It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

The survey picked their targets well to get the desired result. Pure Thainess, well done.

I don't think they did, the survey I believe was a link on TV and anyone could respond...where the questions loaded to steer towards a know result ? most likely

and you couldn't make any comments...

This is going to end up like Brexit , where a lot who participated now refuse to accept the result biggrin.png

Is Brexit going to be the new go to point on the forum? You seem to be having a moan. Stop moaning and do something. I totally understand that moaning is the easy option.

I thought it was funny . Your the one moaning

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The survey picked their targets well to get the desired result. Pure Thainess, well done.

I don't think they did, the survey I believe was a link on TV and anyone could respond...where the questions loaded to steer towards a know result ? most likely

This is going to end up like Brexit , where a lot who participated now refuse to accept the result biggrin.png

The only reason I did the survey was that there was a prize of a romantic weekend away at a "luxury villa" in Pattaya and If I won I was going to donate it the prize to a prominent TV member and one of the mods with my best wishes

wink.png

Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. The freedoms that used to be are no longer. I personally am just waiting to sell some assets here cant wait to leave after 15 years very sad about the way the country has gone and is going.

"Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore"

UK was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore.

France was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore.

Germany was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore.

Spain was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore.

Italy was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore.

OK I'm tired...

...the planet earth was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. blink.png

... maybe I am getting old?tongue.png

This is obviously descriptive statistics only, no correlation provided. And it's not even a representative sample of the folks that live here.

Please Thaivisa, repeat that survey and group the participants in better cohorts. Don't forget to include the natives next time for comparison, they are the ones that build up the country while the profiteers of the Western economic crisis are obviously trying to tear it all down and treat Thailand as a colony.

Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. The freedoms that used to be are no longer. I personally am just waiting to sell some assets here cant wait to leave after 15 years very sad about the way the country has gone and is going.

Where are you off to?

and how did they select the 884? why not just do an online survey and all allow everyone to vote? I cant believe ThaiVisa would indulge in this and how many times is Pattaya mentioned? TWELVE times!

The more I read about Pattaya and Phuket, the happier I am living in Chiang Mai!

So, the Municipal services leave a bit to be desired, the sky is filled with more cables and wires than a 3-masted sailing ship, and one day they will stop building condos here.

However, we can be out of the city in less than 15 minutes ( in non-peak hours!)

Let's have a survey for the North and see what the results are. biggrin.png

Its strange how many of these deliriously happy ex pats are committing suicide every year.

It must be wonderful to be deliriously happy ex pats,after being beaten half to death by Thai gangs.

As the other Op did,i tired of Pattaya and Bkk after a while and moved to Isaan.I am happy and feel much safer here.Of course there is crime,but it is nowhere near as violent as BKK and the seaside resorts.

I know that village life would not suite everybody,but it does me.We had a party in our soi on Saturday night.We had music,singers, we danced,and had great fun.All the booze and food was free,and i was welcomed as part of village life.There was no sign of fighting,shooting,stabbing,or racial nastiness.In fact every woman that spoke to my wife,wanted to know how to get a ferang husband.I enjoy it here.

The term deliriously happy,would give the image of people hopping and dancing down the street every day on their way to work.Its a false statement.Its newspaper terminology.There is no such thing as deliriously.Its a silly term.The terminology alone would indicate that if one is deliriously happy,then they have no problems.We who live here know that problems,be they major or minor,arise every day.We deal with them,from painting the fence,to keeping your kids out of harms way.

Deliriously? only children are lucky to experience that situation.

I am happy,not deliriously, but enough to want to stay here and make it my home.

Good luck to all you 'deliriously happy' folk,i hope it remains like that for you.

Is Brexit going to be the new go to point on the forum? You seem to be having a moan. Stop moaning and do something. I totally understand that moaning is the easy option.

I thought it was funny . Your the one moaning

Sorry, missed your humour, read again and chuckled. Homer Simpson flashback.

It seems this survey was conducted by Nida.

Why wasn't I asked to participate in this bogus survey.

If this was indeed a Thaivisa survey why were the rest of us not invited to participate in the survey? I think perhaps the participants were preselected to give this high rating to a bogus survey.

...884 out of how many members total.....

...when you include that statistic one suspects that you will see immediately how insignificant and inaccurate your 'facts and figures' are....

You took your time to respond. Always enjoy your negativity.

I live in Thailand and I am extremely happy (Joe)

Furthermore, I believe that this country is totally safe to live and work.

I think to be perfectly representative of the expatriates living here and those who criticize the country to post length are embittered people, losers damaged by their mistakes and who found this area to express their unhappiness.

There's obviously something wrong with the wording "expats"

Expats are those who are here on a working permit or a business visa, while those who can stay up to 3 months go by the name of "tourists" unless the come for educational reasons. Then there's this group called "retirees" which have worked all their lives and now chose to retire in this lovely country called Thailand. After all,there's of course these people that would qualify for the survey but never took part in it, the so-called "missing cases" Those including the sick or disabled, a group that was probably also never interviewed.

