Applying for a retirement Visa

I've downloaded, from the Vancouver Thai Consulate the set of requirements for applying for a one year, multiple entry, Retirement Visa. I've acquired a bank statement, signed by an officer of the bank to prove my financial assets. One other requirement is: "Any bank statements require a letter of guarantee from the bank". Does anyone know what this letter of guarantee is? What is it supposed to guarantee? The requirement seems rather vague.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Randizzle.

I assume that you are talking about a non imm o-a multi entry visa. I apply for a new non imm o-a multi entry visa each year via the Los Angeles Thai Consulate and get a letter listing my bank accounts and their value as of that day on letterhead signed by an officer of the bank.

I have had no problems.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I assume that you are talking about a non imm o-a multi entry visa. I apply for a new non imm o-a multi entry visa each year via the Los Angeles Thai Consulate and get a letter listing my bank accounts and their value as of that day on letterhead signed by an officer of the bank.

I have had no problems.

By all means, continue your annual interaction with the Los Angeles consulate, but are you aware you might be able to cut that down to once every two years, since with planning you can make a Non-Immigrant O-A visa work for two years?

I have had no problems.

By all means, continue your annual interaction with the Los Angeles consulate, but are you aware you might be able to cut that down to once every two years, since with planning you can make a Non-Immigrant O-A visa work for two years?

Thanks. Yes I am aware on how to get two years out of this visa. However, that does not work for my schedule. I find my once a year interaction meets my needs and allows us to split our time between the two countries, with six month in each, and no hassles while in Thailand, except for a couple of 90 days reports which are easy. Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

I have been told that I need to take my financial statements to the US embassy in Bangkok and get A form signed by them then don't need the letter of guarantee.I don't know how Canada works.

We are assuming that the OP is asking for info on a non imm o-a multi entry visa which must be obtained in one's home country, rather than an extension of stay, which you are referring to.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

In my experience in dealing with the Thai Consulate in Vancouver over several years a statement of financial assets was sufficient. However, the rules may change at any time -- especially when there are personnel changes in the Consulate.

Thanks guys for all your information! I just found out that there is a Thai Consulate office in Seattle ! I guess I could go there and use there services?

There is no consulate in Seattle as far as I know. There is a honorary consulate in Portland Oregon.

List of honorary consulates is here: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

If you plan on applying for a OA visa you will have to do it the embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all your information! I just found out that there is a Thai Consulate office in Seattle ! I guess I could go there and use there services?

There is no consulate in Seattle as far as I know. There is a honorary consulate in Portland Oregon.

List of honorary consulates is here: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

If you plan on applying for a OA visa you will have to do it the embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles.

The op stated he got his initial information from the Vancouver consulate...if he's in fact Canadian, wouldn't he have to use the Thai Embassy in Toronto or an official consulte in Canada?

The op stated he got his initial information from the Vancouver consulate...if he's in fact Canadian, wouldn't he have to use the Thai Embassy in Toronto or an official consulte in Canada?
He is not the person that started the topic.

Hi all. This is Randy99, aka Randizzle. I'm the one that started the topic/thread and amusingly, it seems to have been hijacked. Doesn't matter. My bank, here in Victoria is going to cough up a letter that "guarantees" that the certified bank statement that they previously produced is genuine and reflects my current financial situation. So,,,,,,,, I believe all is good. I am in fact dealing with the Thai Consulate in Vancouver who one respondent described as quite helpful and I think reasonable. Cheers to all who've taken the time to respond. You're efforts are appreciated and helpful. :)

Regards, Randy99