would break down trust and morale.... especially a felony. Plus a liability issue if that person commits a crime and you knew they were a rapist, thief, etc?

But unlike the US army, the Thai army are not professional soldiers. Although they are pretty good at coups and suppression of civil rights, they have not in recent times been successful in fighting any war against an external aggressor. The vast majority of their confirmed kills over the last 50 years are Thai citizens. Criminals and others of low moral standing would fit right in.

This is a wonderful opportunity for the government to extend its human rights abuses.

It would be marginally acceptable if the government would speak in terms of: First, actually convicting brawling students of a serious crime, if one is committed, before, Second, forcing them into the Army.

In the US, the formula is usually: A young man, convicted of a Felony, is offered a choice of jail time, or a suspended sentence providing he joins the military. Door A or Door B?

My many years spent in the deepest, darkest corners of the American Juvenile Justice System require me to confidently refute this patently ridiculous assertion. In forty years, I've never heard of a single convicted felon having been offered the "usual" deal that you describe.

Unless you're able to provide reputable sources to back up this transparently asinine claim, I'll have to assume that you're talking out of your proverbial, backwater AZ, dog lovin' arse!

I fully understand that you've got an agenda to serve and a point to make, but bald faced lies are probably not your most reliable ally.

My many years spent in the deepest, darkest corners of the American Juvenile Justice System require me to confidently refute this patently ridiculous assertion. In forty years, I've never heard of a single convicted felon having been offered the "usual" deal that you describe.

Unless you're able to provide reputable sources to back up this transparently asinine claim, I'll have to assume that you're talking out of your proverbial, backwater AZ, dog lovin' arse!

I fully understand that you've got an agenda to serve and a point to make, but bald faced lies are probably not your most reliable ally.

Another poster pointed out my error. In a more polite way. I retract my suggestion that felons are offered that choice.

However, historically, I think it was a common choice for young men who were screwing up, to enter the military on the off chance they might benefit from the regimented life. In today's military, I think the recruiters are pretty selective.

Anyway, thanks for the unfriendly rejoinder.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

It looks like a great idea, most of the problem is that the students cant see anything in their future, poor now, no chance of improvement a hopeless life!! At least the military will give them a broader view on life in general and hopefully a little pride as well? smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

Obviously you didn't read the whole article.

First of all. These students would not be immediately drafted. Theyou would be allowed to complete their education and then drafted which, leaves up to 6 more years of violent acts by them.

They comes the problem with forcing them too become a soldier. Hi-So will find their own way out of it easily enough. The time spent waiting for the student to complete their school leave room for several new governments along with their changes in policies and acts of forgiveness leave little doubt that perhaps only a few kids from poor families will be the only ones actually conscripted.

Then comes the problem of sticking a knife and gun into the hands of someone who has already displayed their willingness to inflict harm on anyone they disagree with.

Given this I find their idea not only pointless and a failure as a solution as well as possibly being quite dangerous in the future for even more innocents to be hurt by these thugs.

In Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (e.g., Going Postal) convicted felons are offered the choice of accepting a job the Patrician offers him, or leaving through a door the Patrician points out, with the promise nothing further will happen to him. The door opens onto a lethal drop.