MNP from TrueMove to AIS, Thai bureaucracy at its best

wpcoe

I have now failed three times to transfer (MNP) my existing phone number from TrueMove to AIS:

22-June: went to the True office to update my passport number and address

25-June: submitted paperwork for MNP in AIS office

28-June: received SMS that MNP failed, so I called AIS and was advised to check the formatting of my name in the True computer (all uppercase, initial caps, or all lowercase, and verify whether my middle name was in the field for my first name or last name) and also to verify my passport number

29-June: went to True office to verify my passport number and formatting of my name to find that only my address was updated on 22-June, not my passport number. I was advised they cannot change my passport number. I advised the increasingly testy representative that they must change it. Repeat 5 cycles of that, and rep went into back room, returned, made a copy of my passport and said passport number would be updated in 24 hours. Boy, that was easy. Not.

01-July: (waited 48 hours) verified in True office that my passport number was updated in their computer system. Submitted new MNP paperwork in AIS office. Was asked if my name was spelled in all large letters, and I replied that it was all uppercase letters/large letters (I used both phrases), also advised my middle name was to be included in the field with my first name.

04-July: received SMS that MNP failed, called AIS and was told that in the AIS shop on 01-July she had input my name using initial capitals only. Rep on phone advised he would check with MNP department the next day (it was after 5:00pm) about re-formatting my name and re-submitting the MNP paperwork

05-July: AIS rep called me back and said my name was updated, and paperwork resubmitted

08-July: received SMS that MNP failed because True had an outstanding balance

I have automatic deduction from my SCB savings account for my TrueMove bill and on 21-June (my monthly billing date) my bill was paid. After an excruciating conversation with a True rep on the phone tonight, I found out that True had changed my billing date from the 21st to the 28th. They then calculated a pro-rated amount for the period from the 22nd to the 28th, but apparently never sent a bill, or at least I never got one, nor an e-mail reminder (which I usually get.) The rep on the phone said they did that because I changed packages. (!) All I did was submit a change of address and passport number.

Not only did they change my billing date, they apparently re-set the settings in my account: I needed to call the USA last week and found that overseas calls had been disabled, and my TrueMove account info is no longer accessible on my smartphone app. Just dawned on me that's probably why I didn't receive an e-mail bill, too. Wow. Thanks so much, TrueMove.

So, tomorrow I will trudge down to the True office yet again to pay that prorated bill so AIS can submit the MNP paperwork a fourth time. Wonder why they didn't auto-deduct it from my SCB bank account?

The bright spot in this adventure is the English-speaking rep on the phone at AIS. (I talked to the same fellow each time I called.) Not only is his English flawless, he understands exactly how the MNP process works and went out of his way to help me. Because the SMS's advising of failure all came just before 5:00pm, he was unable to check with the MNP department until the next day and his shift starts at 2:00pm, but he reliably called me back the next day between 2:00pm and 3:00pm.

It is always recommended that you first transition from post-paid to pre-paid at your current provider, wind down any remaining pre-paid balance (leaving enough for the MNP fee), then port out to a pre-paid account on the new provider. Then subscribe to a post-paid plan, if that's what you ulitmately want.

Porting out on pre-paid has a much, much, much higher success rate than porting out on post-paid.

Good to know if I ever do this again. I've MNP'd twice in the past: from DTAC to True and from True to TrueMove (sounds strange, but it was true, pun intended) and both of those were smooth.

This morning I went to True office to pay the B176.49 that held up the last MNP, and then to AIS office to resubmit the paperwork. Let's see if the fourth time is the charm.

I too transfered my number from True to AIS. The AIS rep was very helpful but True was a major pain. I had to go the a True office twice to verify their information was correct. The second time the lady showed me the information on her computer screen. I think True will keep dragging their feet and hope that you just forget about it. In any case, I'm happy to be rid of True.

FWIW, the same call center rep with whom I talked last night called me back after researching what happened to my account.

Today, it became apparent that the gal in the True shop on the 22nd -- the one who submitted my address change but not my passport info -- was the one who screwed things up. The rep on the phone was reticent to blame anyone, but did offer to send a message to that shop to explain what happened to my account, and why it was wrong and that it had caused a cascade of problems.

