portable generators

Mekong Bob

I had one of the cheap gasoline-powered Chinese generators from HomePro in my last house (further south where power outages were more common than CM)- about 12K baht (I don't remember the output, but the ones in that price range were all about the same)- it would power the fridge, some lights, a fan, the TV, computer, modem, water pump, etc (no A/C) without an issue, and would start on the first or second pull every time. It got used over 12 hours per day on occasion without missing a beat (other than when it ran dry). I was amazed it worked so well, really.

There are certainly better, quieter ones available, but I had no complaints about mine.

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2016 at 12:25 PM, flare said:

I had one of the cheap gasoline-powered Chinese generators from HomePro in my last house (further south where power outages were more common than CM)- about 12K baht (I don't remember the output, but the ones in that price range were all about the same)- it would power the fridge, some lights, a fan, the TV, computer, modem, water pump, etc (no A/C) without an issue, and would start on the first or second pull every time. It got used over 12 hours per day on occasion without missing a beat (other than when it ran dry). I was amazed it worked so well, really.

There are certainly better, quieter ones available, but I had no complaints about mine.

Curious?... How did you connect the generator to your house electric system? - Include photos if possible;-)

38 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Curious?... How did you connect the generator to your house electric system? - Include photos if possible;-)

I no longer have the generator (I left it in the house when I moved), but I had an 'electrician' (basically a handyman;)) hook it up to an A/C outlet and circuit breaker (couple hundred in parts from HomePro) and then just ran an extension cord from the storage room to the house, and plugged stuff in.  It worked great (WAY better than I expected)- I would keep adding things (nothing major, like an air conditioner, but some bigger stuff like the water pump) waiting for it to be overloaded, but it was never an issue.  As I mentioned, it was noisy, but it was money well-spent.

11 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Pity the poor PEA guy repairing a supposedly dead line when that genset sends power down the line

My set-up was completely independent of the PEA line as much as if I were running stuff on batteries- it wasn't even connected to the house's circuit board.  It was simple (though a bit messy with running the various extension cords), and worked great.  It would run about eight hours on a full tank, which would cover major outages and scheduled maintenance when the power was cut for the day.

2 hours ago, flare said:

My set-up was completely independent of the PEA line as much as if I were running stuff on batteries- it wasn't even connected to the house's circuit board.  It was simple (though a bit messy with running the various extension cords), and worked great.  It would run about eight hours on a full tank, which would cover major outages and scheduled maintenance when the power was cut for the day.

That is the way that I read your post.

The generator was completely independent from the house wiring via long extension cords, That is the way I have planned to do it unless I win the lottery and get a generator big enoigh to run the whole house electrics via an automatic transfer switch.

Archived