Gay novice monk, 15, murders ex at Chiang Mai temple

webfact

Nudgerman writes

The word Buddha (for that was not his real name) means "fully awake" which as a man (a prince) is what he remarkably achieved.
Any monk not following the path that he laid out is asleep and living in Ego, for it was only by annihilating his Ego did he become and attain enlightenment.

So in answer to your question:
No this incident has nothing to do with Buddhism in any way shape or form and anyone following his teachings that then deviates from it is off the path.
The song is a great song but not all singers are great.

reply to that

Point taken, obviously, but the question was rhetorical and I thought that would be obvious.

If you can't sing at all, and can't even grovel in key, then get off the stage.

Apart from the diligent attempts of a number of TV posters, how often do you see an editorial or thread or post commenting on the extreme disparity that exists in this country between the tenets

of their relgion according to the books, and ideologies of their much vaunted religion and the consistently violent attitudes of the followers?

Footnote. This is not Thaialnd bashing: The same may be said for other countries, but we live here and contrast makes this country interesting, but a man of peace is shocked by the differences in this area of life here. Its time the people got off their butts and started talking about it.

Nudgerman writes

The word Buddha (for that was not his real name) means "fully awake" which as a man (a prince) is what he remarkably achieved.

Any monk not following the path that he laid out is asleep and living in Ego, for it was only by annihilating his Ego did he become and attain enlightenment.

So in answer to your question:

No this incident has nothing to do with Buddhism in any way shape or form and anyone following his teachings that then deviates from it is off the path.

The song is a great song but not all singers are great.

reply to that

Point taken, obviously, but the question was rhetorical and I thought that would be obvious.

If you can't sing at all, and can't even grovel in key, then get off the stage.

Apart from the diligent attempts of a number of TV posters, how often do you see an editorial or thread or post commenting on the extreme disparity that exists in this country between the tenets

of their relgion according to the books, and ideologies of their much vaunted religion and the consistently violent attitudes of the followers?

Footnote. This is not Thaialnd bashing: The same may be said for other countries, but we live here and contrast makes this country interesting, but a man of peace is shocked by the differences in this area of life here. Its time the people got off their butts and started talking about it.

I believe we are all shocked.

Yes, I believe shock is appropriate for a time, and then there is a time to act upon it.

According to modern pschology the ego is a necessary part of our life mechanisms, which is why the Buddha or the Prince

commented that the highest path was that of the family.

The middle path, because it required such a deft balance between

moderation, abstemiousness, and the exigencies and temptations of life and there are no more temptations available in this society

than those presented in the family. In other words, temptations most ordinary people can financially afford.

Especially the care of children and the elderly and what I have seen here in great abundance, is

those opportunities slain for the sake of money, greed, perversion and abuse at the family level.

Shocking is a good word for it, even if its not strong enough.

Yes, I believe shock is appropriate for a time, and then there is a time to act upon it.

According to modern pschology the ego is a necessary part of our life mechanisms, which is why the Buddha or the Prince

moderation, abstemiousness, and the exigencies and temptations of life and there are no more temptations available in this society

than those presented in the family. In other words, temptations most ordinary people can financially afford.

Especially the care of children and the elderly and what I have seen here in great abundance, is

those opportunities slain for the sake of money, greed, perversion and abuse at the family level.

With respect this will be my last reply for it is a lengthy subject and worthy of much debate.

Buddha renounced all things in his search for enlightenment sex , money, title, and somewhere, after the time he attained enlightenment he said

"Do not worship me i am not a God if you want to be like me follow the path i have laid out" and bear in mind he was from Nepal not Thailand.

However Thailand adopted his teaching and have ever since worshipped him, totally missing his message of mindfulness of the Ego of which manifests itself in many forms in Thai culture.

None more so than face.

In a nutshell they fail to see the folly of their ways (as do many of us do i might add)

Regarding the Middle Way.

The middle way is less austere than the path Buddha took.

Approaching life via the middle way is mindful to my understanding inasmuch that it teaches us that to live a world full of Ego and that we have to have necessary Ego but dispense with the unnecessary Ego.

There are of course true and good advocates of his teachings here in Thailand usually in the mountains .... but it needs to be taught to the young properly in their school days.

As foreigners we have little or no say in that..... Peace

With respect this will be my last reply for it is a lengthy subject and worthy of much debate.

Buddha renounced all things in his search for enlightenment sex , money, title, and somewhere, after the time he attained enlightenment he said

"Do not worship me i am not a God if you want to be like me follow the path i have laid out" and bear in mind he was from Nepal not Thailand.

However Thailand adopted his teaching and have ever since worshipped him, totally missing his message of mindfulness of the Ego of which manifests itself in many forms in Thai culture.

None more so than face.

In a nutshell they fail to see the folly of their ways (as do many of us do i might add)

Regarding the Middle Way.

The middle way is less austere than the path Buddha took.

Approaching life via the middle way is mindful to my understanding inasmuch that it teaches us that to live a world full of Ego and that we have to have necessary Ego but dispense with the unnecessary Ego.

There are of course true and good advocates of his teachings here in Thailand usually in the mountains .... but it needs to be taught to the young properly in their school days.

As foreigners we have little or no say in that..... Peace

Yes its a great subject worthy of a lot of analysis. I would not dare the folly of debating it.

As a teacher, I do bring it up in classes, but find that overall, most are willing to take it for what it is. You "do" it like having breakfast.

No matter what a spiritual master's wisdom, you can bet the first thing that happens on their death, if not before it, is it will be turned into

a religion and politicized as fast as the control and power freaks can manage to get advantage over the masses.

Great if one gets some peace from the wisdom. Peace to you also.

Now it is goodbye Kitty, stupid young idiot.

Typical behavior of young Thai males.

If they do not get their own way they lash out, have a tantrum.

They want to be men but have the mentality of a child. Thing is very few actually grow up. Maybe Thailand should be advertised by the TAT as the home of Peter Pan

NO, Peter Pan a good.............

Nice one

I don't get the focus here on the monk aspect.

These are two human beings that had a history with each other.

I think the boy, being a minor, and accusing the murdered man basically with attempted rape, probably does have a credible defense depending on the legal system here.

In the west, such defenses are sometimes called "homosexual panic" but this is different than that based on their history.

Of course the murdered man isn't here to give his version of what really happened.

there is not a single day in this country, without a kid committing a murder.

(Or monk involved in a serious crime!)

Yesterday it was these 14 and 15 yo kids who stabbed a cabbie in the neck. Whats wrong with that generation?

Edited by Bender

Yes, it's only Thais who kill people in jealous rages... oh wait a minute, no it's not. It's just another set of racist anti-Thai posts on ThaiVisa, again. Whenever anything happens in Thailand it must be cultural and the fault of an inferior nation; whereas the gun toting maniacs who shoot people at random in the states? They're just crazy. It's not a homicidal nation just one where individuals kill individuals. Knock it off people. Use your brains. This has nothing to do with it being Thailand and everything to do with the fact that some individuals are fragile and insane everywhere.

Now it is goodbye Kitty, stupid young idiot.

Typical behavior of young Thai males.

If they do not get their own way they lash out, have a tantrum.

I would say typical comment from a "stupid old idiot western"
You never generalizes about a news item, your mother would have you teach it.