She confirmed that a simple change of address and/or passport number should not in any way affect the billing for a plan. On the 22nd, basically my plan was canceled and a new plan of identical price/features (even though my current plan has not been available for a few years now) was started. That's why I lost the approval to make overseas calls, why I need to reactivate the ability to use the True mobile phone app, why the prorated bill was not deducted from my bank account, why I never got the usual e-mail notice about a bill, why a bill prorating my monthly rate was generated, and probably other things that I haven't uncovered yet got reset/canceled.

One incompetent employee can cause a bunch of hurt.

[edited for better clarity and accuracy]

Edited by wpcoe

I've been with True for years. Barely a month goes by without some issue or other. Don't ask me why I stick with them. Language skills are terrible. I'll often get a Thai friend to speak on my behalf. I also have an AIS sim that I use not so often in my iPad. The call centre speak perfect English, are always efficient and always polite.

• 6 months later...

Just going through this saga myself.  It hasn't got any better!!!  

14.01.17:  Went to AIS 8 days ago after first going to True and changing from post-paid to pre-paid to be sure there was no outstanding bill.  This time the AIS staffer gave me a new SIM and said wait 5-7 working days to complete the process and receive the AIS message that their SIM can now be used.  Normally 5 working days.  

15.01.17:  One minor glitch was the AIS staffer calling me a few hours after I'd left and saying she'd given me the wrong type of SIM (not size) for porting contracts and could I go back the next day and pick up the correct one.  Sure.  TIT.  Used to it :saai:

21.01.17:  Looks like the process has changed a little as today (Saturday) I got an SMS from AIS to send a USSD code with my passport number to a number which I believe belongs to the National Broadcasting and Telephone Commission where a new system (ahhhhh - this was always going to be stumbling block I guess) was being used to 'improve' the MNP process.  Basically got a result back - can't be ported.  ID mismatch :sad:  Surprise, surprise (NOT!!!).

So.  Off to True.  Check the details, everything correct.  Passport number, name.  Topped up the pre-paid card also as I got tired of having no credit and no internet outside (didn't top up at first as I wrongly laboured under the misapprehension that all would go well and in accordance with the time frame originally suggested).  Then off to AIS, luckily only next door to True!  Checked there.  Everything correct. Name all entered in upper case and in the same order as True, passport number spot on.  Scoured the whole AIS system BUT then found AIS had got 1 digit wrong in my date of birth (not surprising giving the seemingly impossible task and resultant lottery for companies when trying to hire staff who are able pay attention to detail, care about their job and work diligently, unsupervised - they also managed to get my address wrong the first time we went somewhere between filling it in on a form and inputting those details to the system - just come across it SO many times.  All part of Thainess I guess!).  Staffer this time did say the system doesn't check date of birth but I can't think of anything else that would result in an ID mismatch other than a new system 'beta tester' failure.

Filled out another MNP form and this time, need to wait two working days, so that's the weekend out again too.  We'll see, pity I have to add being at the mercy of a 'new system' to the uncertainties of where exactly the process might fall down.

Quite often I find the smiles and superficial efficiency of these outlets is quickly replaced with what becomes a WUTT (wading uphill through treacle) event involving multiple visits, calls, emails and messages to try and get things resolved and/or put right.  If it's all up and running it'll be 12 days from start to finish.  IF!!

Edited by SooKee

@SooKee:  Have you called the AIS customer service center?  When I was going through my lather,rinse,repeat saga, there was one guy on the English-speaking desk who took the time to research the situation every time it failed and let me know what exactly had failed, and what to do the next time I went to the AIS shop.  Can't recall his name any more, but he started work mid-afternoon (1400? 1500?) because he would tell me to wait until after that time for him to call me back the next day, and he always replied within 30 mins of starting his shift.

Chok dii!

Cheers.  Not yet.  I'll give them this second time chance before I contact them.  The guy at the shop to be fair was very helpful and said to go see him if it didn't work with the print out I got from the True screen.  Told me he'd call whoever he needed to and sort it.  He was tinkering with different pages entering codes here and there so we'll see.  I can speak Thai OK so don't have the problem of getting staff to understand.  Just getting the system to work :sad:

So far so good it seems.  The process has changed now though and their website bears little resemblance to what happens now.  New system has only been in place a week or so.  It seems there is now some kind of pre-approval checking service in place whereby you provide your details to AIS on the MNP form, they do what they need to do on their system and it's then completely different to their website.

