Encroached land of ‘Tiger Temple’ to be reclaimed

webfact

Encroached land of ‘Tiger Temple’ to be reclaimed

tiger-temple-wpcf_728x409.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- Encroached land covering more than 900 rai at the famous "Tiger Temple" will be reclaimed for land reform in an operation to be conducted by authorities tomorrow.

Land occupied by the temple is among 429 plots of encroached land in 25 provinces targeted as priorities for reclamation as each plot cover over 500 rai.

Under Section 44 of the interim constitution, the prime minister ordered that reclamation will first target large plot of encroached land so they could be used to reform for farming purpose.

Kanchanaburi land reform officer Mr Vajarim Wakamanont said Tiger Temple would be the first target among 14 in Kanchanaburi which have to be accomplished in 129 days.

However he said that before the launch of the operation at the Tiger Temple, a press briefing will be held first tomorrow to name all the 14 encroached plots covering over 15,000 rai and where they are located.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/encroached-land-of-tiger-temple-to-be-reclaimed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-07

Officials to take back Tiger Temple land
By Coconuts Bangkok

tiger-temple-wpcf_728x409.jpg
The tiger's head entry arch. Photo: Thai PBS

THAILAND -- Tomorrow agriculture reform officials will begin reclaiming encroached land in the province including the 931 rai of illegally occupied property that is part of the Tiger Temple.

So, what are they taking? That 931 rai (368 acres) holds several buildings including the abbot’s tiger-shaped office, an under-construction pagoda that is reported to cost THB400 million, a 200-room building that housed workers, and the entry arch in the shape of a tiger’s head with an open mouth.

The reclamation comes after an order from junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha. He referenced Section 44 of the interim constitution Tuesday and directed the Agricultural Land Reform Office (ALRO) to move quickly and reclaim illegally occupied agricultural land across the country, reported Bangkok Post.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/07/officials-take-back-tiger-temple-land

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-07

The aftermath of this ill executed exercise will haunt us for a long time to come........ The declared intentions by some people in DNP to release some tigers back into the wild is a huge concern.

This action would i believe at best be foolhardy and the practicalities would render it impossible. but worryingly also seems to indicate that some high ranking people involved in this grisly operation actually have no idea whatsoever about what they are doing.

If the temple's possession of 429 plots of land occupied is illegal, why does Article 44 need to be invoked?

I don't deny the use of Article 44 quickens the recovery of property because it denies the defendents of due process of law.

But its constant, almost mindless use does not contribute to practice of a fair and unbiased judicial system that is needed to sustain democracy.

If the temple's possession of 429 plots of land occupied is illegal, why does Article 44 need to be invoked?

I don't deny the use of Article 44 quickens the recovery of property because it denies the defendents of due process of law.

But its constant, almost mindless use does not contribute to practice of a fair and unbiased judicial system that is needed to sustain democracy.

Maybe the current government does not give a rats a$$ about democracy.

Should we go back to the fair and unbiased system that did nothing?

Maybe the current government does not give a rats <deleted> about democracy.

There have been so many coups I'm unable to remember whether this abomination was set up under a military or 'democratic' admin here. Perhaps someone could remind me?

There have been so many coups I'm unable to remember whether this abomination was set up under a military or 'democratic' admin here. Perhaps someone could remind me?

To suggest that the closure of the temple represents a change in attitude particular to any administration is just ridiculous.

the only reason action has been taken now is because of the continued pressure by animal rights and conservationists and finally the report by CEE4Life. After that it would have been difficult for any admin to ignore the problem

Edited by cumgranosalum

My understanding of what the article said was that there are 429 plots of over 500 rai nationwide, which will be reclaimed, and that the Tiger Temple holds one plot of over 900 rai out of those 429. There are 14 such plots in Kanchanaburi province alone, which will be named "tomorrow."

I have no idea why they have to use Article 44 so much except that regular law has so many loopholes (there are complicated historical reasons why the laws were written that way, going back to King Chulalongkorn). It wasn't such a problem under an absolute monarchy, although I don't think the King ever had all that much power.

Edited by Acharn

The fair and unbiased judicial system you mention that is needed to sustain democracy is also needed and to be practiced, for Thailand to have any chance of ever being referred to as a democracy.

When the accused are shown/known to be guilty as charged,''due process'' is just for show, fees to lawyers and keeping judges awake. Speed the process up, free up court rooms for cases unproven or questionable. I feel the lawyers have made a joke of the orginal intent, method of operation, sentencing, and punishment as was orginally intended for many judical systems.

The fair and unbiased judicial system you mention that is needed to sustain democracy is also needed and to be practiced, for Thailand to have any chance of ever being referred to as a democracy.

When the accused are shown/known to be guilty as charged,''due process'' is just for show, fees to lawyers and keeping judges awake. Speed the process up, free up court rooms for cases unproven or questionable. I feel the lawyers have made a joke of the orginal intent, method of operation, sentencing, and punishment as was orginally intended for many judical systems.

Surely a mark of "due process" would have involved the arrest and charging of the Abbot - who even from the very distant perspective of the EL press would appear to have some very real substantial allegations to deal with?

Further to what cumgranosalum replied to you, had you consulted Google and searched tiger temple, you would have learned that it was established as a forest temple in 1994 during the tenure of Chuan Leekpai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple