May and Leadsom go head to head for leadership of British Conservatives

rooster59

May and Leadsom go head to head for leadership of British Conservatives

By Robert Hackwill

post-247607-0-75337100-1468019628_thumb.

The Conservative parliamentary party has whittled down the leadership contenders to just two. Now their official campaign begins as they look to convince the 150,000 Tory party members around the country.

Whoever wins, the party will have a new female leader, and the country will have its second woman prime minister.

“And I was really pleased yesterday with the level of support I got from my parliamentary colleagues and support from colleagues from both sides of the party, right and left, from Remainers and Leavers and from all parts of the country. And I’m going out now to the country to the vote of the membership, to put my case forward for proven leadership to get the best deal out of Brexit, to unite the party and the country and crucially to make Britain a country that works for everyone,” said frontrunner Theresa May.

While Interior Minister Theresa May is the hot favourite Andrea Leadsom, a Brexiteer, hopes to capitalise on the current mood and will attack May on her record on immigration, which her critics say has been too welcoming.

“I think there’s a huge job to be done to try to unify the country. I mean it’s been a very turbulent time. I think a lot of people are quite concerned and we really do need to provide reassurance but at the same time get a grip on the big opportunities that lie ahead so yes, it’s certainly my aim and my intention to do exactly that,” she said.

However Leadsom is under fire for certain policy statements made since Brexit that one Tory grandee called “stupid”, and concerns she may have been less than truthful with her CV.

This has been seized on by some online wags:

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-09

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant understand why no males are in the race, PC politicians are these women really the best Britain has.

Well, be careful my friend we are not asking them to carry heavy groceries are we. They are both obviously smart cookies, so being women has nothing to do with it.

The other point about is this the best Britain has, probably not. The problem right now is that the country is turmoil. It has voted to exit Europe and even the pro Brexit campaign leaders have jumped ship, to put it simply it's going to be a very hard job and potentially political suicide. Who wants to take that on?

I wouldn't want to sit in Europe and talk to those EU muppets trying to forge a sensible deal for trading in the free market.

But then again if Britain wants to trade in the EU then it has to accept the basic 4 F's, there will be no compromise on that. So, if the answer to the question is yes they want to stay in well perhaps its not so difficult after all,,, could be as simple as "yes we want in, yes we accept the basic 4, where do we sign",, job done. Hooorah, back to tea, biscuits and the Times.coffee1.gif

I cant understand why no males are in the race, PC politicians are these women really the best Britain has.

I can't understand why some people are too lazy to follow the news. There were a number of males in the race and they either got knocked out, dropped out or ran away.

I can't understand why some people are too lazy to follow the news. There were a number of males in the race and they either got knocked out, dropped out or ran away.

Do like the "ran away". British fortitude seems to have disappeared with the empire. Hide behind a skirt has taken over. Where is the stiff upper lip?

Do like the "ran away". British fortitude seems to have disappeared with the empire. Hide behind a skirt has taken over. Where is the stiff upper lip?

Nobody is hiding behind anybody's skirt. Your historical knowledge also seems to be somewhat lacking in the throwaway comments.

Nobody is hiding behind anybody's skirt. Your historical knowledge also seems to be somewhat lacking in the throwaway comments.

Can't take a joke? Bad one possibly. Lighten up.

Latest news...

Hand bags are out. giggle.gif

Andrea Leadsom says she is "disgusted" after a newspaper said she suggested being a mother gave her an advantage over Tory leadership rival Theresa May.

The Times quoted Mrs Leadsom as saying having children gives "a very real stake in the future of our country".

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36752865

They very thought of Theresa having a daughter named after the last British Female PM, (but she may have been happy to have the same name as a Rod Stewart hit, but not so happy that the real Maggie May was a Liverpool prostitute.).cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

May seems much better than Leadsom from the little I know. Good luck, UK.

Look forward to when the two ladies meet as national leaders, Hillary Clinton and May. thumbsup.gif

Your posts are always a joy, thank you.

So anyway, either of the two represents a shift to the right compared to Cameron, correct?

