Hoy Lai (Clams) Question

ThaiEddie

HELLO!!!

My wife, at my request, bought me some Clams today. They are Hoy Lai and have a criss-crossed pattern. Is there any preparation I should do prior to cooking these lovely morsels? For example; Do I soak them in water or discard any open ones? They should be fresh, she knows clams. I'm using a recipe I found online but it doesn't mention any pre-prep.

Thanks!!!

Yes, discard any which won't close when tapped or have broken shells. (And after cooking, discard any which remain closed.)

Give a good rinse under cold running water and you're good to go. There might be a little bit of grit remaining, but nothing to worry about. A more thorough cleaning (e.g. soaking overnight in salted water, as some people advocate) is going to spoil the taste.

Yes, discard any which won't close when tapped or have broken shells. (And after cooking, discard any which remain closed.)

Give a good rinse under cold running water and you're good to go. There might be a little bit of grit remaining, but nothing to worry about. A more thorough cleaning (e.g. soaking overnight in salted water, as some people advocate) is going to spoil the taste.