Hanging wires in the news again - who could put up with this?

webfact

Hanging wires in the news again - who could put up with this?

s2a.jpg

Source: Daily News

CHIANG MAI: -- A Chiang Mai woman has reached the end of her tether after a tangled mass of cables and wires means she can hardly get in her own house.

And after repeated complaints fell on deaf ears she went to reporters to get something done about the unsightly mess at her place near the Mae Jo university, reported Daily News.

The woman, who asked not to be named, said that the problem with the eye level cables had been getting worse and worse for a year. She had reported the matter but very little had been done.

Apart from being very inconvenient she was worried that the mess might present a fire hazard.

The local electrical generating authority said that the wires were cables of several different companies. They have now called in the businesses to discuss how to solve the problem as quickly as possible.

Last week none other than Microsoft Bill Gates complained about the wires in Thai cities prompting action by the government who said they will bury the wires underground.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-05

It is simply visual evidence of apathy, absence of adhering to basic installation standards, lack of pride/professionalism on part of the tradesmen, and most likely cost savings measures of the providers

Edited by Aussie69

This recent Bill Gates invoked promise by gov't to move cables subterranean won't improve the quality of the installation, it will just hide it out of sight. Best outcome is that the providers get together and consolidate some of it during this process

I'm surprised no one has waded into that mess with a cutting tool like wire cutters or a good bolt cutter -- that would get the necessary attention focused on the problem. Just saying ...

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

I'm surprised no one has waded into that mess with a cutting tool like wire cutters or a good bolt cutter -- that would get the necessary attention focused on the problem. Just saying ...

Yeah and burn themselves to death in an explosion of sparks.

When you look at these installations all around it makes you wonder why the Thai's have the arrogance of being great which quite a few have. With wiring like we all see every day the feelings should be of shame not pride.

Edited by gandalf12

The majority of those wires are telephone lines. You wouldnt get a spark

Why though do people want fixed line communications? Most people have mobile phones so the fixed lines are redundant

Edited by gandalf12

Why though do people want fixed line communications? Most people have mobile phones so the fixed lines are redundant

Majority or not - you would only need to cut one power line and ppffht.

It would be a shame if the BBQ got out of control and burnt the low cabling. I'm guessing all the people without phone and internet as a result of the cook-up will make a lot of noise.

A little can of gasoline put on the wires at night by a hooded person and ignited would solve a lot here.

Well, fixed lines are definitely not redundant.

Internet, fax, telephone to name but a few, still work and are used by many.

Frankly, I'm impressed. That the Thais can keep communications running as well as they do with these sorts of rat's nests on just about every corner amazes me! Sure, there are power outages when it storms, but usually the rest of the time everything is working, if not working perfectly.

How do the workers trace a line through all that mess to repair them?!?

If they were powerlines running across those long distances without insulators there would have been melt downs long ago. They are internet and phone cables, mostly internet. I cant understand why they dont run fibre optic cable to replace the lot and share it, but hey thats wishful thinking I guess.

Majority or not - you would only need to cut one power line and ppffht.

None of those wires carry the normal electricity - otherwise there would already be going ppffht.....The power lines are the ones at the top connected to ceramic insulators.

Still a concerning mess and the cable TV, internet, phone lines or whatever do still have some type of charge - just nothing like the 'real' electricity cables on the top of the poles.

Could you imagine how the authorities would install underground power lines or communication cables . Any tree in the way would be removed - too hard to work around plus consider major earth works and disruption to traffic . The more mess and destruction the more effective the workers would appear. Then how would they find a breakage in the lines after installation - except by ripping up the whole section again.

And then what happens with flooding and current leakage if the lines are buried. Walking along and zapped.

As unsightly as they are it may the lesser of two evils - No easy answer in Thailand.

WOW, I am so excited, I have been here 13 years and this has been this way long before me. Several post hit right, unprofessional work by people you do not even know the difference, or care, I might add !!

Most people have mobile phones so the fixed lines are redundant

Indeed, many of the lines are redundant. However, there's apparently no obligation for a company to remove lines when they stop being used, and there's no proper record keeping to know which ones are used and which ones aren't.

I had a electrical fire at the townhouse that I rent in Cha Am. The fire was a result of either bad wiring in the house or the owners old floor fan that was left for me to use. I only lived there for a little over two months before the fire broke out, I feel that me and my two dogs were lucky to get out alive! I was upstairs im my bedroom when the fire broke out, my exit was blocked by thick smoke. Right after I moved in , I told the owners daughter, that I was getting minor electric shocks from the water heater in the shower, which I discontinued using. Also had a problem with the lights flickering. Most of the damage was from the thick smoke and soot. I figure my personal damages at 150,000 baht. The owners are not accepting any responsibility and are demanding 35,000 baht from me they are keeping my security deposit as well.

My Thai sister inlaw called the fire dept in Krabi, and apparently they are siding with me. They say that it is the owners responsibility to provide a safe environment to renters. But tit, I expect to come out on the short end!

Have same problem outside my house, last week they caught on fire. The electical people came and put up new wires, leaving all the burnt ones in place. One of the electrical contracters got elecrocuted in the process.