Is a career in Thailand even practical?

For someone holding dual US-Thai citizenship and just starting out his career, having graduated from university, is it practical to start working in Thailand and not the USA?

I don't very much like the US, especially the liberal vs conservative politics and everyone participating in the social change tug of war, the race politics.. I could go on. Living here is very tiring for me, but I do realize I would never be able to make as much money in Thailand. The thing is, I just don't like it here, and I miss Southeast Asia too much. I've heard of foreigners finding a wife in some Southeast Asian country and moving over there to start some business and live with their wife in her home country instead of bringing her to the US. How realistic is this? Another thing is I don't want to have a family in the USA, I don't really want my kids to adopt the American culture because I feel that even though both the Thai and American cultures have their toxicity, the American culture can be much more toxic and draining.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer living in Thailand as well.

But with a western education and being raised in the west (I presume) it won't be easy to build something in Thailand. Building in the US and after that moving to Thailand is probably the easier option. Or move to Thailand through a US company.

Well, I can speak thai fluently, also read and write. I guess I could work in Japan or Taiwan as that's quite close to Southeast Asia, but I don't want to work in the west as I'm totally far from a place that I miss and consider a second home. Even if I can fly there once a year it takes almost 20 hours and I can't stay that long.

Male, 25 years old, experience doing basic retail jobs only so far. I don't have to have an extremely well paying career, I already have my own place to stay in Thailand, and I do understand how to fit into the country, I'm just asking whether its even practical to live there

What's your Uni degree?

The suggestion above about trying to find a US Company with business interests in Asia is a good one. I presume you have a Western working discipline, logic, reason, foresight, and the language ability is a potential gold mine for you.

I wouldn't sell yourself short and move to Thailand on your own without any prospects. Keep your pants on, the US, even with all the political rancor going on right now, isn't the worst place in the world to be. The white noise from the media and internet can make it feel overwhelming.

If you are drawing a blank, consider the military. I wouldn't suggest being a gun-toting warrior, rather get into something technical (if that's your thing) or transferable to the civilian world. Your language skills are, once again, very attractive in this scenario, and you could easily ride that carpet out of the US where you'll find many opportunities to mix and mingle, build networks, experience, knowledge and abilities. I am biased because I went in to the service (Navy) for "a few years", was getting out after 4 years but didn't. Poof! Next thing I knew, I had 20 years in. A few regrets but overall, worked out pretty well.

Don't think I would consider the politics of Thailand better than the politics of the U.S....and racism in Thailand flourishes just in a different way than black and white.

Chances are very high you will make significantly less money in whatever job you get in Thailand, which not only impacts your day-to-day "style of living" but also your future retirement savings, benefits, etc--you will grow old and it happens faster than what you think (or want to believe) as a young person.

And unless fluent in Thai, dual Thai-US citizenship will be of little benefit in Thailand regarding what kind of job you can get.

Regarding fluency, I said I AM fluent in the language and can read and write although I lack a lot of the academic terms. I'm not too worried about racism as I'm not dark-skinned, I'm generally regarded as "farang looking."

The politics of Thailand are not better for sure, but in the US everyone is so politically correct that they won't even acknowledge certain things that Thais consider standard, i.e. Thais are more socially conservative as a whole and have better family values, even if there are a few bad apples. People in the US are so obsessed with equality and correctness that they won't admit that a 18-20 year old woman is more attractive than a 40 year old one. (just an example).

About money it's actually not that huge of an issue, I have a not so huge inheritance ( won't specify how much ) but it's definitely enough to live on in Southeast Asia if I'm not spending lavishly left and right.

Yes a career in Thailand is possible.

Generalising:

Thailand is hardly a cutting edge country for most things though. So a long term career for most people will often be more limiting than it could be in US, UK, Singapore, HK etc.

Passing thru on a secondment contract for say 3 years will add to a CV, but once you start going beyond that the value add starts to decline. You could end up a big fish in a small pond, but it's still a small pond.

It's also very useful to have established yourself in a field to some extent before coming here. That way you are bringing global skill sets which are often ahead of where Thailand is. So 5 - 10 years in a career before here can be very useful useful. Starting from scratch in Thailand doesn't really add anything anyone else has here. Also then if you try and move in the opposite direction to US, UK, Europe the skills you have acquired from scatch in Thailand will likely be behind where you go to.

