ID card for foreigners in Ubon

Michael Hare

Since getting my card, I've been testing it at various locations.

So far I've used it at 3 different hotels and 1 bank.

I used it when my wife and kids renewed their Thai passports although I was scolded by "the lady in back" about how I should carry my passport at all times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2016 at 0:39 PM, Michael Hare said:

It is not exactly the same.

The Thai writing (in the photo blanked out) states on a PR ID card that the person is a permanent resident as I wrote in an earlier post. This writing on an ID for those without PR will state that the person here is on a temporary stay.

Also those with PR have their ID numbers starting with 8. Those without PR start with 6.

The whole-of-life is for those over the age of 60 years. Under 60, one gets a ten year card.

For more information read this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898085-id-card-for-farangs/page-9

And if anyone at the Ubon City Council says "no can do" then show them the information in Thai which I have attached.

Good luck to all.

Information for PR ID card page 1.pdf

Information for PR ID card page 2.pdf

Information for PR ID card page 3.pdf

Information for PR ID card page 4.pdf

I get an error when trying to access these links.

3 hours ago, wisdomwizard said:

I get an error when trying to access these links.

Wait for awhile and try again. Since the upgrade there is complete re indexing of the forum being done. Many uploaded files have not been made available yet.

Scroll to the bottom of this post if you just want the solution and dont care what I went through :wai:

Ok, today I tried my luck with obtaining one of those ID cards. As stated previously, my yellowbook is registered to my Surin residence, though I spend most my time here in Ubon. So I was a bit worried they wouldn't issue a card based on that. I brought my yellowbook with me, but was "hiding" it. I tried my passport + Workpermit + Drivers license ( both documents have the same Ubon address ).
 I prepped my wife on what I want and that it might be difficult to obtain and to use the yellow book as last resort.

I entered the city council by the park. We walked straight to the information counter and said we wanted to get the ID card for foreigners and showed my dads Card as example. All three ladies had questions marks written all over them and shortly after pointed us to through the door on the right. We entered, and on the left hand side another lady asked what we wanted and again explained and showed a sample picture. She pointed us to the end of the room to a desk in the corner. A man in his late 40's was sitting there. Again, we explained what we wanted etc. He pulled out his book and said we needed a bunch of documents ( Residence Certificate, medical certificate, police clearance and other weird things ). It was a lot of back and forth and polite arguing with smiles and so on. Questioning how my dad got it with only his passport and yellowbook, yet here I need a whole lot more. He ended up calling Surin and finding out what they did ( he went into another room for that ). In the meantime my wife struck up a conversation with a lady at the next desk over. She confirmed what the guy said, and the last time they issued that card to a foreigner was approximately 3 years ago. She did mention there is another City council in the area.

When the guy returned he said the Surin office made a mistake, but there were also rules that changed last february and he had to find out about them and to call him back tomorrow morning at 10. I already knew that I wasn't getting a card from him, but really wanted to get to the bottom of this. The whole back and forth took about 1 hour...with lots of changing the subject and answers given that didnt relate to questions....you guys know how it goes :). So we left and decided to go to the other City council.

How to get your Pink ID Card in Ubon:

You have to go the other City Council. NOT the big council by the park. Go to the smaller one on Srinarong Rd ( It's also near the park, but on the street of Smile Restaurant...I will post the GPS coordinates of the exact location at the bottom of this post ). As you enter the property there is a building to your left. Walk in there. Half way in on the right, let the person know you want to get a pink ID card. Immediately they will ask for your passport and yellow book on they will start the process. They knew exactly what was going on.

Now, my case....I tried my work permit: No Go. then I tried in combination with my drivers license ( both documents have the same address )...also no go. They insisted on the yellow book. So, I pulled out my yellowbook and they looked at it and quickly checked with their supervisor and came back and said it is a Surin address, so I would have to go to Surin.

So, if your yellowbook has an Ubon address, bring your passport along and they will issue you a Pink ID Card.

You're welcome.

I'm off to Surin in the coming weeks...

GPS Coordinates of the council office that issues the card: 15.228771 104.854112 ( enter those number just like that in google search )

See attached pictures for the city council sign and the entrance to the office.

City Council Sign.jpeg

Entrance to the office.jpeg

Thank you very much indeed for this excellent information NiwPix.

A small correction. There is only one city council (Thesabaan) which was the first place you went to. The second place is the Amphur building or the District council building. The former is for those living within the city council boundaries. The latter (Amphur) is for those living outside the council boundaries but have to be within the boundaries of the Amphur. 