1)  After 5-7 days you get an SMS from AIS.  This will tell you to send an SMS merely containing your passport number to the number they give you.  You also get another number included in the message.  A number you need to call.  See 3) for details

2) Up to 10 minutes later (but in my two cases immediately) you get an SMS back from your own service provider and if the details both providers have for you don't match you get a 'Number cannot port out due to ID mismatch'.  Then it's back to both providers to find where the anomaly is.  Luckily though, if your'e unfortunate enough to get that response, the company you're porting to will do another MNP form but you have have two wait 2 days this time.  If there is no problem and the details match etc the message you get back from your current provider will give you a PIN number for your 'port to' provider.

3) Once you get the port PIN you then call the second number in the message you received at 1).  Follow the instructions which is basically enter your passport number, then enter the PIN your current provider gave you.

4) Later (7 hours in my case) you will get a message from your 'port to' provider saying the port is waiting approval.

5)  You will then get another message (in my case 3 hours after the message at 4) advising that the port is now waiting approval from your current provider.

That's the stage I'm at now.  Fingers crossed!!!!  The newness of the system sadly means at the moment that quite a few staff, including the Call Centre operators, are TOTALLY clueless about what you have to do.  When I went to AIS today there was a gaggle of about 4 staff all stood round gazing at the messages I had received, seemingly thinking that the harder they stared at them, some form of inspiration would pop out from the screen.

Edited by SooKee

Still waiting for the approval.  Seems like I have been misfortunate enough to get caught smack in the middle of two systems. If this is supposed to speed things up it's EPIC FAIL at the moment!!!!  This is from an article saying how it's SUPPOSED to work:

"The new system (which goes live on 20 January) requires only one day to activate after a MNP request is submitted by a customer to the old operator via their mobile phone by dialling *151* plus their ID card number, pressing # and making a phone call.The user can then contact the new network operator by showing a text message that contains a quick code and a message from the old operator confirming that the MNP request has been received. 

Under the old MNP system a mobile user had to contact their operator and write their details on a paper form. The old operator would then send the user's information to the new service provider. The process took at least three calendar days to complete.

Mr Takorn said the new system is expected to eliminate the complexity of the number porting process as it will be done through the digital channel."

Given that you are supposed to be able get the message I posted about in 1) above ONE DAY after submitting the request I can't figure why I didn't get it for 8 days!!  I'm guessing that as the new system was coming my application went into the "<deleted> it - can't be bothered" tray until the 20th seeing as I applied on the 14th.  Coincidentally the new system was implemented on the 20th and that's the day I got my message.  Had the system worked as it was supposed to I think it should have been:

1) Submit MNP form

2) Next day get message as at 1 in the above.  Same day call the number they provide and submit passport number.  Receive message from True.  Call AIS number, enter the port PIN. Same day get AIS approved message and notification it's waiting approval at True.

3) 1-2 days later.  Activation.

Sadly I waited 8 days for stage 1 to even happen.  Hopefully, if I EVER have to do this again it'll work as intended.  Bad timing, lack of information from and pi55 poor staff.

FAIL AGAIN!!

No SMS from True or AIS for two days about anything.  Mailed the AIS Call Centre last night.  Today they replied that True rejected the request.  What!!!!!!!  So why no SMS from AIS telling me there was a problem so I could do something about it!!!!  :post-4641-1156693976:

Went back to AIS today to make 100% sure that it was True causing the problems as I intended to complain (for what it's worth) to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (FWIW) about one or both companies.  Helpful staffer checked AIS.  No problem at AIS end.  Even called True.  Problem, True, outstanding bill!  What!!!

Wind back to 14th when I changed my contract from post-paid to pre-paid. Asked if there was anything else to pay.  Staffer said need to wait 5 days for the last bill.  Come back on the 18th.  Went back on the 20th to be on the safe side.  Have I got a bill today.  No.  Nothing sir.  All finished. Are you sure?  Yes sir.