The whole survey seems not to be so well-defined from the beginning. If I - as a social researcher - would have come up in statistical sciences with a "survey" like that, I would have certainly failed to qualify for my jobs.

Never mind, we all started as beginners once, didn't we?

Fink the word 'delirious' is a little out of place regarding the subject...facepalm.gif

I have never met a delirious farang, met a few nutters but not delirious...tongue.png

Seen a few on here go delirious when they forget to take their meds and turn into real bi-polar nutters

what to say..

probably I am in the wrong area in bangkok because not recognised the representation the poll as given.

as wel lit represent the english speak people. which is still a minority of al; expats.

So we can say of the user the people who did respond are less happy than 2 years ago.

Quote:

A whopping near 80% professed themselves either happy or blissful – though this was a shade down from the 87% happy rating given in the last survey in 2014 before the military took over.

end Quote

rest my case

@Rayk - #122: Strange how not one single Thai visa member has come forth and said they took part in this fairy tale survey.

TV should be banning itself for 7 days for breaking its own forum rules on trolling.

@Bunnychow - #129: I believe it was an on line survey, if its the one I think it was...and the reason Pattaya is mentioned so much is that the the survey was most likely commissioned by the new owners of TV, who happen to be Pattaya based and are owners of "Inspire" which is also Pattaya based, ergo their frame of reference is Pattaya

I smell a rat - an amateurish rat. I don't think there was a survey - it's all the figment of someone's imagination, a someone who thinks he/she is clever but has failed miserably because he/she does not have the wit. And in that cleverness is some rather vile thinking, not to mention the rantings of a person who is bigoted. If the idea was to take a poke at the miserable members of TV, then it is poor judgement - these people draw in comments and increase the number of visits, thus allowing the new owners of TV to make a profit. If I get a warning for this posting and for calling the new owners "amateur" and "witless", I am out of here for good.

Interpretation of the survey result could have been better drafted. 'The moaners' even if they are less than 50% - or even 5% do not lose their significance. They played an important role in bringing issues out and getting solved, drawing attention and advocating for the rights which made life for everyone happier. We in general tend to neglect the ideas upheld by groups or individuals if they fail to be in the section of people who vote and become part of the 50% side - we have misinterpreted it as democracy. What about the feelings, thinking and ideas of the 48% of the population who voted in the brexit for Britain to remain in EU. The subsequent actions following just a voting tramples on their emotions, ambitions and prospects - just because they could not muster a few more votes - is it the judgement of right and wrong? fact or fiction? In an Islamic country lion-share of votes will be against rights of a religious minority - does it mean that the Muslims who voted for humanity do not exist?

I am also not sure whether the survey could capture how many of the happy 80% do not 'moan' on Thai Visa forum when something wrong happens in the country?

what to say..

probably I am in the wrong area in bangkok because not recognised the representation the poll as given.

as wel lit represent the english speak people. which is still a minority of al; expats.

So we can say of the user the people who did respond are less happy than 2 years ago.

Quote:

A whopping near 80% professed themselves either happy or blissful – though this was a shade down from the 87% happy rating given in the last survey in 2014 before the military took over.

end Quote

rest my case

An expat is an expat, nationality does not come into it.

More than half (54%) of Pattayans in employment are earning 100,000 baht plus a month.

No doubts at all. With the amount of FBI, ex-SAS, Mossad, CIA and other rocket scientists in Soi 6 and Walking Street down there it's astonishing that its only a bit over 100,000.

If they are earning 100k a month in Pattaya they must be pimps

if that's all a pimp earns iam glad i chose not to become one, i cannot imagine life in pattaya on such a paltry income

Don't forget the fringe benefits though.

Actually, taking a survey on walking street at 2am when the OLD men like have a 28 year date on the way back to my condo that I've been trying to sell for years to pay for the hospital bills that my insurance won't pay and first I MUST pay and wait several months for a reimbursement.

As for owning a car, bike or house which as we all know is in your Thai's wife name and will always be hers and her families. It's Official but hey watch your bags when riding in a Tuk-Tuk.

That's odd. Both my motorbikes are in my name and so is the pickup truck.

I live in rural Thailand and have not been to Walking street for 4 or 5years.

I live on 15 rai in rural Thailand. Of course the land and house is in my wife's name. Why wouldn't it be? If it was in my name it would go to my wife and son when I die anyway.

Even in the UK the house was in joint names of my wife and I.

When we divorced I gave her everything except my pensions and what I could fit into a Ford Mondeo estate.

Must have been some sort of Junta style format survey:

Select the correct asnwer

Happiness: are you

1- Deliriously happy

2- Very happy

3- Happy

Do you own:

1- A car

1- A bike :)

Where do you leave:

1 - Bangkok

2- Pattaya