Is a career in Thailand even practical?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the only reasons i stay in Thailand is because i make more here than i would back home, plus more than any doctors and lawyers make back home. Yes im a self employed business owner or 3 - before i came to thailand i was an Aircraft technician and after many years training i just tossed it away.. Do i regret that? LOL no way....
Carpe Diem

However after 10+ yrs here its frustrating - i cant buy land, houses and im sick of investing in condos... stock markets are very hit and miss so investment wise i would do far better back home... and yeah moving money out the country sucks too... its tough... but still you can easily live like a king here on much less than back home - aside from nice cars which are way over priced here... Thailand has become lots more than 10 yrs ago and will soon be just another Singapore... so jump now and enjoy it before its too late... Laos and Burma will be other options soon...

Opportunities in Thailand continue to improve.

Especially once the current political situation resolves itself.

Personally, I put life before money all the way. Never regretted that decision.

Get back here and be happy.

You are young enough, you can always adapt if it doesn't pan out.

Right now at a young age you will be able to adapt to a lower salary with no problems. However, you are giving up one of the best retirement systems in the World- the American Social Security system and perhaps a private pension. Once you start into your 50s you will find that not investing in a house in Thailand will make you a renter forever and you will have no retirement fund if emergencies occur and drain any savings you have. Do what you want now and living the dream sounds great except when the dream goes sour and you wake up to nothing. Advice: Find a great job in the USA and work your way up the ladder. Thailand will always be here. I have met to many people who thought they could make their life in Thailand and end up living as a pauper.

I am going to give you my best advice.

Find companies with ASEAN / American connections ... (or think of those professions closely protected by Thai labor laws ... and specialize in those !!!)

Work for those companies / skills until you are 30.

In the meantime. Turn off your Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat etc ... (In a word "bullcrap")

I am American, and guess what ... American politics etc is exactly as big a problem as YOU make it.

Focus on your goal of getting experience and a nice bankroll, then come to Thailand.

In fact, work two jobs .. and you will not have "the luxury of your own feelings" and will focus on the job at hand.

Thailand is 100 times better to live in than much of America. you are on the right track ... now fire up the train and GO down that track!

As they say in Thailand to us Farang ... "You think too much !!"

You mentioned that your experience is in retail.

Does that mean selling socks or managing part of the retail value chain (just one e.g. buying)?

Either way why not move around a bit to get further strong experience in retail in the US to the point where you have something strong, unique, in terms of experience and skills and aim to get a handful of solid contacts in the trade (US, China, whatever) differentiating you compared to the average Thai retail folks.

Shouldn't take too long, maybe 2 or 3 years, then make a move.

Male, 25 years old, experience doing basic retail jobs only so far. I don't have to have an extremely well paying career, I already have my own place to stay in Thailand, and I do understand how to fit into the country, I'm just asking whether its even practical to live there

This may apply to you as you were born in the US and hold a US passport then no matter where you go in the world and earn money the IRS may wish to take their cut. Our previous Lord Mayor of London Boris Johnson was born in the US and left when he was a child and subsequently carved out his life and career in the UK. Several years back he had to pay the IRS 500k (not sure dollars or pounds) http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

Just something to be aware of and wish you well in your pursuit..

Regardless of your education you need to gain some experience. I don't see why you can't gain some experience in Thailand as you are young enough now where you can afford to do this for few years. This will also give you a chance to see what it is really like here and if you want to spend the rest of your days here.

If I was you I would give this a try. Why not? Life is not all about money. There are also rich Thais that live here to. You actually have a big advantage over most people here as you can come to Thailand and work without a Work Permit. With a USA educational background you chances of finding a job here is probably better than most also.Starting a business here is probably not much different than starting one in the USA, which requires startup capital and some knowledge or expertise in some field you wish to enter.

The one thing I would look out for and check before I came here is your Military Obligation as a young Thai Man. While in Thailand the government would only see you as a Thai, so being from the USA won't help you here. Not sure if you would be exempt from Military Service but I would certainly check to make sure. Otherwise your 2 years stay here may end up being in the army. , . .

About the Thai military service, let's just say I didn't get a red card.

Right now at a young age you will be able to adapt to a lower salary with no problems. However, you are giving up one of the best retirement systems in the World- the American Social Security system and perhaps a private pension. Once you start into your 50s you will find that not investing in a house in Thailand will make you a renter forever and you will have no retirement fund if emergencies occur and drain any savings you have. Do what you want now and living the dream sounds great except when the dream goes sour and you wake up to nothing. Advice: Find a great job in the USA and work your way up the ladder. Thailand will always be here. I have met to many people who thought they could make their life in Thailand and end up living as a pauper.

