3BB internet ?!?!?!?

susanschwaiger

Hallo,

We live in VTR6 and use 3BB. Hub installed sth as shown in the attached pic and we have 2 wifi..... But, recently, both of them are slow like hell !!!! Specially when I use overseas website and outlook...

This is really killing me ..... Unbearable

Is this the problem of our condo (more people much slower ?), or with 3BB? Shall I change it to TOT ?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

post-125519-0-14254200-1468209863_thumb.

From your description (and the slow response to the thread) it sounds like it IS a 3BB problem specific to your condo/neighborhood.

No other slow internet whining thread today tongue.png

Change provider? Roll the dice.

I know it can be difficult to get in contact with other people in such a condo.

But it would probably the only chance to get useful hints.

Is there a bulletin board that you could use?

Do the obvious (if not done anyway) and power down/power cycle all equipment to exclude a temporary problem.

This 3BB router is a very basic model and might well have problems with continuous operation (24/7).

Can you name an example for a slow international site?

Can you do a test with a LAN cable connection?

There was a topic about True internet on the dark side was very slow no long time ago.

It seems to me that the speed vary a lot depending on location and not so much on the provider. I suggest you talk to other people in your condo and ask them what provider they use and if the I-net is working most of the time or endless problems. Also the service vary a lot, Banlamung cable TV pulled a new cable from the road to my house for free and I only had to pay for the cable. They also come to my house on the same day I contact them in the seldom cases I got problems, but okay I always give them 100 baht tip which they didn't forgot, he-he. In Thailand a small tip helps a lot getting things happen quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The biggest drama of changing providers is that you have to sign a (year) contract and pay for installation... and you may well be no better off. Don't cancel your existing provider until you've tested out the new one. You also need to consider the package you're on - if it's the bargain basement (cheapest) package the contention ratio is high, so if a few bandwidth hogs have moved into your vicinity you could be out of luck - permanently. 3BB have the more expensive packages that don't have as much sharing (maybe 5 compared to 20+). Before changing providers it could be worth changing your package.

There's only one sure bet - CAT. They won't leave you in the lurch like this wondering what's going on and having to post about your problems instead of getting the information from your provider.

The biggest drama of changing providers is that you have to sign a (year) contract and pay for installation... and you may well be no better off. Don't cancel your existing provider until you've tested out the new one. You also need to consider the package you're on - if it's the bargain basement (cheapest) package the contention ratio is high, so if a few bandwidth hogs have moved into your vicinity you could be out of luck - permanently. 3BB have the more expensive packages that don't have as much sharing (maybe 5 compared to 20+). Before changing providers it could be worth changing your package.

There's only one sure bet - CAT. They won't leave you in the lurch like this wondering what's going on and having to post about your problems instead of getting the information from your provider.

CAT controls the internet international trunk line and all the other internet providers basically are just reselling the CAT service...so whatever speed CAT has it's the same with resellers like TOT or 3BB.

You only have to sign a 1 year contract if you're a shifty foreigner ?...if the housebook or condo is in a Thai name you can pay monthly. (Can also get a Thainfriend to front for you and get monthly payments).

CAT controls the internet international trunk line and all the other internet providers basically are just reselling the CAT service...so whatever speed CAT has it's the same with resellers like TOT or 3BB.

You only have to sign a 1 year contract if you're a shifty foreigner ?...if the housebook or condo is in a Thai name you can pay monthly. (Can also get a Thainfriend to front for you and get monthly payments).

"so whatever speed CAT has it's the same with resellers like TOT or 3BB"....

Not really. The most speed the resellers can get are CAT's speed, if they can manage it... then there's the reliability issue and customer service, which is non-existent with most resellers such as TOT or 3BB.

I can't remember a day in 2 years where my speed hasn't been exactly what I pay for. On the odd occasion there was a problem, it was system wide and taken care of quickly... within hours.

CAT went even further in their contract for foreigners... they require 6 months paid in advance for new contracts. I didn't need to pay it as an existing subscriber. It's not about foreigners being treated unfairly, it's commonsense that foreigners are more likely to disappear at any time and leave the country mid-contract, bills unpaid. Obviously many have, making them stricter with new contracts. They usually don't cut off your service until the 2nd month is unpaid. They are not competitive on price, although their current entry level Fiber Optic package is good value IMO considering their better reliability and customer service.

I browse Chinese websites a lot due to my study and work. Now, I can only do these in the morning, when the speed is Ok. After lunch time, these webpages hang on and on before they can open....And in the evenings, they are the worst!

A friend said he has a house that uses 3BB and the speed is great.... I wonder maybe that the difference, A house and a condominium?

Hub also guessed maybe there is some problem with the fiber connecting to China ? He uses VPN to watch EU TV... Maybe I shall also install one and see how it goes.

