Where Can I Buy Kayak In Thailand

Someone has a New Zealand made sea kayak for sale in the forums free classified ads section.

thanks, i,m actually after a river kayak, as here in kanchanaburi as some beautiful rivers ...thanks again

yeah, most are the recycled soft drink container sea kayaks which are junk and heavy. Rotationally molded and amazingly heavy and rubbish to paddle.

I am sure you can find some sort of assocation that does this sort of stuff; I'd get in touch with some river rafting companies, and maybe one of them can point you in the right direction.

Someone has a New Zealand made sea kayak for sale in the forums free classified ads section.

thanks, i,m actually after a river kayak, as here in kanchanaburi as some beautiful rivers ...thanks again

yeah, most are the recycled soft drink container sea kayaks which are junk and heavy. Rotationally molded and amazingly heavy and rubbish to paddle.

I am sure you can find some sort of assocation that does this sort of stuff; I'd get in touch with some river rafting companies, and maybe one of them can point you in the right direction.

yes think i will because like you say i,m not to impressed by the recycled one,s that are around at the moment either... thanks

I bought the 1 seater Dolphin(Loma) for B14,000 (from memory)

Delivery was included as was a paddle but no neoprene skirt.

It is quite heavy , initial stability is very good though you would have to imagine that is a trade off against ultimate stability.

I retrospect I would buy the 2 seater (more room for storage if you want to go on an extended trip)

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

"Rotationally molded and amazingly heavy and rubbish to paddle."

Not since the days of squirt boating were whitewater kayaks made from fiberglass. You would have a really difficult time finding a fiberglass lay-up in a river kayak these days.

Rubbish to paddle? Um, how many different river kayaks have you paddled? Rotomoulded kayaks are the industry standard and way to go in a river kayak. That's why they're about the only boat available. :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We (family - me, wife, kids of 6 & 8yrs) are just thinking of getting in to kayaking, on the local khlongs initially, plus we live right next to http://www.feelfreekayak.com/home/ factory so we see them every day.

Did Mantra ever reply? Does he still have canoes / kayaks for sale? If you does can you PM with the details, thanks.

Can i ask what will be a dumb questions to all you kayaking old-hands.

Are 2 seaters very stable for adult and kid?

If we get flipped in by a passing long-tail boat what is the proceudre for getting back on the kayak?

How do you transport your kayak (2 seater - 12' or 14'), by roofrack or in back of pick-up / ute?

cheers

• 4 months later...

Understanding the Classification of Kayak

This should be your first priority when buying a kayak.

Kayaks have made some major advancements in design and use over time.

Today there are three main classifications of kayaks that are constructed and used by people all over the world:

Rigid Kayaks

Folding Kayaks

Inflatable Kayaks

Within these three main classifications there are sub-classifications which include whitewater kayaks, ocean kayaks, recreational kayaks, fishing kayaks, sit-on-top kayaks, inflatable Kayaks and skin on frame kayaks.

Look at the three main classifications and get a better understanding of what they are and how they differ from each other.

Rigid Kayaks:

Rigid kayaks are the most well known and are typically made of plastic, fibreglass, wood.

Plastic: – The Plastic kayaks are often cheap and therefore very affordable for those who want to purchase a kayak to try out the sport and see if they like it or for those who do not want to invest a lot of money. They are tough and can take a good amount of abuse but repairs are often NOT possible. They are often not as comfortable as the higher priced models made of other materials.

They are quite often heavy (thus require 2 to move or carry) so not useful for traveling with, or if you find yourself wanting to paddle alone.

Fiberglass: – The Fiberglass kayaks are usually lighter in weight, better in quality but higher in price than the plastic kayaks. They are Designed for the paddler who wants a better kayak. These kayaks can get damaged more easily than the plastic models but they are also a lot easier to repair.

Wood: – Wood kayaks are in a league all of their own. Their craftsmanship and beauty will depend on who is constructing it. Some are very well made while others are not. The quality, weight and price can differ greatly.

Folding Kayaks:

Folding kayaks have a collapsible frame usually made of aluminum, plastic, wood, or a combination thereof.

The frame is covered by a water-resistant and durable fabric.

Some types of folding kayaks use inflatable sponsons ( long sealed tubes along the hulls edge ) built into which makes the kayak float even if it is flooded with water.

Folding kayaks are typically well made, very durable and often more expensive than a regular rigid kayak.

They are ideal for those who want a good quality kayak that is portable enough to bring anywhere and easy to store away.

Some are of such quality that lifetime guarantees are offered ! This is kayaking in its truest form.

Cockpit size will vary by model, and they can range from single seat right up to 4 man and a dog.

The one negative is that they often take at least 20 minutes or longer to set up.

Inflatable Kayaks:

Inflatable kayaks are extremely portable and can usually be carried in a bag or a backpack as can most folding kayaks.

They are perfect for those who have limited storage space and want to travel with their kayak as are folding kayaks.

The best quality ones are made with either Hevealon, Hypalon, or Nitrylon. Inflatable kayaks have come a long way over the years.

Originally known as “duckies” they are now so well made that they are used by the US Coast Guard in many of their rescues.

Their tough construction and durable material means they do not dent and are able to withstand a fair amount of abuse.

Prices can vary greatly as can quality and performance. Each year there are more and more well made inflatable kayaks on the market.

Their popularity is gaining as more people look for easy and convenient ways to get out and enjoy the water.

They tend to be very stable and for this reason are great for beginner paddlers and people of all ages.

Some of the top models can keep up with a fixed hull kayak, should you ever find yourself racing one.

There one disadvantage is they need to be thoroughly rinsed and dry before storing away.

Moving them from place to place over a few days time deflated and wet / or dirty is not an issue.

I hope this information is useful to anyone that is unsure about what he should buy.

Should anyone wish my help or further advice reply me on this great forum.

I am very happy to meet or help other Thailand kayakers..:-)

Pungdo

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am interested in a two seater with space for a kid, or just a two seater, i prefer similair to/ or feelfreekayaks complete with paddles and the whole everything else one needs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a small, light canoe for long distance paddling. If any one knows where I could find one I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Also if anyone is interested in a long paddle with camping two nights to two weeks journeys I would be interested in finding some like minded people. I am in Isaan but would travel to just about anywhere in Tland.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...