Went back today and told them AIS had called YOUR company and they were told I had a bill to pay.  Checked.  Oh yes sir.  300 baht.  So why the <deleted> didn't you tell me this when I came in on the 20th!!  Oh sorry sir, customer need to wait 7 days for last bill to generate.  So why are your staff telling people the wait time is 5 days and in my case SPECIFICALLY telling me to come back on the 18th??  And why no communication via SMS or even the True app indicating there is an outstanding bill.  Absolutely un-bloody-believeable!!!

Thing that annoys me about all this is that

1. My application seemingly just sat at AIS for 7 days before anything was done with it.  Even if it'd been explained that I needed to wait for the new system to activate on the 20th I'd have been not to happy but at least I'd have known and could have topped up the phone and taken out a 7 day data plan.

2. The new system clearly only checks for ID match NOT an outstanding issue.  Probably because it checks details held on a government system, not the company systems.  Do the ID details both have for you match.

3. As I got a message saying 'can't port out due to ID mismatch', pity you can't get one saying 'can't port out due to unpaid bill'  But see 2.

4. Once the message came from AIS that the request had been passed to the current service provider, why no update indicating the process had failed!

5.  Why does the provider that rejects the port not provide the SPECIFIC reason (e.g. in this case 'unpaid bill') so you know where the problem is EXACTLY.

6. Clueless staff providing inaccurate and misleading information.  The bill I needed could not be generated until 21/01/17.  Why didn't they tell me to wait 7 days after changing on the 14th and why didn't they tell me to come back the next day when I went on 20th!!!

My advice to anyone doing this would be:

DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES start this process until you have:

1. Changed your contract with your current provider from post-paid to pre-paid (where relevant)

AND

2. Make sure you have paid the last bill and got a receipt for it for which you may need to wait 7 days (or whatever)

AND

3 Make 100% sure that BOTH companies have your details 100% correct. Not just that they used the same passport (as the opportunities for staff user input error seem immense) BUT that they have your name EXACTLY right (and all with the same combination of lower case / capital letters); that your passport / ID number is EXACTLY right and that your date of birth is EXACTLY right.

While the new system should only take 2 days from start to finish that 2 days DO NOT take into account what you need to do in order to get your number prepared for porting (as in 1-3 immediately above).

Shambolic!!! If I NEVER have to do this again it'll be too soon.

Edited by SooKee

Holy crap have you been getting the runaround!  However, even if the system worked as it's now designed, it seems way more complex than it needs to be and what it used to be.

Tell me about it LOL.

While I ain't a happy camper by any means but I think once the system is up and fully working and once all staff are familiar it SHOULD be easier.  You should only have to go and do the MNP form. Then wait for the message to submit your passport number by SMS.  Than call another number and submit that PIN to your new provider.  Then just wait for the activation. Shouldn't need to do anything else or go anywhere else.  And the whole process SHOULD take just 2 days.

My problems were that I got caught in the middle of the old and new system, got incorrect information from True staff about the final bill AND I started this process before the final bill had been produced and settled with True which will add 7 days to the process!!!  I'm not sure if the wait time following closing a post paid contract with AIS is the same or not.  

Several times I was in the shop I heard folks there say "We're leaving for x country today / tomorrow so I need to close my wife's / my contract".  Poor planning to try that IMO, I'd rather do it 10 days before and get a pre-pay for the last week here, IF relocating.  But maybe they were luckier and AIS can produce the final bill on the day you cancel.

I'm now back waiting again with having had a message last night from AIS saying it's waiting approval 

Edited by SooKee

Aaaaarrrggggggg!!!!!!  Jeez what it is with AIS!!!!!!!!

Yesterday went to the shop as above.  About 12.30 pm.  Guy got a new PIN, did what he needed to do and told me to wait the 2 days.  4pm got the message from AIS "Your request to port your mobile number to AIS is currently under approval process. Please wait for confirmation SMS to join the quality network of AIS soon. "  Well, I sure hope the quality of their network is better than the quality of their abysmal number porting system!!!!

Then nothing more.  Normally I wouldn't bother as they did say need to wait 2 days but, given the grief I've had with this, I contacted the AIS Call Centre today at about 11:00 am by email asking for an update.  Result: Told me the process got cancelled and can I get a new port PIN and go to an AIS shop again!!!! You cannot be serious!!!!

