It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

1 mill a month? Couldn't spend that much without worrying what to spend it on. Got to go, the skipper tells me my yaught is leaving to catch the tide.

Even at 1.0 million/month at the current exchange rates is USD 35k/m (USD 420k/year)...yes its a very good money, but even that's not really in the skipper/ private yacht league...at an income of Thb 12 million/year these people will be paying around 4.0 million in tax as well.

My buddy earns exactly 1 million a month and has a speedboat. Also an airplane.

If he needs any help spending it, tell him I'm his man...

Winnie

Count me in as well. I am low maintenance.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 mill a month? Couldn't spend that much without worrying what to spend it on. Got to go, the skipper tells me my yaught is leaving to catch the tide.

Even at 1.0 million/month at the current exchange rates is USD 35k/m (USD 420k/year)...yes its a very good money, but even that's not really in the skipper/ private yacht league...at an income of Thb 12 million/year these people will be paying around 4.0 million in tax as well.

Winnie

WOW and they say Thai women are money grubbing gold diggers who will prostitute themselves for the almighty dollar...blink.png

Its strange how many of these deliriously happy ex pats are committing suicide every year.

It must be wonderful to be deliriously happy ex pats,after being beaten half to death by Thai gangs.

As the other Op did,i tired of Pattaya and Bkk after a while and moved to Isaan.I am happy and feel much safer here.Of course there is crime,but it is nowhere near as violent as BKK and the seaside resorts.

I know that village life would not suite everybody,but it does me.We had a party in our soi on Saturday night.We had music,singers, we danced,and had great fun.All the booze and food was free,and i was welcomed as part of village life.There was no sign of fighting,shooting,stabbing,or racial nastiness.In fact every woman that spoke to my wife,wanted to know how to get a ferang husband.I enjoy it here.

The term deliriously happy,would give the image of people hopping and dancing down the street every day on their way to work.Its a false statement.Its newspaper terminology.There is no such thing as deliriously.Its a silly term.The terminology alone would indicate that if one is deliriously happy,then they have no problems.We who live here know that problems,be they major or minor,arise every day.We deal with them,from painting the fence,to keeping your kids out of harms way.

Deliriously? only children are lucky to experience that situation.

I am happy,not deliriously, but enough to want to stay here and make it my home.

Good luck to all you 'deliriously happy' folk,i hope it remains like that for you.

So well put Dave. I don't live in a village as such although it's called Fa Ham Village -but it's actually more like a satellite enclave 7 kms from CM city centre. It's not a gated community or anything like that so it does have that 'villagey' feel about it - a lovely mix of bungalows and houses, all with gardens, and an equally delightful mix of Thais and a goodly smattering of us farangs - all ages, all professions, and from various backgrounds. My Thai neighbours are both friendly and supportive - and as I'm gay with a Thai partner this is most encouraging. Being so near to CM itself, several good shopping centres and a superb highway network makes it an ideal location - the country feel without actually being too far away from all the city's amenities. Lordy! This sounds like an estate agents spiel - apologies - just wanted to agree with Dave but point out that there are place where for those not wanting to be away from the bright lights such enclaves as Fa Ham do exist.

what does he do here? assume own business

Thailand can be a great place to live : for those who have modest and simple needs and in no need of luxury, it's hard to imagine anywhere with the same options; similarly for those with greater means, including the need to get out very regularly, it's great. One suspects though that some feel trapped in a cycle of increasing prices but fixed or declining income. With home governments increasingly reluctant to pay pensions overseas ( even in the absence of any common sense reason) it's doubtful that bliss is imminent for that group, sadly.

I admire the TEFLers: pretty thankless job, very modest pay, not much security of tenure but most seem to enjoy it

Jobs in Engineering, Eastern Seaboard, Japanese, Koreans, Western expats etc...and yes most making 300k plus month

International Engineering offices in BKK - same Asia/ Western expats - 300k to THB 1.0 mill/month dependent on the position.

time to get your head out the Thai sand....Expats in Thailand.... a lot more going one than "English Teachers" blagging 25k/m from a language school

What I don't understand is some of the howls of protest and calling BS on here when someone mentions 100k and above salaries (not that 100k is a big salary)

Did these posters think they were are big fish on their 30-100 k/m or actually think they were at the top of the shit pile in Thailand and the realization is they are actually little fish and near the bottom of the dung heap in the expat stakes in Thailand ?

I admit I was starting to get worried that I was the only member on a salary in that range smile.png

OK slightly shy of the million (by 50%), and yes, I'm an engineer. Flashy job title "Consultant Engineer" means I've not got my hands dirty for years except when gardening, it's my job to be wrong when the wheel comes off sad.png

Oddly enough, I'm wrong most of the time even when I'm not sad.png

But the cheques keep on coming :)

5 pages of reactions to a survey that's designed to get such reactions......there's a word for this type of post, but I'd just get banned for using it!!!

