Part Exchange In Thailand.

Does anyone actually know of anywhere here in Thailand and more preferably, up North that actually is willing to do a straight part exchange for motorbikes?

Any dealers?

I want to put in a CBR250R ABS and then trade up to the Yamaha R3, no one up here seems remotley interested, they either want to sell you the bike or sell your bike, there is no willingness to offer a part exchange, Why?

As you have no reply since yesterday, here is my immediate reaction.

You wrote "TRADE UP" but want to trade what must be a "lower" bike for a "higher" bike? Sounds like a dealer would lose money. Why don't you get a price on the R3 and then see what they think they can sell your CBR for and then deal?

Noise - Well that is basically what a Trade Up involves, you trade a lower value item with a higher value item and make up the difference with cash. Why would a dealer lose money? I don't follow, it is common practice in the USA and Europe, the person selling the item generally loses out a bit as the trade in price is usually lower than the selling price - it is a matter of convenience! You don't spend weeks trying to sell the item to generate the cash to buy the new item, by which time the original item gets sold, the one you want to buy has already been sold.

You obviously missed the point of the OP right from the outset, All I was trying to do was to get the seller of the R3 to give me a price for the Honda, and I make up the difference!

Quote: "Why don't you get a price on the R3 and then see what they think they can sell your CBR for and then deal?" Which is what a part exchange is!

Confusing language for me.

Maybe "whole exchange" would be closer as you're not trying to swap parts and pieces but the entire bike.

"Trade in" is the vernacular in my opinion.

Thais don't like to buy used vehicles and the dealer likely has more than enough used bikes they can't sell. Also they sell Yamahas so why have a used Honda in stock?

If you don't understand what I am talking about it might be better not to comment? I never feel comfortable about responding about topics about Nuclear Physics for the exact same reason. Generally if I don't understand the post, I wouldn't bother "Sticking My Oar In" - You probably do not understand that either.

Let me explain....Part Exchange involves you taking the item you want to sell to the person you want to buy the new item from.

The person selling buys the item you want to sell (probably at a cheap price)

You then offset this when you buy the newer more expensive item.

Not difficult, common sense really.

New item 500K

Part Ex 250K

(Retail sale value 300K) (But you don't want to wait)

You give the unwanted item to the seller, he knocks off 250k from the original price, you pay 250K and happily walk away...trust me it is not that difficult if you think about it.

Edited by Generalchaos

What you are talking about often happens in the west you trade in a car and get a discount on the new car and make up the difference. I have not seen this in Thailand but I am no expert.

Funny that I understand it directly as a non native speaker. Maybe because this is a custom I have often seen in the Netherlands. It usually is done for cars and motorbikes.

Edited by robblok

I P,exed my Honda 250 crfm,trading up to a new CB 500X.

Honda Big Bike,Nakon Sawan.

Also A small independent bike seller does trade in,or straight buys in Phitsanulok.

Maybe it is a case of shopping around.

Also A small independent bike seller does trade in,or straight buys in Phitsanulok.

I have had a look around here in Chiang Mai and still haven't found anyone that will buy a bike for cash as a part exchange, they will do it for cars no problem, but for some reason they want to sell your bike first.

I took a Toyota pick up down to my Toyota dealer, they had a buyer willing to give cash in 20 minutes, but a bike seems to be a different story. Why? I have no idea.

I have had a look around here in Chiang Mai and still haven't found anyone that will buy a bike for cash as a part exchange, they will do it for cars no problem, but for some reason they want to sell your bike first.

I took a Toyota pick up down to my Toyota dealer, they had a buyer willing to give cash in 20 minutes, but a bike seems to be a different story. Why? I have no idea.

It's called cash flow and risk management. The dealer does not get all the cash for selling your the new bike until he sells your old one. He does not want assume the risk of how long it will take to sell your old bike and likely they are not in used bike business anyway. Also the distributor likely holds the title to all the bikes on sale and expects his money as soon as the new bike is sold.

Basic business principles.

TH