Any Topless Beaches In Koh Samui

sohail

We r coming to Koh Samui. Are there any topless beaches in Koh Samui or Koh Phangan. I mean not officially, but is it OK to b topless.

Also, can anyone recommend hotels where toplessness is common. I have heard that Rocky resorts is the place for us.

Will appreciate any comments / guidance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean not officially, but is it OK to b topless.

No, it is not OK to go topless.

Why would you want to go topless anyway? Are you a nudist? Can't you find a nudist colony to go to?

More to the point is the fact that Thais are very conservative, especially when it comes to this aspect. You will see that most Thais swim in the ocean wearing all their street clothes. Sure, some culturally insensitive gals bathe and sun themselves without tops here, and the Thais look the other way, but that doesn't absolve those foreigners of their insulting behavior, nor does it mean that this behavior is acceptable in Samui because the tourists have usurped the local social mores.

A man wouldn't go without trunks on a stroll around Brighton Beach with his pecker on display simply because he can do it in his own country, would he? So why in the hel_l would you think you can do such a thing here when it comes to exposing the private parts of a woman?

I mean not officially, but is it OK to b topless.

No, it is not OK to go topless.

Why would you want to go topless anyway? Are you a nudist? Can't you find a nudist colony to go to?

More to the point is the fact that Thais are very conservative, especially when it comes to this aspect. You will see that most Thais swim in the ocean wearing all their street clothes. Sure, some culturally insensitive gals bathe and sun themselves without tops here, and the Thais look the other way, but that doesn't absolve those foreigners of their insulting behavior, nor does it mean that this behavior is acceptable in Samui because the tourists have usurped the local social mores.

A man wouldn't go without trunks on a stroll around Brighton Beach with his pecker on display simply because he can do it in his own country, would he? So why in the hel_l would you think you can do such a thing here when it comes to exposing the private parts of a woman?

This guy sounds like a bundle of laffs.

Tits oot !

Strange in Thailand that magazines show pictures of horrible burned-up roadkill corpses, but a great set of gozabas is considered to be depraved and corrupting society.

It seems to me to be slightly contradictory that 'sensitive Thai' Ladyboys with huge tits play volleyball on Chaweng Beach topless with pride , I wonder if this offends the Thai people that incidentally are actually renowned for their tolerance rather than their prudishness (if things like the commonly accepted ladyboy culture,for example, in Thailand requires tolerance ).

Thai people are also highly motivated by money and I am sure any poll amongst Thai people that will be found on Chaweng Beach and the other big beaches, asking whether they would like another 50 topless farangs to massage or not, would be a no brainer.

The sensible answer to your question in my opinion would be, no problem to lay in your deck chair or sunbed topless and sunbathe, but in respect to the local environment that theoretically does have a problem with toplessness it may be polite not to go walking up and down the beach, but plenty of people do, including people of Thai nationality. :o

A little strong Mark but I agree. Why upset the sensitivites of the local people.

Suggest they go to Benidorm or Ibiza. OR read up on Thai culture and customs. :o:D

Got to disagree here, Chaweng Beach in high season is closer to the beaches of Benidorm and Ibiza than the Thailand tropical ideal.

Lots of girls both young and old sunbathing toppless with the resorts playing loud music from speakers on the beach.

sensitive local people, on chaweng beach ? Not seen too many of those.

If you go away from chaweng and find a more quiet beach, this would be the time to keep your top on as these beaches are often used by Thai families who would take offence.

And please cover up in the restaurants and reception, that good manners in any country :D

Generally on the beach whilst laying down on the sand or lounger or sitting ont he beach is fine. If going to the bar or back to your room, def cover up but as others have said, this is a tourist hot spot & the thais working the resorts are used to the different habits of farang. Out on the street or anywhere away from the beach then erring on the side of conservatism would be considered poilite. But again, this is a tourist island so no need to wear a full lenght burkha or anything. Tshirt & shorts are fine. :o

I just asked the mrs............

According to her it doesn't matter what beach or where you are, in her opinion girls should not go top less anywhere. It is against Thai culture and even on chaweng beach the best possible situation is that it is tolerated.

They do not like it.

They will put up with it beacause they are to polite to say anything, but mostly because you are spending $ here.

When you spend $ some things can be overlooked in Thailand.

It doesn't matter tho how you look at this...........

it's not about being a spoilsport.

If you go topless in Thailand , you are doing something that is deeply offensive to the culture.

In resorts they put up with it as they have seen it so much they are desensitized.

That does not mean it's ok.

So............

Unless you are a complete ###### do not go topless please

If you go topless in Thailand , you are doing something that is deeply offensive to the culture.

If its so foul why is it quietly tolerated in Soi Cowboy?

Annnnnd. You say 'culture', but about a hundred years ago, they had them out all the time. So its a recent innovation then?

Not offended enough to shut Patpong or Nana , owned run and staffed by Thais.

Thailand and Thai's are no less 2 faced than the rest of the world when it comes to public face and private actions.

The OP wanted to know if she would cause real offence , and she won't.