For getting the ID card go to the place that issues your house registration book.

I used to live within the council boundaries and that is where my house registration was obtained and more recently (three years ago) my ID card was issued. Until last year, over the years of living in Ubon (22 years) this had been the only council building I had ever been to.

Last year I sold my house and moved outside the boundaries to a home down the road from Hop Inn. I then changed my house registration over to my new home address and that is when I was informed I had to get this done at the Amphur building. And like you found NixPix, the people are indeed very polite and easy with giving out good information.

But I forget about changing my ID card to the new address. Some time later last year, I popped into the City Council building where my ID card had been issued and pointed out to them my change of address. They refused to give me a new card because they said that the current card was for "whole-of-life" and was good for the rest of my life even though the address on it was incorrect. They never informed to go to the Amphur offices. 

Now from your information NixPix, I know that I have to go to the Amphur offices to get a new ID card that shows my new address. I will try next week and let you know what happens. It should not be a problem as Thais are often changing addresses and getting new ID cards. 

38 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

A small correction. There is only one city council (Thesabaan) which was the first place you went to. The second place is the Amphur building or the District council building. The former is for those living within the city council boundaries. The latter (Amphur) is for those living outside the council boundaries but have to be within the boundaries of the Amphur. 

For getting the ID card go to the place that issues your house registration book.

I used to live within the council boundaries and that is where my house registration was obtained and more recently (three years ago) my ID card was issued. Until last year, over the years of living in Ubon (22 years) this had been the only council building I had ever been to.

Last year I sold my house and moved outside the boundaries to a home down the road from Hop Inn. I then changed my house registration over to my new home address and that is when I was informed I had to get this done at the Amphur building. And like you found NixPix, the people are indeed very polite and easy with giving out good information.

But I forget about changing my ID card to the new address. Some time later last year, I popped into the City Council building where my ID card had been issued and pointed out to them my change of address. They refused to give me a new card because they said that the current card was for "whole-of-life" and was good for the rest of my life even though the address on it was incorrect. They never informed to go to the Amphur offices. 

Now from your information NixPix, I know that I have to go to the Amphur offices to get a new ID card that shows my new address. I will try next week and let you know what happens. It should not be a problem as Thais are often changing addresses and getting new ID cards. 

11 hours ago, NiwPix said:

Scroll to the bottom of this post if you just want the solution and dont care what I went through :wai:

Ok, today I tried my luck with obtaining one of those ID cards. As stated previously, my yellowbook is registered to my Surin residence, though I spend most my time here in Ubon. So I was a bit worried they wouldn't issue a card based on that. I brought my yellowbook with me, but was "hiding" it. I tried my passport + Workpermit + Drivers license ( both documents have the same Ubon address ).
 I prepped my wife on what I want and that it might be difficult to obtain and to use the yellow book as last resort.

I entered the city council by the park. We walked straight to the information counter and said we wanted to get the ID card for foreigners and showed my dads Card as example. All three ladies had questions marks written all over them and shortly after pointed us to through the door on the right. We entered, and on the left hand side another lady asked what we wanted and again explained and showed a sample picture. She pointed us to the end of the room to a desk in the corner. A man in his late 40's was sitting there. Again, we explained what we wanted etc. He pulled out his book and said we needed a bunch of documents ( Residence Certificate, medical certificate, police clearance and other weird things ). It was a lot of back and forth and polite arguing with smiles and so on. Questioning how my dad got it with only his passport and yellowbook, yet here I need a whole lot more. He ended up calling Surin and finding out what they did ( he went into another room for that ). In the meantime my wife struck up a conversation with a lady at the next desk over. She confirmed what the guy said, and the last time they issued that card to a foreigner was approximately 3 years ago. She did mention there is another City council in the area.

When the guy returned he said the Surin office made a mistake, but there were also rules that changed last february and he had to find out about them and to call him back tomorrow morning at 10. I already knew that I wasn't getting a card from him, but really wanted to get to the bottom of this. The whole back and forth took about 1 hour...with lots of changing the subject and answers given that didnt relate to questions....you guys know how it goes :). So we left and decided to go to the other City council.

You have to go the other City Council. NOT the big council by the park. Go to the smaller one on Srinarong Rd ( It's also near the park, but on the street of Smile Restaurant...I will post the GPS coordinates of the exact location at the bottom of this post ). As you enter the property there is a building to your left. Walk in there. Half way in on the right, let the person know you want to get a pink ID card. Immediately they will ask for your passport and yellow book on they will start the process. They knew exactly what was going on.

