CDC chairman suspects a well-organised attempt to mislead public about the draft charter

webfact

CDC chairman suspects a well-organised attempt to mislead public about the draft charter

Meechai-wpcf_728x410.png

BANGKOK:-- Constitution Drafting Committee chairman Meechai Ruchupan will consult with the National Council for Peace and Order and the Election Commission about what he suspected to be a well-organised attempt to mislead the public about the essence of the draft constitution.

Copies of distorted draft charter emerged in Chiang Mai, said Meechai, adding that the cover of the copies was similar to the ones produced by the CDC but some of the contents were distorted.

Some of the copies which were distributed in Chiang Mai by students have been sent to the EC for checks.

Meechai said he personally received one of those copies during a lecture session at the government complex in Chaengwattana and suspected that many copies might have been printed and distributed.

He noted that he didn’t believe this was done by students themselves but it was a well organized attempt to mislead the public with the distorted draft charter copies.

As far as the CDC is concerned, Meechai maintained that, with one month to go before the referendum, the CDC’s role is to explain to the people about the content of the draft charter.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/171613-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-08

If the details of the referendum were published and issued to the public, then how would anyone be misleading anyone else?

People could comment and then anyone could refer to the details, that's what happens in democracy..

If the opposes to the new constitution have to fake it to make it look bad there is something wrong.

Let each one study it by themselves and make up their decision.

The democratic UK EU referendum was completely polluted with lies, misinformation and coercion from both sides.

A decision like this should be made by each individual studying the actual draft constitution, not listening to lies or coercions from other people.

If the opposes to the new constitution have to fake it to make it look bad there is something wrong.

The democratic UK EU referendum was completely polluted with lies, misinformation and coercion from both sides.

A decision like this should be made by each individual studying the actual draft constitution, not listening to lies or coercions from other people

You expecting the farmers and taxi drivers to study the constitution? You think the academics, non aligned activists, Dem party polticians and even former CDC members are lying? Forget about comparing to UK referendum as it is only a yes and no decision.

A decision like this should be made by each individual studying the actual draft constitution, not listening to lies or coercions from other people

You expecting the farmers and taxi drivers to study the constitution? You think the academics, non aligned activists, Dem party polticians and even former CDC members are lying? Forget about comparing to UK referendum as it is only a yes and no decision.

Which of the 2 had a "maybe" option? I hope you're not saying that farmers and taxi drivers are too stupid to make a decision.

Edited by halloween

Which of the 2 had a "maybe" option? I hope you're not saying that farmers and taxi drivers are too stupid to make a decision.

They are not stupid but South farmers and the taxi drivers will make the decision as it means Baht in their pockets.

Most people in Thailand can read and the constitution is only about 140 pages long (English version). There is also a short version, with explanations, available. Yes, I do think people may lie. In any case they should not try to persuade other people to vote the way they want them to vote.

And if you don’t care enough to try to understand at least the basic points of the constitution you should probably not vote at all.

Great many people in UK have regretted that they were listening to the lies and would have voted differently if they had known the facts.

Most people in Thailand can read and the constitution is only about 140 pages long (English version). There is also a short version, with explanations, available. Yes, I do think people may lie. In any case they should not try to persuade other people to vote the way they want them to vote.

And if you dont care enough to try to understand at least the basic points of the constitution you should probably not vote at all.

Great many people in UK have regretted that they were listening to the lies and would have voted differently if they had known the facts.

As mentioned by Eric, several activists and politicians from all sides have voiced critics of the charter, often also discussed in this forum. I would be very interested (among others I guess) to know what you consider as lies?

Seems reasonable, the illegal coup d'etat government has arranged "a well-organised attempt to mislead the public about the essence of the draft constitution."

Fair's fair... no point grumbling about someone else doing it if you've been doing it yourself.

Winnie

Geeh, let me think? Who might have CM as their main base camp even though they are hiding in the middle east?

The quieter Taksin is the more likely he is up to something no good.

Congratulations on being the first....

They are not stupid but South farmers and the taxi drivers will make the decision as it means Baht in their pockets.

Oh. SOUTH farmers. Would never happen in the North, would it? facepalm.gif

What, no hints as to who is behind this campaign ?

Cue Men at Work, "Who Could It Be Now"

Why don't you spell it out for us, Sherlock. Come on, we know you're dying to say the name of the bogeyman!