With Leadsom being more right wing than May, correct?

The British right, non of your bible thumping, gun toting, red neck American right.

So anyway, either of the two represents a shift to the right compared to Cameron, correct?

The British right, non of your bible thumping, gun toting, red neck American right.

Yes, I understand different, not as bad, but still bad.

I thought Thatcher was horrible, so you know where I'm coming from.

Edited by Jingthing

You may be right, then again you may be wrong. Right, left, who knows. No referendum for the new leader. Why not? No one voted for either. Democracies little foibles.

But our left wing commit British troops to illegal wars and open the country to untold immigration. So you know where I am coming from.

You may be right, then again you may be wrong. Right, left, who knows. No referendum for the new leader. Why not? No one voted for either. Democracies little foibles.

Each of the two candidates were voted for to get to be MP's,

The new PM will be voted into the Prime ministers job by the party membership, so the new PM will have been voted for twice

The new PM will be voted into the Prime ministers job by the party membership, so the new PM will have been voted for twice

By the electorate? No. Why bother with the Brexit referendum? GE before Christmas is coming if the "people" matter.

Not without accident are the Tories refereed to as "the part of self interest".

As for May, she has been totally incompetent in running the departments under her for the last 6 years particularly Immigration and the Passport Office but IMHO she is the better of the two evils being a better person to negotiate with Europe.

Not without accident are the Tories refereed to as "the part of self interest".

As for May, she has been totally incompetent in running the departments under her for the last 6 years particularly Immigration and the Passport Office but IMHO she is the better of the two evils being a better person to negotiate with Europe.

Labour has no self interest? They put on a good show but are still at the trough. You have to accept modern democracy for what it is. Beneficial? Better than alternatives. As a cynic hope Trump gets elected to show the world how wrong democracy can go.

Look forward to when the two ladies meet as national leaders, Hillary Clinton and May. thumbsup.gif

Throw in Mutti Merkel and you've got a good trio that could audition for MacBeth,

Dreadful to think of the potential that the West's 3 main countries could be in the hands of a dubious Wall street puppet, a former communist youth leader associated with a notorious state secret police service and a CoE vicar's daughter whose known to favor laws and rules that based on wealth "qualifications" and has been described as Thatcher without the humanity.

Well, that democracy for you, or what passes for democracy these days; and the lack of moral, ethical, or professional standards that once were demanded of political figures.

Throw in Mutti Merkel and you've got a good trio that could audition for MacBeth,

Dreadful to think of the potential that the West's 3 main countries could be in the hands of a dubious Wall street puppet, a former communist youth leader associated with a notorious state secret police service and a CoE vicar's daughter whose known to favor laws and rules that based on wealth "qualifications" and has been described as Thatcher without the humanity.

Well, that democracy for you, or what passes for democracy these days; and the lack of moral, ethical, or professional standards that once were demanded of political figures.

Can you narrow down who is who please? No wish for you to incriminate yourself.

By the electorate? No. Why bother with the Brexit referendum? GE before Christmas is coming if the "people" matter.

We have a British system not an American one,

I don't see an GE anytime soon, we have enough instability as the current PM has showed his lack of statesmanship.

I don't see an GE anytime soon, we have enough instability as the current PM has showed his lack of statesmanship.

There isn't a PM at the moment. A caretaker is in charge. What has America got to do with it?

There isn't a PM at the moment. A caretaker is in charge. What has America got to do with it?

Of course we have a PM until Cameron goes to see the Queen, Cameron remains PM and his government continues. Once the Tory party have finished their deliberations Cameron will then go to the Palace and the Queen will have been advised who to call for. Its a very rapid process as many a PM has discovered there is no transition team, as Cameron departs his successor is on her way in through the door of No 10 within hours.

We do not vote for anyone to be PM. Like every other member of parliament (Commons) Cameron is elected as an MP just like every other MP. He is also elected by his party to lead them and if he wins a general election sufficient to command a majority in the Commons then the Queen will appoint him PM. We have never elected PMs just like we never elect the executive branch, that jobs falls to the PM.