Rabies shots, how much does it cost?

Sotoho81

1 hour ago, Hereinthailand said:

How much did she pay for her job at that age ?

Worked in Yala. I'm sure you can ask your wife how fast you move up when working down South. To even have that as an initial thought probably just shows the quality of the people you hang out with...hence the 'weaker minority'.

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Thanks 1

It is obviously very important dogs are given vaccinations, I have four Alsatians and from time to time litters of puppies

I give all the shots myself, if you check on UTube it shows how to do it

I save a lot of money and keeps all my dogs safe , there will be some who might say I am not qualified but that is my choice, I do it all with great care and new needles etc

Edited by al007

8 hours ago, al007 said:

It is obviously very important dogs are given vaccinations, I have four Alsatians and from time to time litters of puppies

I give all the shots myself, if you check on UTube it shows how to do it

I save a lot of money and keeps all my dogs safe , there will be some who might say I am not qualified but that is my choice, I do it all with great care and new needles etc

Yes. Just got full bloods done on my dogs a couple of weeks ago. Vet was surprised a dog in the city had perfect blood lol. I have a Caucasian Shepherd and a mix Labrador. 3 year vaccinations are the way to go for me in terms of the health of the dog. 

Maybe due to the high cases of rabies recently, but the region I live in tomorrow has training for all Tessaban's to teach them how to administer the rabies vaccines. I think it's wrong thinking. We all know things are done by halves here, so just make one conservative effort to do all dogs every 3 years rather than a half arse effort every year and you'll probably find it is much more effective.

Also the budget isn't generally enough to cover every single temple, school, tessaban dog etc, so surely if you did a dog profile so you know which dog is vaccinated surely you cover 3 times as many dogs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Post-exposure shots update.

Got bitten by a dog here in the mooban this morning, five "light" puncture wounds, no slash or open wound.  Dog is controlled, might have had the appropriate shots.

But, just to be sure, I hatted off to the local district hospital with my bandaged and no longer bleeding lower arm.  Announced that I'd had a dog bite, went to get registered, then to the ER.

Two jabs, one in each shoulder and told to come back for follow up shots on the 5th, 8th, and 29th of May.

Vaccine it:  PCEC ID

Google it:  www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care

Off to the cashier, baht 280, which included 20 caps of Amoxicillin.  

Fairly crowded today, 1130 hrs when I got there, but out by 1230 hrs, pretty fast for a government hospital.

Mac

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Injections must be given in the deltoid region.  Injections given in the gluteal area are considered no good by the US CDC and must be redone in the deltoid area.

A rabid animal bite is not a medical emergency, but rather an 'urgency' (unless the victim is a child bitten on the face or neck).

Before you go to the hospital---immediately after being bitten--it is crucial to wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water for as long as 10 minutes.  The rabies virus moves slowly and you can remove a lot of the virus particles by washing.  Throw some iodine on there afterwards to kill other pathogens and some hydrogen peroxide to take care of the anaerobic bacteria including tetanus.

"Wound cleansing is especially important in rabies prevention because thorough wound cleansing alone without other postexposure prophylaxis markedly reduce the likelihood of

rabies in animal studies."   https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5703.pdf

If you've already been vaccinated---no matter how far back in time--and you're bitten again and want/need 'post-exposure prophylaxis for those previously vaccinated'---Then you only need TWO vaccinations on days 0 and 3 (day '0' is day of first vaccination which should be the day of bite or close to it).  Thai hospitals/doctors will try and tell you need all 4 (or 5) injections again, and they might even tell you that you need the Rabies Immune Globulin (RIG) again.  You do not.  Moreover, it is medically unsound to give the RIG if patient has already been vaccinated because the RIG  can interfere with the proper immune response to the vaccinations in those previously vaccinated.

1)   Preexposure vaccine prophylaxis THREE doses is administered on days 0, 7, and 21 or 28.  

2)   Postexposure for those already vaccinated TWO doses of vaccine, IM, on days 0 and 3).

3)   Postexposure for UNvaccinated patients bitten by a rabid animal, prophylaxis consists of  local infiltration of rabies immune globulin (RIG), and  FOUR (or 5) doses vaccine on days 0, 3, 7, 14, 28. When provided in a timely and appropriate manner, modern postexposure prophylaxis virtually assures human survival.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/nervous-system/rabies/overview-of-rabies

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha

• 4 months later...

An unhelpful post has been removed.

Costs will vary greatly depending on:

1. Whether immune globulin given as well as the vavcine and, if so, the amount (which inturn varies with wound size).

2. Brand of vaccine used.

My sister treated at a govt hospital cost about 5000 baht without immune globulin. It was an imported vaccine.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app