Now 12 pages of reactions to a thread designed to get such reactions, but still nobody dares use the word then rhymes with "gate"

It is funny and sad at same time to see so many posts here written with grumpy old men or incompetent people with bad manners which spit all around good!!!

People which have difficulties here can blame themselves and way of life they have!

Most of us have nice life here without conflict!We are happy in Bkk,Pattaya,Chiang Mai,Phuket and no need to go to small village in Issan to be happy(I accept that some people like country life style better)!

I am really happy with my life here ,same as most foreigners I know!!!

Yes this forum is full of grumpy old men which can sometimes bring a bit of humour to the topic

I have noticed in my experience that the majority of people living in pattaya and the like, are people on smallish pensions (but still happy and a better life than they would have in their own country)

The life in Issan is very different (i stay in Surin) wonderful people and without the trappings and problems associated with living in the tourist areas. Having said that it can become very boring at times.

Its all about finding an equilibrium in your life and dependant on your life style. The grass is always greener on the other side as they say.

Having a family here brings a different type of happiness and still being able to travel and stay in different parts of thailand helps to give oneself a better outlook.

I consider myself lucky in that i can afford this easily on my meagre (as it seems) 85k a month from pension and investments and still a youthful 53 years old

If you come here and play the field because you think you can get away with it with your stay at home wife, you will eventually get burnt and lose, as a lot of people find out the hard way.

Temptation is a terrible thing, don't believe they don't know what you are up to.

You interrogated folk in Pattaya regarding their financial stuff...?

Guess they interrogated some delirious dreamers on a party in Pattaya Beach.

They love Thai visa news and mods to bits, a little strong i would say.

Yes Thai visa is a good informative site, but to say we love the mods O.T.T.

Google has some good info on the mods. LOL

I never thought of googling that, most enlightening!

wow so that's what "cottaging" is !!

The average working person is likely to earn. 100,000 baht a month and the average owns property... Lol... Pure bullshit. The average person spends 100,000 months and has a home on land that can not legally be owned by a foreigner.

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

Winnie

WOW and they say Thai women are money grubbing gold diggers who will prostitute themselves for the almighty dollar...blink.png

New to the whole concept of humour are you?

Winnie

Funny how incredulous some are about a fairly modest salary like 100k a month.

TBH, it's a bit low for an expat in a corporate job in Bkk….

But I am curious what specific job or industry in Pattaya pays 100K a month…I didn't know there were any company jobs going there, unless you count the shipping port at Laem Chanbang …I thought the bingo players who manage go-gos were on 40-50K max….

Edited by JHolmesJr

TBH, it's a bit low for an expat in a corporate job in Bkk.

But I am curious what specific job or industry in Pattaya pays 100K a monthI didn't know there were any company jobs going there, unless you count the shipping port at Laem Chanbang I thought the bingo players who manage go-gos were on 40-50K max.

They have international schools down there, dont they?

…I thought the bingo players who manage go-gos were on 40-50K max….

They are.

They are on more than me. Officialy have no income these days. How can people get by on less than 500k a month?

They love Thai visa news and mods to bits, a little strong i would say.

Yes Thai visa is a good informative site, but to say we love the mods O.T.T.

Google has some good info on the mods. LOL

What do you mean?

Google oh google were for art thou ?

Think of a search term you wish to look for and put it into google...

whistling.gif

Ah yes, I see now. Hmm I never knew.

What sort of employment in pattaya pays 100,000bht a month?

The kind where you commute to BKK every week. Other than that, hotel chefs and managerial positions in the larger chain hotels, etc.

Yeah…hotels…international schools….very limed no of positions though aren't they?

Article makes it sounds like the average salary in pattaya for expats is 100K a month.

Fink the word 'delirious' is a little out of place regarding the subject...facepalm.gif

I have never met a delirious farang, met a few nutters but not delirious...tongue.png

Maybe malaria?

The kind where you commute to BKK every week. Other than that, hotel chefs and managerial positions in the larger chain hotels, etc.

Yeahhotelsinternational schools.very limed no of positions though aren't they?

Article makes it sounds like the average salary in pattaya for expats is 100K a month.

I know many that live in pattaya on salaries a lot more than 100k they don't work there though rather in Rayong or laem chabang

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

I would never have a friend who was not earning a minimum of 100,000 baht a month, and owns property.

Yeahhotelsinternational schools.very limed no of positions though aren't they?

I know many that live in pattaya on salaries a lot more than 100k they don't work there though rather in Rayong or laem chabang

well according to pattayas "new prostitute guide" if your not making over 100,000 the girls wont pay much attention to you.

its fun to watch the money dry up.