Remember I know very little about PC stuff..facepalm.gif..

I had the same 3BB wifi router, it failed, took it back and was told they don't supply them any more. They are 150Mbps.

Was told to go and by a D-Link (DSL-2750E), which is 300Mbps, they gave me the code and password for the shop to set the thing up for 3BB, which they did and it works great for any device around the house..

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Last time, hub said there was problem with this 3BB router. Then I brought it to 3BB office and they checked and told me it has no problem...

No wonder my hub said "they have no clue!"

If anything a VPN will slow the connection even more. Most likely, it's the bad phone lines in your condo building. Did 3BB install a new DSL line from their local junction box (maybe in your building) direct to your room? If the line is ok, make sure you have the more expensive "international" plan, which gives more bandwith to sites outside Thailand.

If it's still slow, it could be the router. The "free" ones 3BB gives out are crap and in any case, something that's on 24/7 and gets very hot does just wear out. You could get a new more powerful router for a few thousand baht at any computer store. Just make sure it's a "modem-router" and not just a router so you can connect 3BB's ADSL line.

I browse Chinese websites a lot due to my study and work. Now, I can only do these in the morning, when the speed is Ok

Well that's a special one.

I just took some sites from this list of "popular" ones:

https://www.similarweb.com/country/china

I just tried these (10:40 Thai time) and they all worked well (sites loading with multi MBit/s).

Not creeping.

(I am not in Pattaya and not on 3BB)

http://iqiyi.com

http://sports.sina.com.cn

http://news.sina.com.cn

http://autohome.com.cn

http://www.zol.com.cn/

I can try again later in the day.

Study and work: to me there is still a chance that the problem is overloaded servers in China?

To find out whether your 3BB connection has a general problem with international connections specific tests would have to be done.

E.g. with http://testmy.net/

Thanks guys!

We don't have ADSL line in our home. Router is connected to plug on wall.

Could be below reasons:

1. Router too crap

2. Router running for too long

3. Condo problem, general line etc. (Indeed our Condo is very badly managed. During the stormy season, the power is often hit off)

4. Server problems in China.

5. VPN.. hmmm, hub only uses in evenings but the wifi speed is already slow after lunch time.

6. 3BB package problem

Need keep observing for a while then can dig out smile.png)))

Only had one blip with Sophon in 4 years, think you should be able to get that in VT, its always on,,stable speeds, connection never drops out for a few seconds like 3BB used to, not cheap at B990 a month, but i am overall very satisfied with it

Only had one blip with Sophon in 4 years, think you should be able to get that in VT, its always on,,stable speeds, connection never drops out for a few seconds like 3BB used to, not cheap at B990 a month, but i am overall very satisfied with it

Can you share the details of your Sophon plan? I can only find fiber optic plans on their web site (FTTN, FTTH). Do they offer DOCSIS (Cable) and/or ADSL? Also, they don't list download speeds.

I browse Chinese websites a lot due to my study and work. Now, I can only do these in the morning, when the speed is Ok. After lunch time, these webpages hang on and on before they can open....And in the evenings, they are the worst!

A friend said he has a house that uses 3BB and the speed is great.... I wonder maybe that the difference, A house and a condominium?

Hub also guessed maybe there is some problem with the fiber connecting to China ? He uses VPN to watch EU TV... Maybe I shall also install one and see how it goes.

One thing you haven't yet mentioned - what package you are subscribed to? It does make a difference. Whatever package you're paying for is the maximum speed you can expect, not a guarantee. Unless you have a private line, which will cost you a fortune, all other services are shared. Even my 5842 baht per month CAT service is shared and the speed is not guaranteed.

What I'm not sure of is who you share with. Do we share with others on the same package, or any others using your ISP in the area? I suspect if you're paying for the cheapest service you're sharing with others on the same package - which will be most subscribers.

I also used 3BB and the Maxnet service before they changed - for about 8 years. I never had the cheap package, but the premium package, and I seldom had problems with that. It was about 3 times the price of the cheapest package. In fact, until I changed to CAT fiber 2 years ago I always had at least 2 different adsl ISP services from 2 different companies. Near the end of my adsl days I used a software program called Speedify to join them up.

I don't think it's valid to use the "my friend in such and such an area is on the same service but has more speed" logic because he could be sharing his service with less people who don't chew up as much bandwidth.

LOL> 990 baht/month is not cheap? I used Sophon for a couple of months at 2 different times. I was paying a lot more than that. I haven't seen their packages lately, but they used to be exactly the same price, baht for baht, with the identical CAT packages, delivered only though coaxial cable. They have month by month packages, so they are good for a try if you don't want to commit.

I just tried these (10:40 Thai time) and they all worked well (sites loading with multi MBit/s).

Not creeping.