As you get older though you'll realise career isn't everything to everyone and you may have other priorities.

Myself I'd about 10 years experience in my professional field before coming to Thailand. That gave me a value add and skill sets in my field that set me apart from locals. I've also left and returned to keep topping up that experience and CV, to avoid stagnating. These days with a family I don't want to move around so much. So I recognise that staying in Thailand I'm limiting my career, but accept that for family reasons.

Salary-wise I get less than I would in London and SIngapore. On the other hand I earn more than I would get in many other parts of the UK.

Not being Thai will also limit someone's career options in terms of working for Thai companies. Particularly at senior levels. You could be attractive to international companies, but they may want to move you on every few years.

On the self-employed business side, I've known a few people make it from starting up their own businesses and do very well for themselves. That's generally a minority though.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

BTW I'm not a fan of politics and social discrimination either.

In my view, generalising, Thailand remains a very prejudiced country when it comes to race, gender, skin colour and national identity etc. Basically most Thais have their place and are supposed to know it smile.png Hierarchies are important and as a foreigner you don't even fit in those society hierarchies you're outside them. Luk-kreungs are probably somewhere in the middle. Sometimes revered for good looks. Other times seen as not pure Thai.

Society is, however, on the surface more tolerant and less violent about discrimination. However, while maybe at a less obvious and violent level in terms of extreme, I'd say discrimation is more prevalent here than in the UK. Here discrimination often isn't given a second thought, but is more likely to be less extreme.

UK and US we are generally educated that people are or should be equal. Thailand people aren't equal and are expected to know their place.

Of course there are lot of execptions inside and outside Thailand, and nice people everywhere.

Regarding fluency, I said I AM fluent in the language and can read and write although I lack a lot of the academic terms. I'm not too worried about racism as I'm not dark-skinned, I'm generally regarded as "farang looking."

The politics of Thailand are not better for sure, but in the US everyone is so politically correct that they won't even acknowledge certain things that Thais consider standard, i.e. Thais are more socially conservative as a whole and have better family values, even if there are a few bad apples. People in the US are so obsessed with equality and correctness that they won't admit that a 18-20 year old woman is more attractive than a 40 year old one. (just an example).

About money it's actually not that huge of an issue, I have a not so huge inheritance ( won't specify how much ) but it's definitely enough to live on in Southeast Asia if I'm not spending lavishly left and right.

If money is not a big issue, you have somewhere to live, Thai citizenship and you know how to fit in here, why are you even asking the question? Sounds to me like you just want to tell everybody you think that Thai culture and politics are not as bad as they are in the USA, i.e. you're trolling. Just move here and get on with your life doing whatever you want to do. I can't see how a Western education will hold you back: it will be a positive not a negative - why do so many wealthy Thai parents send their children to be educated abroad if this is not the case?

Politics in the USA may seem risible but if you think it's better here, perhaps you haven't read a newspaper in the last 6 or so years. The very fact that I'm not allowed to say what I want to say openly on this topic speaks volumes about it.

OP,

If you can speak and read Thai then get yourself back to Thailand and start working.

If you have a US education I'm sure you'd be able to get a decent job here and earn decent money.

"could go on. Living here is very tiring for me, but I do realize I would never be able to make as much money in Thailand"

No problem making a lot of money in Thailand when/if you are really qualified and sought after.

Net salary and cost of living compensates the inflated gross salary levels seen in the western world.

if you read write thai and english i think any realestate company would jump at the chance to grab you, especially if you can relate to foreigners. you could even start in a car show room. think you have a good shot in thailand. if you have your own accommodation in a good spot you can live here for almost nothing, until you have kids that is. good luck.

Don't think I would consider the politics of Thailand better than the politics of the U.S....and racism in Thailand flourishes just in a different way than black and white.

Chances are very high you will make significantly less money in whatever job you get in Thailand, which not only impacts your day-to-day "style of living" but also your future retirement savings, benefits, etc--you will grow old and it happens faster than what you think (or want to believe) as a young person.

And unless fluent in Thai, dual Thai-US citizenship will be of little benefit in Thailand regarding what kind of job you can get.