Now, my case....I tried my work permit: No Go. then I tried in combination with my drivers license ( both documents have the same address )...also no go. They insisted on the yellow book. So, I pulled out my yellowbook and they looked at it and quickly checked with their supervisor and came back and said it is a Surin address, so I would have to go to Surin.

So, if your yellowbook has an Ubon address, bring your passport along and they will issue you a Pink ID Card.

You're welcome.

GPS Coordinates of the council office that issues the card: 15.228771 104.854112 ( enter those number just like that in google search )

City Council Sign.jpeg

Many thanks for the info supplied, my first attempt for the pink card was at the Tesaban next to the fire station as this is whare my yellow book was issued. And I was told ID card for non Thai was not available.

As per your instructions I will now go to the district office you have shown and check out what the response is there.

Hi,  

After 3 weeks negociate  with the closest amphur  : no way....People say : "Everything is locked by the Sakhon Nakhon main office." 

My question is : Can we make the card in any amphur of the changwat or only on the amphur where i stay ??

Many thanks

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, Michael Hare said:

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:52 PM, NiwPix said:

You're welcome.

City Council Sign.jpeg

Many thanks for the info supplied, my first attempt for the pink card was at the Tesaban next to the fire station as this is whare my yellow book was issued. And I was told ID card for non Thai was not available.

As per your instructions I will now go to the district office you have shown and check out what the response is there.

So yesterday I went to the district office and the people there told me they have issued several of these ID Cards. The lady there asked me to look at my yellow book, and then told me it was the Tesaban office that issued the book so they must issue the ID card. I told her I had been there and was told not possible. She told me to go back to desk # 5 and ask to speak to the boss.

After returning to the Tesaban and getting the info from the boss, I had the card in less than 30 min. You only need the yellow book and passport, and the charge for the card is zero.

In a post above I wrote that last year I moved to a new house and wanted to get a new ID card that showed my new address. 

This morning I went into the Ubon Amphur District office and was able to get a new pink iD card with the new address. It is for whole-of-life. Cost 60 baht which is the standard fee for changing the ID card to a new address. 

One interesting thing I noticed is that I have grown in height. For all of my adult life I have been 178 cm in height. This morning with my shoes off I measured  183 cm in height, as seen from the photo with the mesurements behind me! My wife is jealous. "I wish I could grow taller like you", she said.

13 hours ago, spago said:

why the name on the id card is only in thai it is really no use when you go to the bank or book a plane tiket.

I don't why Spago, the name is not written in both Thai and English. A Thai nationality card has both. 

However, I have never encountered any problems when presenting my ID card at the bank or airport. At the bank, I use the ID card to withdraw large amounts of money, make bank transfers both within Thailand and overseas. I always go to my branch and the people there know me. I never show my passport as it stays at home in my safe. If the bank staff have to write my name in English I tell them how to spell it, but that is very rare.

When booking an internal flight airticket in Thailand I use the internet. At the check-in counter I just show my ID card and it works every time. Then through the inspection to the departure lounge i show my ID card. Never a problem.

At hotels in Thailand I check in and register with my ID card.

Never once, has there been a problem.

Another thing about Thai and English on Thai driver's licenses. My five year license from 2010-2015 had my name in the first row in Thai and in the second row in English. My Thai ID number was used. 

Last year when I renewed my license for another five years, 2015-2020 , initially the same was done but this time my passport number was used. I asked why, because my passport was going to expire in two months time and the ID was for life. They replied that all foreigners must have their passport number on the driver's license. I think they are wrong. A few minutes after getting the new license and driving away they rang me and informed me that a mistake had been made. I returned and was told that my name could only be printed in English in both rows on the license. A foreigner could not not have their name written in Thai on the license.

Another photo was taken and another license issued.

Weird diffrent rules everywhere my driving licence has my yellow book/I'd card number on it just done a month ago. The reason Id have only thai name is its only good inside thailand thai nationals have both roman(english) and thai to conform with international law. You could not use the pink ID abroad as you ain't Thai. You have your passport and driving licence maybe of your mother country. Or an Id card from mother country if issued to use abroad.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2016 at 1:12 PM, Isan Farang said:

My yellow book was issued from the District office. I'm going to go there with my passport and yellow book and try to get it for myself.