I don't need to rent in Thailand, I already own my own house in the city and about 30 rai in the countryside.

About the IRS hounding me, I guess I could just not report my earnings to them, no?

Male, 25 years old, experience doing basic retail jobs only so far. I don't have to have an extremely well paying career, I already have my own place to stay in Thailand, and I do understand how to fit into the country, I'm just asking whether its even practical to live there

Tai this is an eternal question amongst people who appreciate choice in life and are not bound by the herd...

Basic retail is not much of a career and yet would be quite low paying here. Maybe you can teach english here. Being bi-lingual would be an asset and maybe a better career path than retail in USA.

I used to travel here on business - and when I did, I would note an old lady on the beach in a grass hut wok frying an occasional meal. She got to live her whole life, relaxing on the beach. I had more money but a more stressful life.

But, this is a very personal decision and one that will have consequences, both good and bad...

If I were you, I might make a list of good and bad points to either choice. And this will not likely be the last decision you make.

Good luck to you.

As in Australia etc, many waiters and bartenders are the

best educated in the country who can't get a job in their

chosen profession, choose wisely.

I don't think the best of the best doctors, lawyers or bankers, architects, accountants etc end up as waitresses, but there are certainty over qualified people who are unable to find work in their chosen field...

I agree with you about the US, but you talk like someone can't be successful in Thailand, which I disagree. Stop comparing the US dollar to the Thai baht. If you compare a rich successful Thai resident's bank account to the same in the US, there's going to be a big difference. If you have 20 million baht in the bank, you "could" live off the intrest, but that's only just over $500,000 in US and that doesn't generate enough intrest to live on.

I agree with you about the US, but you talk like someone can't be successful in Thailand, which I disagree. Stop comparing the US dollar to the Thai baht. If you compare a rich successful Thai resident's bank account to the same in the US, there's going to be a big difference. If you have 20 million baht in the bank, you "could" live off the intrest, but that's only just over $500,000 in US and that doesn't generate enough intrest to live on.

But if you're a salaryman, unless you're working for a MNC and are on an expat package it most likely will take you a lot longer to save 20M Baht or US$500K if you are living in Thailand rather than the US.

That depends on what job you have. Very few people in America have or can save $500,000. Also like i said even if you could save that much , it's still not enough to live off the intrest if you had it in the bank. Unlike the 20m baht. Don't think it's easy to make money in America either. We are talking about two different societies. Rich and wealthy people here in Thailand, wouldn't have the same status in America. It almost sounds like OP wants to be rich and successful here and wants to be procieved that way by Americans, which is not going to happen. If someone is making 50,000 ฿ a month, (which I know they're far from being rich) you can rent a decent condo, save money, eat good, etc. You can live good without any real woories. Now if you tried living in America on that same amount ($1500 a month) you would be in great poverty. You would have barely any money left after paying your bills, saving money would be just a dream.

That depends on what job you have. Very few people in America have or can save $500,000. Also like i said even if you could save that much , it's still not enough to live off the intrest if you had it in the bank. Unlike the 20m baht. Don't think it's easy to make money in America either. We are talking about two different societies. Rich and wealthy people here in Thailand, wouldn't have the same status in America. It almost sounds like OP wants to be rich and successful here and wants to be procieved that way by Americans, which is not going to happen. If someone is making 50,000 ฿ a month, (which I know they're far from being rich) you can rent a decent condo, save money, eat good, etc. You can live good without any real woories. Now if you tried living in America on that same amount ($1500 a month) you would be in great poverty. You would have barely any money left after paying your bills, saving money would be just a dream.

I was assuming that by "career" we were talking about some sort of a white collar career that requires a college education, but by looking at the original post again I see that's not where the OP is coming from. But I'm not sure that's the the right comparison that you're making. Your example of 50,000 Baht per month is $1428 per month, or about $9 hour. Those are McDonalds wages in the US. If that's the only type of work that the OP is qualified for in the US, why would we expect him to be able to make 50,000 baht per month here?

I wasn't saying what OP would or could make here. I was just giving an example of the difference between the two societies. What would be a decent wage here would not be in the US when camparing the equivalent amount of money.

I think that provided that your income is exceeding your living expenses, most people will accumulate more cash more quickly living in the US on an American wage than in Thailand on a Thai wage. The only way that it would not be the case would be if the wages in the West were not nearly enough higher to compensate for the higher cost of living, but in most professional fields they are. And if that were not the case, if instead the typical Thai person was able to accumulate more wealth than a person with equivalent qualifications in the West, then the GDP per capita in Thailand would be a lot higher than it's current $6000 per year.

