British teenager kept prisoner in his bedroom for two years released in dramatic rescue

webfact

Love all the Pommy purists venting here.

Isn't it true that going out for a curry is more popular than fish and chips?

Most common name for a boy is mohammed or a derivative thereof?

And the same posters have the nerve to call Thais xenophobic.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they would make the distinction between someone of British ethnicity (ie, cleaving to thousands of years of local culture) and someone simply holding a British passport (ie, having just turned up and made himself at home). Big difference.

What about German ethnicity? You Brits are mongrels, as much as any of your former colonies.

I wish they would make the distinction between someone of British ethnicity (ie, cleaving to thousands of years of local culture) and someone simply holding a British passport (ie, having just turned up and made himself at home). Big difference.

They're reporting the news, not pandering to the sensitivities of the bigoted.

Bigoted, and racist.

At least he has a British passport. When the British occupied India, pillaged it and called it home for 200 years, they didn't bother to hold an Indian passport. Some people just don't seem to understand that in politics, economics and sociology, as in all other matters, you reap what you sow. But most of all, some people (or should I say most) have a very short memory span.

As for the 'thousand years of local culture' ...

1/ The Angles (who gave England its name) were of Germanic origin and invaded the islands in pre-Roman times.

2/ The conquest of England by the Romans started with Julius Caesar around 50 bc, continued by Claudius about a century later. Emperor Hadrian's wall was built around 125 AD.

3/ The Norman conquest of England occured in 1066 under the leadership of William II of Normandy. To this day, innumerable traces of the Norman/French culture are to be found in the English culture and language.

4/ Until 1917 the House of Windsor, to whom Her Gracious Majesty belongs, was called House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

All these 'foreign' influences didn't make English culture poorer, they made it richer. A richness wich is now severely under attack by parochialism, xenophobia and narrow-mindedness.

True to say that pretty much any "native" English/American speakers are all landrobbers and criminals... They are all nowadays the laudest complainers about immigrants. Says it all about live on this planet

I'm a Celt. Bugger off back where you came from.

Nice try, but I don't think there were any Celts in Yorkshire at the time (well, correct me if I'm wrong - I have nothing but respect for the Celts).

The kingdom of Elmet (conquered 626) is generally reckoned to be Celtic, i.e Brythonic.

"The man, who is of Indian decent but reportedly has British citizenship"

True they have spelled/spelt "descent" incorrectly, but they seem to have done exactly what you accuse them of not doing.

1/ The Angles (who gave England its name) were of Germanic origin and invaded the islands in pre-Roman times.

True to say that pretty much any "native" English/American speakers are all landrobbers and criminals... They are all nowadays the laudest complainers about immigrants. Says it all about live on this planet

I guess the English speakers know well the potential dangers of immigrants taking over!

I believe the non-standard theory is that it was the Saxons who were in Britain before the Roman conquest, whence the name Litus Saxonicum of the military command on the east (and south) coast of what is now England. The Angles are believed to have come from Angeln, in Schleswig-Holstein. Of course, it is confusing that the Saxons are connected to the Old Saxons of Germany. To add to the confusion, the Anglo-Saxons of England seem to have spoken a form of Frisian. It's all a tangled web.