ID card for foreigners in Ubon

Michael Hare

My German friend who is retired in Ubon, obtained his ID card from the Ubon City council last week. It is a pink card and is for whole-of-life. No expiry date. It shows one’s ID number on the top (same number as in one's house registration book).

He said it took about one hour to process from start to finish.

I have had my pink ID card for four years now. Obtained from the same office.

I find it extremely useful. I show it at the airport, when checking into hotels, doing business at the bank and wherever ID is required. My passport stays at home in the safe. It is so convenient as it just slips into one’s wallet. I recommend anyone who wants one, to pop along to the Ubon city council.

I got the yellow book a few years back. I got the pink ID card last week. At amphoe mueang Ubon (or tesaban for people in tambon nai mueang), all that was required was 1 copy of my passport, 1 copy of my yellow book, 60b for the card and 10b for a cute little matching pink case. haha. I have no clue what the point of it is, but I figure it can't hurt to be slightly more legitimate. Also, all my Thai friends are jealous that my card is pink.

I did the same office 2 weeks ago and yes only PP and yellow book with copy of both. The pic on ID was taken by them,and 60 bt for them,but being a big tipper I gave 100bt (biggrin.png ) and we had a nice chat with the friendly Lady behind the desk. We went in the morning and was asked to come back around 4 pm to pick up card..Ended a nice experience. I love Udon even Immigration--------- Dougal

Above posts done in this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/923278-yellow-house-book-and-thai-id-card/#entry10834567

My problem has been getting a yellow book from the Trakan Amphoe always got the run around so just gave up.

Some interesting info and the link from Ubonjoe.

I have been reading about this now and read conflicting stories of what is needed. Do you remember what you brought to the Ubon City Council to get the card or your friend who did it recently?

And from reading the posts it only gives some minor advantages over a Thai Drivers license, but the no expiry date is a nice perk to have.

I'll be looking into getting the card later on this month.

Good info; thanks.

Which building is the "Ubon City Council", the one out of town a couple of kilos on the Chaeng Sanit Road???

Ubon City Council or City Hall is the Theesabaan across from Thung Sri Mueang.

Behind Unubaan Primary school in the centre of town, a few metres from the main Fire Station and the main Post Office.

Good info; thanks.

Which building is the "Ubon City Council", the one out of town a couple of kilos on the Chaeng Sanit Road???

Behind Unubaan Primary school in the centre of town, a few metres from the main Fire Station and the main Post Office.

I guess this ID card is a catch 22 package, today I went to the Theesabaan Office in Ubon. if I am correct its on the ground floor and on the right hand side at the entrance.

My wife asked the guy who deals with the ID cards and he told her there is no ID cards available for non Thai ?

Good info; thanks.

I guess this ID card is a catch 22 package, today I went to the Theesabaan Office in Ubon. if I am correct its on the ground floor and on the right hand side at the entrance.

My wife asked the guy who deals with the ID cards and he told her there is no ID cards available for non Thai ?

The guy who told you this information is wrong. It could be a mistake in terminology. Thai nationals have a Thai National ID Card (but prajum dua national). What you are asking for is an ID card for persons who have no right to Thai nationality (but prajum duya for those who have no right to thai nationality). It is completely different.

It is pink.

The problem with the Theesabaan is that many people who work there are incompetent and often dumb. They didn’t get their job on merit. Many are just plain slack and lazy.

If you really want one then try again, but this time go in with the pink card information. You will have to have your passport and yellow book house registration. If again, you get turned down, ask to see the boss and just sit. I know this. Because it happened to me when I first asked for my ID card five years ago.

I waited one year, had more information and in I went. Again I was informed that there was no such thing as an ID card for non-Thais. I pulled out three pages of information all in Thai that gave the guidelines for issuing non-Thais with an ID card. This was passed from desk to desk and finally I was processed. I was informed not to contact them but they would contact me when the card arrived. I waited four months, no contact, and went in again. They expressed surprise that the card had not come and told me to wait for a few more days. And indeed it did arrive.

Nowadays, the pink ID card is processed on site in the Theesabaan, just like a Thai national ID card.

I had the same when acquiring my Yellow Book a few years ago. Some short dumpy individual at Warin Amphur (opposite Baan Dek School) said categorically that Foreigners are not entitled to said document. On the way out of the building one of her underlings quietly suggested to us that we try the Saen Suk Tessabaan (behind Charoen Sri Market), which we did and they willingly obliged.

Lesson learnt; never give up at the first denial!!!

Another beautiful day in Ubon today; Life is Good!!

Good info; thanks.

The guy who told you this information is wrong. It could be a mistake in terminology. Thai nationals have a Thai National ID Card (but prajum dua national). What you are asking for is an ID card for persons who have no right to Thai nationality (but prajum duya for those who have no right to thai nationality). It is completely different.

It is pink.

The problem with the Theesabaan is that many people who work there are incompetent and often dumb. They didn’t get their job on merit. Many are just plain slack and lazy.

If you really want one then try again, but this time go in with the pink card information. You will have to have your passport and yellow book house registration. If again, you get turned down, ask to see the boss and just sit. I know this. Because it happened to me when I first asked for my ID card five years ago.

I waited one year, had more information and in I went. Again I was informed that there was no such thing as an ID card for non-Thais. I pulled out three pages of information all in Thai that gave the guidelines for issuing non-Thais with an ID card. This was passed from desk to desk and finally I was processed. I was informed not to contact them but they would contact me when the card arrived. I waited four months, no contact, and went in again. They expressed surprise that the card had not come and told me to wait for a few more days. And indeed it did arrive.

Nowadays, the pink ID card is processed on site in the Theesabaan, just like a Thai national ID card.

You mention go in with the pink card information, can I download this information you mentioned.