If its so foul why is it quietly tolerated in Soi Cowboy?

Annnnnd. You say 'culture', but about a hundred years ago, they had them out all the time. So its a recent innovation then?

Ok look I could really rip into you here but I won't.

Let me just say Soi Cowboy is slightly different to the rest of Thailand.

and.........

100 years ago it was legal to shoot red indians in USA.

By the way 100 years ago you would have been lynched for going topless.

try 200 years!

I really think there is no other way of putting this.......

Yes you can go topless in Thailand, and most probobally no one will say anything.

but.............

They will think you are rude and culturaly insensitive.

That will really endear you with the locals!

Edited by womble

So the Thai guys marketing deckchairs don't like titty !? They frown on the bouncing boobies because of culture?

Whom are these people who are so offended culturally? Show me one male Thai who wouldn't love viewing western bosoms if he could !!!!!! (putting his head betwixt them too if possible)

Just one will do !

"Its kutcha innit?" .....bah !

Edited by Barney_the_Dinosaur

we r no closer to a reply. so many different opinions. now, we r really confused. ok, is it ok for my wife to wear a thong. no toplessness. i mean we just luv to b a bit nud_e outside our hotel room. hope we get a YES or NO this time, so we can decide.

sohail, I think there were answers, but you probably got lost in all the diatribe :o

If you want to be culturally sensitive then no, topless is not ok, thong is not ok.

If you want to be only mildly culturally insensitive then topless or thong is ok while you are sunbathing but then cover up as soon you as you stand up.

If you want to be culturally insensitive then go topless or wear a thong in public and walk down the street that way. Plenty of people do and the Thai people will not say anything but will think "what a rude foreigner".

So, up to you how you want behave in Thailand.

But, one thing to think about, how do you feel when a tourist comes to your country and behaves in a completely insensitive way towards your culture?

reading all the replies, i feel it is ok to go topless etc. in your resort as that will be frequented by farangs mostly. public beaches / places is a strict NO NO. i think then we will not b hurting anyone's sentiments.

Just remember, Thai people work in those resorts.

If it were me, and going topless were necessary, then I would only do so while sunbathing. Walking around topless, even in a resort, is not acceptable by Thai standards. Again, they won't say anything but will most definitely think it.

IMHO

"When in rome do as romans do"

I certainly do not see any Thai ladies going topless on the beaches here.

I think most Thais (even if they work in a resort where this behaviour is common place) will find it offensive, but certainly wont say anything.

From a different perspective.

I think having white bits look far sexier than an all over tan.

Enjoy your stay

MM

Edited by mosquitoman

reading all the replies, i feel it is ok to go topless etc. in your resort as that will be frequented by farangs mostly. public beaches / places is a strict NO NO. i think then we will not b hurting anyone's sentiments.

If it were me, and going topless were necessary, then I would only do so while sunbathing. Walking around topless, even in a resort, is not acceptable by Thai standards. Again, they won't say anything but will most definitely think it.

100% Correct. They can do whatever they want and the Thais will say nothing. But they will be thinking

You are the biggest slag in the world. Do you really want your hosts to think that about you?

And the male Thais think like this as well.

100% Correct. They can do whatever they want and the Thais will say nothing. But they will be thinking

You are the biggest slag in the world. Do you really want your hosts to think that about you?

And the male Thais think like this as well.

Lite beer you are of the road now............I dont know what you prefer..........but a man is a man , and I dont give a sh..t about colors, nationalyties etc......***edited for offensive content***

Sit in a resort and observe the thaimen, waiter,gardner or what ever.......they continue to circle around if someone shows their business..........

I know its wrong culturally to do so in Thailand, but this is Samui and foreigners have done it for too many years , that nobody gives a sh.t !

To the who asked his thai wife...................HMMM Thailady's doesnt like farang women show their Boobs , because its compatition........that's it...........

When a couple or a group of farang chicks, go dancing.......TG hates it because its compatition ,,,thats it......... :o

****edited by sbk--please don't post when you are drunk, thanks***

Here's my theory...

We've got an OP who's single, and alone, behind a PC in a darkened room.

He may or may not be coming to thailand, me thinks he is.

I think it's also his first trip to LOS, possibly his first out of his country.

He asked in another thread about places to go dancing, but "not for him" for his supposed wife, to go alone, or accompanied by some strangers man.

Ergo, he has no wife.

He wants to know where to go bathing topless.

As he has no wife, I can only assume he means to perv.

'mate', you can do this in the UK, in Holland, in Germany, in Spain, France, Belgium and Portugal.

Or, just stick to your PC screen and don't let it get to sticky, you might miss a nipple here or there.

Don't bother Thailand.

Good bye.

Just incase I'm wrong, or, even if I am right,

Have Fun!

Edited by kayo

Sunbath go right ahead, but have a bit respect and cover up once you are standing up.

Im confused Brit, you're in Pattaya, this is Samui, and to you and others some years back I had a Thai GF that took off here top and went swimming, but was very self-countious when getting out of the water and asked me

to give her a towel, since there were 5 brits staring at her.

This proves that some Thais will go topless