What, no hints as to who is behind this campaign ?

Cue Men at Work, "Who Could It Be Now"

Why don't you spell it out for us, Sherlock. Come on, we know you're dying to say the name of the bogeyman!

And if you dont care enough to try to understand at least the basic points of the constitution you should probably not vote at all.

As mentioned by Eric, several activists and politicians from all sides have voiced critics of the charter, often also discussed in this forum. I would be very interested (among others I guess) to know what you consider as lies?

It is very easy to pull a few sentences out of context from the draft constitution and paint doom and gloom on the wall with these, angle it to further your own agenda. Not technically lying but clearly dishonest misleading of the public.

The constitution is a document outlining checks and balances, rights, liberties and duties of the Thai people and its government. It should be read by the voters and they should then make their own mind up.

I can understand that there is an opposition among many politicians as this constitution will severely curtail their opportunities for power misuse and corruption.

It is very easy to pull a few sentences out of context from the draft constitution and paint doom and gloom on the wall with these, angle it to further your own agenda. Not technically lying but clearly dishonest misleading of the public.

The constitution is a document outlining checks and balances, rights, liberties and duties of the Thai people and its government. It should be read by the voters and they should then make their own mind up.

I can understand that there is an opposition among many politicians as this constitution will severely curtail their opportunities for power misuse and corruption.

BS. Having read the draft referendum, I can tell you that it is basically a thinly disguised attempt to install a mechanism by which the army can remain in power, whether visible or not.

I do not believe there is a credible alternative interpretation, and I believe that those who say there is must be challenged in their understanding synapses.

The only sensible way for the Thai people to behave in this instance, is to reject the draft constitution, knowing that it will make no difference to the Army's hold on power, but also knowing that it will flush them out such that their intentions are completely transparent to Thais, and to the international community. This is a balls-out attempt at validation by an illegal coup d'état government, and should be treated with the contempt that it richly deserves.

Personally I think the international community should apply sanctions to Thailand, even if only because it must now be clearly evident that they have been lied to, consistently, and with malice of forethought.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Thailand: English translation of draft Constitution

Submitted by editor4 on Tue, 05/07/2016 - 13:07

International Commission of Jurists

The ICJ, International IDEA (Australia) and the Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Thailand have collaborated to produce an unofficial translation of the draft Constitution of Thailand which is scheduled to be the subject of a national referendum on 7 August 2016.

The original Thai text as formally published by the Royal Thai Government shall in all events remain the sole authority having legal force.

A PDF file is on the page.

1MB

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/6324

Edited by tukkytuktuk

From a newspaper

The presented charter contains provisions for a new senate where the junta would appoint all 250 members, leaving six seats open for the heads of the armed forces. This appointed senate would check the powers of lawmakers during a five-year transitional period following the first elections.

From the translated draft charter

The Senate shall consist of two hundred members selected

among themselves of persons who possess knowledge, expertise, experience, profession,

or common characteristic or interest, or who work or have worked in diverse fields of the

society. Division into groups shall be carried out in a manner that enables every eligible

person to be included in any group.

The division into groups, number of groups and qualifications of individuals in

each group, submission and acceptance of applications, rules and procedure for selection

among themselves, number of senators to be acquired from each group, listing of

reserves, elevation of persons in the reserve list to fill a vacancy, and any other necessary

measure to ensure honest and fair selection shall be in accordance with the Organic Law

on the Acquisition of Senators. For the benefit of honest and fair selection, a rule may be

established that applicants in each group shall not select any person from the same group

or that the recruitment of applicants shall be made by any other means therein the

applicants are engaged.

The procedure in Paragraph Two shall proceed from the district level, to the

provincial level, and to the national level so as to ensure that members of the Senate

represent all Thai people nationwide.

Seems to me that the draft charter is (if a bit long winded) simple to understand and the same as being reported in the news. Edited by tukkytuktuk

I guess if you are ok with unelected PM, full appointed senators, more power to the idependent agencies and not recognizing the there are now more checks and insufficient balance and a charter written exclusively by junta appointed CDC, this is the charter for you and the establishment. But do spend some time to read the following independent opinion.

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/tensions-likely-from-thailands-new-charter

As for me, my beliefs are that the people should be the one who decide who will be their leaders, a charter should be all inclusively written, PM must be elected, bottom up leadership and separation of power. You may have other values and beliefs.