(I am not in Pattaya and not on 3BB)

http://iqiyi.com

http://sports.sina.com.cn

http://news.sina.com.cn

http://autohome.com.cn

http://www.zol.com.cn/

For what it's worth, all those load correctly for me on 3BB at 9.30am

Can you share the details of your Sophon plan? I can only find fiber optic plans on their web site (FTTN, FTTH). Do they offer DOCSIS (Cable) and/or ADSL? Also, they don't list download speeds.

They only do fibre, though depending on where you live and how much you pay the "last mile" will be coax cable rather than fibre.

I see prices and speeds here: http://sbnnet.co.th/residential.html

Thanks guys!

We don't have ADSL line in our home. Router is connected to plug on wall.

Could be below reasons:

1. Router too crap

2. Router running for too long

3. Condo problem, general line etc. (Indeed our Condo is very badly managed. During the stormy season, the power is often hit off)

4. Server problems in China.

5. VPN.. hmmm, hub only uses in evenings but the wifi speed is already slow after lunch time.

6. 3BB package problem

You do have an ADSL line. That wall socket you mention is connected to it.

The 3BB router is suitable for normal domestic use and it works quite well. It would not be suitable for intensive use with multiple devices.

Before testing any of your equipment, first turn it ALL off and then all on again starting with the router.

Log into the modem status page of your router (details on the underside) and see what it reports as your down and up sync speeds. If these are not what you are paying for (typically 15/1) then you have a problem. Also check the SNR and attenuation figures, and the number of error packets. These figures will tell you all you need to know about the quality of your line.

I have found 3BB to be very prompt to repair faults on the very rare occasions I have needed to contact them over the last couple of years.

CAT went even further in their contract for foreigners... they require 6 months paid in advance for new contracts. I didn't need to pay it as an existing subscriber. It's not about foreigners being treated unfairly, it's commonsense that foreigners are more likely to disappear at any time and leave the country mid-contract, bills unpaid. Obviously many have, making them stricter with new contracts.

Hmm. Thai logic. Who is more likely to do a moonlight flit without paying for his ADSL: a farang who owns his own condo or a Thai in a rented apartment? I know which one my money would be on, if I had to gamble.

Personally I always pay a year upfront as that way I get the 8% discount.

This was on their website, where were you looking?

post-249480-0-86750500-1468389466_thumb.

That's the cheapest 3BB package. 590 + tax = 632.

More than 2 years old could mean something like 7 up / 1 down MBit/s or so.

A bad legacy as you get better rates/connection today for the same price e.g. 20 / 4 VDSL for 590.

Check with the condo about other ISP options (available or not?).

Then contact 3BB about their possible options (ADSL, VDSL. Fibre).

Be aware that in many condos only a limited selection (or only one) ISP is available wink.png

The popular Chinese sites from post #12 still load fine for me at this moment (ToT fibre).

To get an idea about the speed of your internet.

This is a very simple one click speed test to a German server.

It's in German language but probably still readable.

Click on the blue "Test starten" button.

http://avm.de/nc/service/zack-der-speedtest-fuer-ihre-breitbandverbindung/

Mu current results:

Pingzeit: 275,00 ms

Downloadrate: 16,517 MBit/s

Uploadrate: 7,493 MBit/s

CAT went even further in their contract for foreigners... they require 6 months paid in advance for new contracts. I didn't need to pay it as an existing subscriber. It's not about foreigners being treated unfairly, it's commonsense that foreigners are more likely to disappear at any time and leave the country mid-contract, bills unpaid. Obviously many have, making them stricter with new contracts.

Hmm. Thai logic. Who is more likely to do a moonlight flit without paying for his ADSL: a farang who owns his own condo or a Thai in a rented apartment? I know which one my money would be on, if I had to gamble.

A foreigner in a rented apartment would be more likely to run than anyone else IMO.

They probably have an exception for foreigners who own their apartment. I rent.

A foreigner in a rented apartment would be more likely to run than anyone else IMO.

They apply the rule blindly, as one might expect here. As I mentioned, it doesnt bother me as I pay the year in advance anyway for the discount it gets me.

They apply the rule blindly, as one might expect here. As I mentioned, it doesnt bother me as I pay the year in advance anyway for the discount it gets me.

I'm currently paying just over 70k a year for Internet. I wouldn't want to invest that much to get a discount as I never know when I'm going to leave.

tested. Our 3bb package speed is supposed to be 10M, but the report shows Download 260kbps, Upload 1.3 Mbps. Scored only 4% of the average speed.

Who can open this link now: js.189.cn This is a tele com website of my hometown. Just want to check how much they charge for different speed.

The Chinese websites I browse are not at all the popular sites. They are mainly medical/health sites and language learning sites....

I've printed out the test report and will go to 3BB to ask first.

Archived