Nationwide Crackdown on Short Term Apartment Rentals?

ctrunfree

Hi people

Over on the Phuket forum there's reports of a crackdown on short term (under 30 days) rental of apartments which aren't part of hotels. It seems its going to be a nationwide push, and one poster says his Bangkok condo has pictures in the lobby of one owner being arrested. Can people confirm what's happening in Bangkok? I'm coming to town on Friday, not staying in a condo this time, but I've done so many times in the past and would like to know what's going on.

Even if they were trying some type of crackdown you would have to be the worlds unluckiest person to get caught up in it.

How the hell would they even go about performing a crackdown.

I can't think it would be too hard for the condo managers to know who is doing short term lets, so presumably they'd be the first point of call for the BiB.

A few months ago, a notice in both Thai and English was posted in the lifts of my Bangkok condo building warning of stiff fines and prison sentences for any condo rental of less than 30 days' duration.

Unlike the other notices, which appear and disappear over time, these warning notices appear to be permanently emplaced.

There's consistent evidence of tightening of immigration law enforcement for the last few years.

I would only rent accommodations by legit hoteliers who do all the proper reporting. I stay at the same hotel in Bangkok 4-5 days every month and always give them my driver's ID. Well, that won't do now. Two weeks ago they told me they need to copy my passport and departure card from now on, a police order.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

They put up signs in some condo elevators, that's about it. It's not really an issue for a normal person renting out their room on Airbnb, and definitely not for you as the tenant.

By normal I mean that you aren't offering daily rentals to 100 Arabs, creating security problems and noise pollution for the rest of the building.

That's what started this whole thing, it recently happened in Sukhumvit - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916967-condo-with-up-to-ten-arabs-in-a-room-raided-for-illegal-hotel-operation-in-sukhumvit-soi-11/

If you're not in extreme violation of the rules I wouldn't really worry about it. It's like condos banning pets but not really caring unless the pet is seen and heard.

There's consistent evidence of tightening of immigration law enforcement for the last few years.

I would only rent accommodations by legit hoteliers who do all the proper reporting. I stay at the same hotel in Bangkok 4-5 days every month and always give them my driver's ID. Well, that won't do now. Two weeks ago they told me they need to copy my passport and departure card from now on, a police order.

Are you Thai or Foreigner?

The hotels I've (British) stayed in in BKK, Phuket & Pattaya have been taking copies of passports and departure cards for many years, but it may be different for Thai nationals as there's actually no reason for you to even have a passport if you're staying in a hotel in Thailand. Just wondering......

They put up signs in some condo elevators, that's about it. It's not really an issue for a normal person renting out their room on Airbnb, and definitely not for you as the tenant.

By normal I mean that you aren't offering daily rentals to 100 Arabs, creating security problems and noise pollution for the rest of the building.

That's what started this whole thing, it recently happened in Sukhumvit - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916967-condo-with-up-to-ten-arabs-in-a-room-raided-for-illegal-hotel-operation-in-sukhumvit-soi-11/

If you're not in extreme violation of the rules I wouldn't really worry about it. It's like condos banning pets but not really caring unless the pet is seen and heard.

No, that's not what was the cause of the Soi 11 enforcement. The enforcement was carried out because a group of hoteliers with properties close by complained that they were losing substantial business but still having to pay substantial taxes and fees.

Even if they were trying some type of crackdown you would have to be the worlds unluckiest person to get caught up in it.

Not that difficult. Fellow condo members are know to report the errant members who do this. There is a sign in the lobby of my BKK condo warning about this and saying renting condos for less than 30 days is illegal.

The hotels I've (British) stayed in in BKK, Phuket & Pattaya have been taking copies of passports and departure cards for many years, but it may be different for Thai nationals as there's actually no reason for you to even have a passport if you're staying in a hotel in Thailand. Just wondering......

I ... an American ... often stay in Thai hotels by showing only my USA ID card .... no passport.

(...)

(...)

Ordinary racism at work on TVF. Just great.

100 Europeans, Latinos, Indians or Chinese would be no issue, I take it?

Edited by Lannig

I ... an American ... often stay in Thai hotels by showing only my USA ID card .... no passport.

I see - one learns something everyday. smile.png Mind you, we Brits don't have ID cards as such so a PP is the obvious choice. Thanks for clearing that one up thumbsup.gif

(...)

(...)

Ordinary racism at work on TVF. Just great.

100 Europeans, Latinos, Indians or Chinese would be no issue, I take it?

You PC, bro?

My condo fines any owners who do this or if necessary reports them to immigration.

BS no such thing as US ID Card

I'm an American, and I've always used my Thailand drivers license to check in to hotels and domestic flights for the past 5 years. No passport and no departure cards ever requested.

Sounds like that convenience may be going by the wayside.

I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok in May and they were quite happy to accept my Thai driving licence as ID. A friend who was with me (UK) had to produce his passport but i don't know what the reception staff copied.

Alan

I still book AirBNB and don't give a hood about it

Well, it is the person who lets out his condo on daily rental who has to give a hood...

Sorry, but I can't help correcting the word. It should be "hoot".

Not that difficult. Fellow condo members are know to report the errant members who do this. There is a sign in the lobby of my BKK condo warning about this and saying renting condos for less than 30 days is illegal.

Most condo owners aren't too pleased to have Airbnb guests staying on short lets so that I'd more likely to cause a problem if the management of the condo enforce the rules.

BS no such thing as US ID Card

Wrong! there are State ID cards, issued by the DMV.

I still book AirBNB and don't give a hood about it

You will if the owners are reported and you get a knock on the door from the authorities.

You don't think that you'll be allowed to stay in an illegally rented condo regardless of your 'giving a hood', do you? You'll be out on your arse with no notice.

Sounds like they are under pressure from underbooked hotel owners.

Sounds like they are trying to do their job to stop criminal activities such as running illegal, unauthorised hotels, tax evasion and neglect to report foreigners living on their premises to immigration.