I think that provided that your income is exceeding your living expenses, most people will accumulate more cash more quickly living in the US on an American wage than in Thailand on a Thai wage. The only way that it would not be the case would be if the wages in the West were not nearly enough higher to compensate for the higher cost of living, but in most professional fields they are. And if that were not the case, if instead the typical Thai person was able to accumulate more wealth than a person with equivalent qualifications in the West, then the GDP per capita in Thailand would be a lot higher than it's current $6000 per year.

I doubt gdp applies to Thailand

Too many farmers that work occasionally

Villagers who sleep in hammocks

Taxi drivers who don't want to drive anywhere

The majority of businesses run on cash and probably pay little or no taxes...

If a motivated individual were to "bust his balls" I guess a figure of 50-100k would be possible...

There are girls in my office who make over 50k and that's not including the yearly bonuses and other benefits which would bring it up much much higher than the gdp ...

If a motivated individual were to "bust his balls" I guess a figure of 50-100k would be possible...

There are girls in my office who make over 50k and that's not including the yearly bonuses and other benefits which would bring it up much much higher than the gdp ...

How much would those 50k baht/month office jobs pay if they were in the US or Europe?

I moved here right after graduating from university and I am still living here at 62. I was lucky and people offered me opportunities when I was young and I invested well. The thing is, that was a very long time ago and things have changed a lot. I am more the exception than the rule but you never know unless you try.

That's interesting, I've never heard of such a story from a farang. Would you mind telling me more? Maybe through a PM if you don't want it to be public, up to you.

I have a Thai ID card and all, you know. Do you speak the language well, etc? Did you get to become a citizen eventually or no?

How much would those 50k baht/month office jobs pay if they were in the US or Europe?

And how much will your living expenses be in the US or Europe? It is all relative.

The apartment I live in here is $400 per month. An equivalent apartment in any major city in the US would start at $1,500 per month. I can eat a nice meal here for $3. In any major US city it would start at $12. And then there is health care and insurance, taxes, fees, etc.

Any analysis is going to be very personal. One needs to consider the possibility of a forced change in the future. The direction of the countries in question (society, culture, government, etc.). The value of assets and currencies. It is a complex decision.

In the end, life is short, and too many of my friends over-planned everything only to be seriously disappointed. I say live!

Plan as best you can, but don't sacrifice today for some imaginary future.

Regarding fluency, I said I AM fluent in the language and can read and write although I lack a lot of the academic terms. I'm not too worried about racism as I'm not dark-skinned, I'm generally regarded as "farang looking."

The politics of Thailand are not better for sure, but in the US everyone is so politically correct that they won't even acknowledge certain things that Thais consider standard, i.e. Thais are more socially conservative as a whole and have better family values, even if there are a few bad apples. People in the US are so obsessed with equality and correctness that they won't admit that a 18-20 year old woman is more attractive than a 40 year old one. (just an example).

About money it's actually not that huge of an issue, I have a not so huge inheritance ( won't specify how much ) but it's definitely enough to live on in Southeast Asia if I'm not spending lavishly left and right.

It's true that Thais emphasize family much more than Americans, but that's not the same as "better family values." Domestic violence is more common among Thais. I have read an academic paper estimating domestic violence rates of 40% here. Thai couples cheat on each other more than American couples.

Quite true my friend, Thai men cheat on their wives a lot and they're quite abusive, also a lot of Thai women can be whores. Just because I'm living in Thailand as a Thai citizen doesn't mean I have to marry a Thai though. There are plenty of good women available to be brought over from Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam and even some of the Thai women can be quite chaste and decent, if you know how to read a person.

super easy: create the next youtube, google, twitter, facebook.......or croc shoes, pokemon go app.....stuff like that.

i only worked for 8-minutes of my life......one day i told my friend, "call it microsoft."

it was a rough 8-minutes

About the IRS hounding me, I guess I could just not report my earnings to them, no?

Better give up your US citizenship first. Too many Thai-US dual nationals (or Thai green card holders) have been "just not reporting." With the amount of digital financial information available, new tax legislation, recently signed IGAs, upcoming cross-sharing of information and need to raise revenue by countries with aging populations, just not reporting is going to become very expensive for them.

You either pay now, or pay later. Best suggestion: give up your US citizenship if you want to go this route.

Archived