"Don't think I would consider the politics of Thailand better than the politics of the U.S....and racism in Thailand flourishes just in a different way than black and white."

Most farang types who are from western countries seem amazingly blind to the amount racism that exists there, along with a number of other -isms. Then when they come to a place like Thailand their eyes are suddenly open to even the most trivial slights, which they interpret as earth shattering racism. Perceived farang loss of face tends to get magnified by those who suddenly find themselves in a minority.

In terms of career opportunities for the O/P, it would probably be better to gain some employment experience in a western country or Japan and then see about using that experience to augment your credentials when job seeking in Thailand, if that is still your goal. If you start on the bottom rung in Thailand first and then either find life here isn't what you expected it to be or don't make the career advancement here that you'd hope for, returning to the west with a CV that only shows low-level work experience in Thailand will not help you in job seeking back in the US or wherever. Even though you might be a US citizen, with only work experience in Thailand you'd probably be regarded on a par with unskilled immigrants and find yourself competing for entry level positions there.

As far as I can see if you have both Thai & US nationality & are fluent in Thai & English all you need to do is start up a translation business on the internet & given a western business mindset you should earn enough money to live in whichever country you like quite quickly,

forget working for someone else in Thailand for a pittance while they make the real money off your back, set up a decent website with some good advertising, pay someone with good recommendations to do it for you if you can't do it yourself, advertising in English & Thai on the net.

This is certainly what I will be encouraging my Thai/UK daughter to do when she's old enough....

I think it is easier to enjoy the basics of life here more than in the USA. Moved here in my late twenties and in my fifties now.

I feel that the rat race of life is easier to get ahold of here. Blink and your old. Here, for me life is almost never mondane. It still continues to be an adventure.

If you don't like living in the USA, you're not living in the right place.

I've lived all over the USA, and some places couldn't get me back on a dare. Other places- I'd go back in a heartbeat.

You may choose different places than I would, but there's something for everyone there.

But if you do decide to try living in Thailand, I'd get it out of my system before age 30 so that you don't have to derail your career during your peak earning years. (And before you're married, but for another reason)

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. The only way the majority of foreign guys enjoy living in Thailand is if they had the money from working in the west.

Regardless of your education you need to gain some experience. I don't see why you can't gain some experience in Thailand as you are young enough now where you can afford to do this for few years. This will also give you a chance to see what it is really like here and if you want to spend the rest of your days here.

If I was you I would give this a try. Why not? Life is not all about money. There are also rich Thais that live here to. You actually have a big advantage over most people here as you can come to Thailand and work without a Work Permit. With a USA educational background you chances of finding a job here is probably better than most also.Starting a business here is probably not much different than starting one in the USA, which requires startup capital and some knowledge or expertise in some field you wish to enter.

The one thing I would look out for and check before I came here is your Military Obligation as a young Thai Man. While in Thailand the government would only see you as a Thai, so being from the USA won't help you here. Not sure if you would be exempt from Military Service but I would certainly check to make sure. Otherwise your 2 years stay here may end up being in the army. , . .

Have you done your Thai military service or r.d. at school? If so, no problem; if not, employment and land ownership will be tricky unless you use your US passport with work permit etc., which kind if defeats the advantage of your Thai citizenship.

Regarding careers, here's my 2 cents and where I'm coming from. I moved here 24 years ago, when I was 23. I worked throughout my 20s, then at 30 got married, moved back to the States and started a family and developed my career. Eventually I made that career portable and brought it back here with me. It was a good gig that lasted 10 years and gave me a US salary (tax free!) at Thai cost of living. Now I'm headed back for my kid to do high school in the US. (I'm not at all impressed with int'l schools here, but that's another topic.) We'll be back in a few years, after junior starts or even finishes university and I can polish up the nest egg for another few years.

Anyway, for someone in your position I would say Thailand is a good place to be an entrepreneur, but a crappy place to be an employee unless you are a valuable team member at a multinational company.

Last, I would encourage you not to dismiss the US entirely yet, although your preferences are understandable. There's a lot of variety, freedom, and openness. Not to mention the legal weed. Finding your niche thete for a while is better, in the long run, than closing that door entirely. Even after many happy years here, I'm looking forward to my return.

Best of luck to you!

Archived