In all honesty it'd gone waaaaay beyond had enough now.  I tried to port the number instead of having to change my number everywhere that has it.  Seriously, changing the number at banks, services and whatever would have been FAR FAR easier and I could have done it on the day, 13 days ago.  Never f NEVER again!!!!!

Unwilling to waste yet more time on fruitless trip to the AIS shop I called the Call Centre and spoke to a guy called Thomas at the Call Centre at about 2pm.  He called me back after I'd obtained YET ANOTHER PIN and promised to track the process from start to finish and this it would take 2 days :post-4641-1156693976:  Clearly, given that's what they said at the shop yesterday I have little faith. I also asked why did the most recent process get cancelled after I received the please wait (but then sod all else) SMS from AIS yesterday?  He said he'd asked the team responsible to look into it as it shouldn't happen and would call me with an update.  To right it shouldn't, absolute bloody fiasco.

We'll see what happens.  Having gone through all this crap I'll stick with the porting but SERIOUSLY, had I know it was going to end up being this much hassle and with this much wasted time I sure as hell wouldn't have bothered.  I was tempted to complain to the NBTC but I've expended so much time on this I'm not sure I can be bothered writing the whole bloody saga out.  And to what end?  I seriously doubt anyone will give a 5hit.  Something is seriously up with AIS though and I'm not sure whether it's certain staff or the system that's totally incompetent or a mix of both!  Worse than useless.

Edited by SooKee

OK. F*#% it!!!  I give up.  STILL no joy today and this afternoon Thomas called me back from the AIS Call Centre told me that True had cancelled the PIN for porting.  

That turned out to be total BS.  Called True.  They said they have not cancelled it, cannot unless they have a legit reason and they will send a coded message (that said, they didn't last time!!!!!).  They also said however that they had not received ANY request from AIS to port the number this week at all!!!!!

So, I give up.  I don't know where the system is failing or what's going wrong, worse still, I can't find anyone in AIS who seems to know what they're doing or how to get it actioned right.  Total and utter shambles.  I have a sneaking suspicion that AIS need to cancel everything and do a new MNP form but trying to explain that to staff in the shop is like banging your head up a wall.

I have three final options now.  Go to another AIS shop, try from scratch with a new form and see if that works; OR tell AIS to just give me a new number (no matter how much time I'd have to pi55 about updating banks etc with the new number it would be nothing compared to the HOURS I've poured down the drain on this); or go to DTAC and shove AIS.  Trouble is I'm not SURE the fault is with AIS.  I am sure that nobody at AIS I've dealt with up to now has the foggiest idea of what to do about it.  Just wash, rinse, repeat and see if that works.  Of course it doesn't.  Clueless, totally f clueless!!!!

I might just try another AIS branch tomorrow and see if that works if not, I'll get a new number.  Seriously had this up to the f eyeballs!!!!

And it having turned into to this complete shambles I tried to call the NBTC today.  After navigating the seemingly endless IVR system (a system which is ONLY available in Thai), got a ring tone as I waited for an operator and the line promptly got disconnected.  So fat lot of f use they are.  More 'declaration policy' that's markedly different from 'action policy'.  IT at it's best in the land of aspirations!!

Edited by SooKee

On 1/26/2017 at 7:09 AM, SooKee said:

While I ain't a happy camper by any means but I think once the system is up and fully working and once all staff are familiar it SHOULD be easier.  You should only have to go and do the MNP form. Then wait for the message to submit your passport number by SMS.  Than call another number and submit that PIN to your new provider.  Then just wait for the activation. Shouldn't need to do anything else or go anywhere else.  And the whole process SHOULD take just 2 days.

The old, original system was:

1. Go to the new carrier and complete the MNP form, give them copy of your passport, get their SIM
  2. Wait for connection on old carrier to disconnect (2-3 days)
  3. Swap SIMs

I did that from DTAC to True and it worked as advertised, first attempt!

When I MNP'd from True to AIS last year, it was halfway between that and what you are now going through.  In my situation, all the problems did originate from the True side.  I forget how many MNP forms I signed at AIS.  I think it was four or five.