At the department whare these cards are issued everyone goes to the same desk show there documents and then he sends you to another table to process.

My wife handed him my passport and yellow book and told him I wanted a pink ID card for non Thai, my wife's English is very good so there was no issue what I explained to her as per the info I checked here on the Forum.

His answer straight away was only Thai can obtain an id card

If there is anyone here on the forum who has the pink ID card can they provide a picture to verify.

Some interesting info and the link from Ubonjoe.

I have been reading about this now and read conflicting stories of what is needed. Do you remember what you brought to the Ubon City Council to get the card or your friend who did it recently?

And from reading the posts it only gives some minor advantages over a Thai Drivers license, but the no expiry date is a nice perk to have.

I'll be looking into getting the card later on this month.

Please share your response when you make the visit.

Will do. My dad just got his...in Surin though. I will use that as an example if they say "can not". Once ( if ) I have mine I'll share it here.

One thing I am worried about is my yellow book...my yellow book has a Surin address, not an Ubon address.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully I'll get to this next week.

Will do. My dad just got his...in Surin though. I will use that as an example if they say "can not". Once ( if ) I have mine I'll share it here.

One thing I am worried about is my yellow book...my yellow book has a Surin address, not an Ubon address.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully I'll get to this next week.

NP - Don't wish to put the mockers on you mate, or drive you to drink, but I fear you may be out of luck.

If so, however, you can arrange to have your name transferred to an Ubon book.

Good luck - and if you are successful, please tell us which desk to visit!

Recently tried to use my new Thai ID card (being a permanent resident) for identification at the Hang Dong branch of Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai and was told they couldn't accept it. They needed my passport. A week earlier another teller had accepted it but I was later informed that was a mistake. Comments?

I use my driver's license as I.D. Always have and always will.

Only time my passport comes out is to go see my friends (?) at immigration.

What do you do when the bank tells you they want to see your passport? Maybe even to make sure you have a visa to stay here ( or open an account )?

Question --- I live in Jomtien Beach, Can I get one of these ID cards at the Pattaya City Hall? Somewhere in Jomtien?

You would get it at the same place you got your yellow house book which is one of the requirements to get the ID card.

I live in Khon Kaen,in a village near Nam Phong.I am legally married to a Thai national.It is her house.The Tessabaan is just around the corner on the high road.Because its not my house am i not qualified to apply for the card.I am registered there and have been there for a few years now.Will it be ok if my wife brings the book for the house.

Thanx in advance.

You can get a yellow book no farang can own a house anyway. Pop in I got mine in Amphoe in KK center. Normal copy of everything including your wife's blue book and ID card. That Amphoe also require head man to say you live in village. Then you get an ID card once you have yellow book

I have had a pink ID card since 2012, issued by Pakkret tessabaan, I didn't know I was allowed one...went to get my name put on the tabien baan after getting PR. They took my picture and said come back in a month for your pink ID card!

post-15571-0-13003800-1469243375_thumb.j

I have had a pink ID card since 2012, issued by Pakkret tessabaan, I didn't know I was allowed one...went to get my name put on the tabien baan after getting PR. They took my picture and said come back in a month for your pink ID card!

Thanks for that copy you attached, I think for yourself this could be a different package as you have PR.

Can some of the guys who do not have PR and who have already stated they received the pink ID card with providing their passport and yellow book confirm the card in the attachment is the same as the one they have.

Thanks for that copy you attached, I think for yourself this could be a different package as you have PR.

Can some of the guys who do not have PR and who have already stated they received the pink ID card with providing their passport and yellow book confirm the card in the attachment is the same as the one they have.

Yes confirmed exactly the same just a diffrent start no

On a previous post the following was stated

My German friend who is retired in Ubon, obtained his ID card from the Ubon City council last week. It is a pink card and is for whole-of-life. No expiry date. It shows one’s ID number on the top (same number as in one's house registration book).

On the card shown by Thaiowl there is an expiry date, but this may be because he has PR

Does your card have an expiry date ?

+ 1 kalasin

It is not exactly the same.

The Thai writing (in the photo blanked out) states on a PR ID card that the person is a permanent resident as I wrote in an earlier post. This writing on an ID for those without PR will state that the person here is on a temporary stay.

Also those with PR have their ID numbers starting with 8. Those without PR start with 6.

The whole-of-life is for those over the age of 60 years. Under 60, one gets a ten year card.

For more information read this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898085-id-card-for-farangs/page-9

And if anyone at the Ubon City Council says "no can do" then show them the information in Thai which I have attached.

Good luck to all.

Information for PR ID card page 1.pdf

Information for PR ID card page 2.pdf

Information for PR ID card page 3.pdf

Information for PR ID card page 4.pdf

It is not exactly the same.

The Thai writing (in the photo blanked out) states on a PR ID card that the person is a permanent resident as I wrote in an earlier post. This writing on an ID for those without PR will state that the person here is on a temporary stay.

Also those with PR have their ID numbers starting with 8. Those without PR start with 6.

The whole-of-life is for those over the age of 60 years. Under 60, one gets a ten year card.

For more information read this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898085-id-card-for-farangs/page-9

And if anyone at the Ubon City Council says "no can do" then show them the information in Thai which I have attached.

Good luck to all.

Problem there us as stated it's about PR ID cards. Most just want temp stay show an official that and all you'll get is "you not PR no can do"

It was the same for me here in Phi Mai. At the first counter we got the information: Not possible. We ignored this, because we know this man. We walked straight on to the counter, where Thai people get their ID-Card.

It was only a little problem, because I was the first in this amphoe.

After a short time I had my card.

And I wonder! For free! It is the first time for me in Thailand, that farang get something for free, where Thai people a to pay for.

Archived