So yesterday I went to the district office and the people there told me they have issued several of these ID Cards. The lady there asked me to look at my yellow book, and then told me it was the Tesaban office that issued the book so they must issue the ID card. I told her I had been there and was told not possible. She told me to go back to desk # 5 and ask to speak to the boss.

After returning to the Tesaban and getting the info from the boss, I had the card in less than 30 min. You only need the yellow book and passport, and the charge for the card is zero.

On 2/26/2016 at 8:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have removed the image of your ID card. Although in Thai it contains a lot of personal info. Plataea edit it and and post again.

The ID card has been available for some time now but not all Amphoes will do them.

I got mine in about 30 minutes today at the District Office. It's done at counter #5. Directly opposite the counter inside the front door is a copy machine at 1 baht per page. I had to make two copies of pages in my yellow book and photo page of my passport. 60 baht for the ID.

Can't see the point of struggling with Thai bureaucrats to get extra bits of paper beyond drivers license to say who you are. Perhaps I will when I lose my passport for the first time in 50odd years of keeping it accessible to remember to pick up when I need it!

It's all about risk/reward balance so everyone can have a different take. Can understand why anyone who travels widely and daily around Thailand like M O'H finds it useful though.

{did try to get a housebook but Amphur Kantharalak (Sisaket) wanted me inter-alia to go to the local police and get a statement that I was an honest and reliable citizen. So go to the crooks to get a statement of honesty? When I stopped laughing I was so incensed that I couldn't be bothered to progress it further} 

On 9/27/2016 at 9:57 PM, SantiSuk said:

Can't see the point of struggling with Thai bureaucrats to get extra bits of paper beyond drivers license to say who you are. Perhaps I will when I lose my passport for the first time in 50odd years of keeping it accessible to remember to pick up when I need it!

It's all about risk/reward balance so everyone can have a different take. Can understand why anyone who travels widely and daily around Thailand like M O'H finds it useful though.

{did try to get a housebook but Amphur Kantharalak (Sisaket) wanted me inter-alia to go to the local police and get a statement that I was an honest and reliable citizen. So go to the crooks to get a statement of honesty? When I stopped laughing I was so incensed that I couldn't be bothered to progress it further} 

Hey Santi, did you try your Tessabaan for the Yellow Book. Warin Amphur told me to go forth and multiply, but the Tessabaan c/w my PooYaiBaan & house owner couldn't have been more accommodating. 

I don't have a tessebaan here in the nether regions of Amphur Kantharalak, Patriot. I don't think our tambon district office do yellow books, but it's an idea and I'll get Ann to check. I recall her saying that there is some prospect that the tambon gets elevated to tessebaan status sometime in the future. Thanks for the input.

As said I'm not looking to make special efforts, as I've never been asked for ID on the fly other than in circs where my DL will do, like with all hotels and all road cop show-mes to date. I have only once in 8 years found the need to show the full up-to-date copy of my passport that I carry at all times in my man-bag (! oh yes - very European I am!). I always have my original passport close at hand for those activities where I know it is needed and when travelling out of local provinces. I would probably do that anyway even if I had a YB/Pink ID as I may need it for some unplanned bank activity (have accounts in Bangkok as well as here). As said, I may change my tune if I have different experiences in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time I can recall, my driving license was not enough at a hotel (in Ubon - T3 House). They initially copied my DL but then rang me in the room and asked for my passport. Took my passport copy downstairs (copy of all pages including visa etc) and that was accepted.

The usefulness of having a pink card is getting one step closer for me. Soon as I get a request that can only be met by my original passport I'll get a pink card

The hotel manager/owner rushed out of his office when I came down and apologised - "immigration are now getting much tougher with us - we have to be able to show copy of the passport now; if they come and look and I do not have it's a 4,000 baht fine for me now". We had a friendly exchange in which he showed some sympathy to my observation that resident falangs understand what is happening and that it is the government, even though we don't like it and wonder if we are wanted here anymore. He confirmed that copying the pink card works fine with immigration.

"DL is good enough for domestic travel".

I never relied on it and now it seems over anyway.

I was always disputed when I wrote that my favorite hotel in Pattaya wants to see the passport and even looks for the "stamp" and writes down the details.

(and to my understanding all "major" places will req.)

I have a pink card since last week.

Should I try ? :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

I used my pink card to get the 50b price at Phu Chong Na Yoi National Park where Huai Luang Waterfall is and Khao Phra Wihan National Park today. I've never had trouble at Huai Luang but Khao Phra Wihan can sometimes be a struggle to get a cheaper price.

Archived