During the MNP attempts, True erased all my settings in their system.  I had to go to their office to re-initiate the ability to make overseas calls, use their app, etc.  And, for each new MNP form that I submitted I got calls or SMS's asking to stay with True if they lower the price on my package for six months.  As if ... !

Yeah. That's the system I originally used when I moved from AIS to True. I wouldn't have bothered moving this time except the deal at AIS is very good, the True network isn't that hot here in BKK and they will also give me another 10% off my internet. DTAC look to have some good deals at the moment too but I'm just averse to going with DTAC for some reason.  The True packages are way overpriced by comparison.

It's a mess at the moment for sure. I can't help thinking that this time is because the AIS staff haven't cancelled / deleted everything and started afresh with a new form. Only reason I think that might work is because that's when it came closest to working last time. I might try going to another AIS store and starting everything over. Tell them I've lost the paperwork and just start a new process. If that don't work in the 2 days I'll just get a new number. Having messed about and wasted crazy amounts of time on this I'll give it another two days to see if I can get it to work rather than waste yet more time changing amending phone numbers!!

What's equally frustrating is that these companies can talk to each other to sort the mess out.  Typical work ethic here I find, turn up for work, do as little as possible, don't use any initiative, don't care about doing a good job and don't take responsibility for anything.  Meanwhile I'm stuck in the middle calling both companies then going through a f pantomime with the "he said / she said routine".  Better if they sort it out between themselves.  

Sadly I find its typical of much of the service here, always exceptions of course but generally I find it's crap.  I always smile when folks say service is great here, so polite and friendly.  I find what they do well is 'servile', not 'service'.  Plenty of waais and kop khun ka when things are going well but totally useless when something is not right or not working, incapable of dealing with it many cases.  Tell them the food is great in a restaurant, smiles and kop khun ka.  Tell them the food's crap and it's blank look, half-baked smile and walk-off (with that "I really don't want to be here right now look).  

Posted using Tapatalk

Edited by SooKee

You'd almost be better off getting a new number and then forwarding your old number (after transitioning the old number to prepaid) to the new number' very easy to do BTW.

Then just transition contacts to the new number.

But thanks for sticking to this and helping pave the way for others.

55555  Dead right. 

I finally went to another AIS shop today.  Made like it was a first application.  Told them that their call centre had told me to tell them to delete EVERYTHING and start again.  That's what they did.  So I'll wait the two working days to see what messages I get and see if it comes across OK.  If not, I'm gonna give up and open a new number.  I'm kinda reconciled to the fact I need a new number so it'll be a pleasant surprise.  I'm sure it shouldn't normally be this much grief, I've just been unlucky and it seems that since I have an application in the system it just keeps looping round.  I just hope the start afresh works. We'll see LOL.  Seriously though, no way would I have tried to port had I known.  It's only really the banks I need to go and change.  Not bothered about anything else.  Just thought it'd be easier to port :sad:

Ta -daaaaaaaaa!!!!!  SUCCESS!!!  After 21 days and 6-7 attempts I FINALLY managed to get the number ported over.

As I suspected, it seems that cancelling the whole process and starting afresh was all that was needed in order to clear the system and get the process instigated again, rather than staff constantly requesting new PINs under the same application only to have them fail and get rejected EACH AND EVERY bleedin’ time. One of (the many many!!) things that annoyed me with this complete shambles was that none of the staff at either the first shop or the call centre came up with that solution. I had to. Even then it was far harder than it needed to be to get someone to do it.  That was easier said than done.  At the first shop there was one member of staff who seemed to be a supervisor who constantly poked an oar in the water whenever I was dealing with a desk officer (the same staff member who stared cluelessly at the messages from both AIS and True on my phone screen when I first went to the shop), telling other staff they don’t need to start a fresh process.  So much so that I ended up going to another shop just to carve that drone out of the loop.  That person seriously started to pi55 me off.  You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure that if a process is going round in circles, failing every time, binning everything and starting again has to be a good shot.  But no, customer has to come up with the solution and battle to get it implemented.

The new shop I went to obligingly did all that was asked.  Actually the staff there were very professional and seemed much more understanding and switched on.  Started afresh and said wait two days (excluding the weekend), and they said Tuesday. 

Tuesday came and went, nothing.  Not even a message from AIS saying awaiting approval.  Mailed AIS Tuesday night, they replied “we’ll let you know”.   Wednesday, same thing.  Mailed with a more insistent message.  AIS replied that it’s currently awaiting approval at True and said that this was outside the normal timescale at which point I nearly grabbed my shoes to go the shop and get a new number!!  This was about 2:30pm.

Called the True help centre about 3:30 pm.  Operator there was very friendly and helpful.  Checked with the team while I waited.  “It’s being processed - it’ll be complete tomorrow”.  When I asked why it was taking so long she said it’s because Monday and maybe even Tuesday were holidays!!!  Just observed AFAIK but it seems certain links in this chain observe it more strictly!!!  I’m not even sure how many links there are.  AIS and True only or NBTC too.

Coincidentally, at 4pm after coming off the phone I got the “Your request to port number is currently awaiting approval” from AIS.  Then at 7pm “currently awaiting approval by current provider”.

At 7 pm on Thursday I received the message from AIS saying your port has been approved and will activate between 4-7am tomorrow and to have the AIS SIM inserted and ready. So it's not within 2 days it seems. Hard to figure as it's not clear exactly what effect the CNY holiday had. But I went to the AIS shop on Saturday Saturday 29

FINALLY, after what seems an AGE it went live today, Friday 3 Feb!!!!  I was awake and checked and at about 6am and 6:45 - no service.  I then powered the phone off and on again (which at times I find more effective than switching Airplane mode off and on) to try and force the SIM to register on the network.  Now either this worked or it may just have been a coincidence with AIS’s timing but after the reboot I got the AIS service :)

I only put up with all this since I had wasted SOOOOO many small packets of days as a result of botched applications, incorrect information and of course weekends and holidays that I didn’t fancy adding on to that the need to change my numbers everywhere else as well.  As I said before, had I known I was gonna get this grief I would have got a new number and finished all I needed to do 18 days ago!!!  Some of the wasted time was down to me having a bill to pay with True but only because of inaccurate information from True as to how long I'd need to wait for that bill and being told twice (14th and 20th) that there was nothing to pay!!

So, in light of my experience with the new, ‘more efficient - faster’ system (and the newness I think is also partly to blame), my advice is pretty much as I posted above:

1. If you are on a post paid contract with your current provider, cancel it, keep your number and convert to post paid with the that provider.  Don’t forget to top up with enough for any data and calls. I initially did a 7 day data pack at 99 baht thinking it’d be enough! Wrong.
  2. Check that ALL your details are EXACTLY correct at both the current and (when you go) new provider.  Ask for a system screen print from the current provider. Name (including whether lower / upper case), passport / ID number and date of birth are CRITICAL to have right on both systems.
  3. Before you start the port process wait until you have received and paid your last bill from the current provider.  I’d even give it a couple of days to filter back up the company tree.  Get a receipt!!  Getting that last bill might be instant or, in the case of True, takes 7 days after converting!!!  7 days!!!!  YMMV.
  4. Go to the new provider and start the port process.  Check their system screen re your details YOURSELF.  Staff managed to botch two things for me despite having details to copy from.  Address and date of birth!!!
  5. Make sure you get a new SIM from your new provider to save having to go back to the shop for it when (IF EVER!!) you get a “Please insert your new SIM” message.
  6. Remember to ask them for their default SIM lock code as you’ll need it to set a new SIM lock (something I always do - if I lose my phone, it’s locked and useless.  But without a SIM lock someone can stick your SIM in another phone and bingo - you’ll then be arguing the toss to get the charges against you cancelled.  Set a SIM unlock PIN code and every time your phone powers off or the SIM is inserted in another phone it can’t be used without the SIM code.  But you will need the service operator’s default lock code to set a new one - usually “0000” or “1234” etc.)
  7. Note that the 2 days they tell you it will take are working days so exclude weekends and any hint of a public holiday.  Even then, the impression I get is that it’s three days. Two working days to DO the process with it going live on the 3rd IF your’e lucky.
  8. If it goes wrong and you have to correct anything, make sure ANY current porting application process is cancelled and start again from scratch.  Even if it means going to a different shop!!

Good luck!!!  One thing’s for sure.  I will NEVER port again!!!

Edited by SooKee