Taking vehicle back to UK

Hel123

Hi Guys,

I purchased a new Nissan Navara NP300 Auto Double Cab from the Nissan dealership in Pattaya - I'm very pleased with the vehicle.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I'm returning to the UK ad am thinking of taking the vehicle back to the UK.

I realise there will be various costs but if I sell it here I'm guessing I'll take a big loss hence

Continued.....

Hi Guys,

I purchased a new Nissan Navara NP300 Auto Double Cab from the Nissan dealership in Pattaya - I'm very pleased with the vehicle.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I'm returning to the UK ad am thinking of taking the vehicle back to the UK.

I realise there will be various costs but if I sell it here I'm guessing I'll take a big loss hence I'm considering this option.

Any ideas on who can ship it to the UK ?

I paid 816,000 Bahts and it's got 4500kms on the clock.

Any idea what I would get for it if I sold it here ?

I'm trying to decide which is my best option.

Thanks

H

This subject comes up regularly, but for your own satisfaction do a couple of searches and you will find that the overwhelming response will be. Don't do it! More trouble that it's worth.

This subject comes up regularly, but for your own satisfaction do a couple of searches and you will find that the overwhelming response will be. Don't do it! More trouble that it's worth.

You do realise he is talking of EXPORTING his truck OUT of Thailand and not the other way round ?

You will be surprised at how little vehicles in Thailand lose compared to the UK. Sell it there and buy another when you get back. Cars here are a fraction of what they fetch back there. I looked at a used fully loaded Porsche Cayenne in great condition, two owners and 80,000 on the clock for £7000 or 315,000 Thai Baht. A lot of motor for the money thumbsup.gif

You do realise he is talking of EXPORTING his truck OUT of Thailand and not the other way round ?

You will be surprised at how little vehicles in Thailand lose compared to the UK. Sell it there and buy another when you get back. Cars here are a fraction of what they fetch back there. I looked at a used fully loaded Porsche Cayenne in great condition, two owners and 80,000 on the clock for £7000 or 315,000 Thai Baht. A lot of motor for the money thumbsup.gif

Yes, I do realise, and the question gets asked for both importing and exporting, and either way it's a losing deal.

Sell it for whatever you can get in Thailand.

Next time remember, better to rent.

I'm sure he didn't buy when he knew he would have to return to the UK. I've been here over 6 years, not sure if renting all that time would have been a good idea.

Thanks Guys,

Correct, when I purchased the vehicle our intentions were to be here long term - I won't bore you with the details.

Based on what I'm reading it appears that selling here in Thailand is the best option.

That leads me to the next questions:-

What price do I put on it ?

Do I advertise on here or Bahtsold?

Do I put in Auction in Bangkok ?

Thanks again for the advice - Really appreciated.

H

Thanks Guys,

Correct, when I purchased the vehicle our intentions were to be here long term - I won't bore you with the details.

Based on what I'm reading it appears that selling here in Thailand is the best option.

H

Obviously you will get a better price with a private sale, but it won't hurt to visit a few car dealers just to see what they'll offer and give you an idea of what you can ask. Which would be at least 100,000 more than a dealer will give you I'd imagine.

Every country has a 6 inch thick book of standards imported vehicles must comply with including windscreen composition, headlamp output, exhaust emmissions, ect, ect, ect: on and on. Because compliance with all these rules adds costs to the cars, manufacturers don't put things needed in the UK on cars destined to be sold in Thailand. Wiper blades in Thailand don't have to be built to withstand ice and snow, for instance.

The expense of complying could be huge. I believe only certified antiques and specialty vehicles are exempt.

Yep, duty, VAT, shipping etc. As mentioned, sell up and take advantage of the current exchange rate. Having said that they are a lot more expensive over there new. Though probably less than what I would have got for a private sale, I found Toyota offered me a lot more for my pickup than any yard and paid cash.

Thanks Guys,

H

I recently sold a car.

Didn't bother taking to car dealers/tents, I'm sure that, just as back in the UK, the price they offer will be well below market.

I listed it online in a few places (all free), here they are ordered by the number enquiries:

Facebook group bangkok expats - 5 or so enquiries; car sold via this group.

Craigslist - couple of calls, one viewing

one2car website - one call, after it had sold already

Thai visa - nothing

taladrod - nothing

You could also try

Kaidee

bahtsold

most threads are about IMPORTING to Thailand - there are some EXPORT threads but they are not so common.

Navaras are available in UK - they are made in Spain.

on the previous model the suspension of the Euro model was significantly different.

Possible problems you need to look into include.....

duties

This is a permanent import of a personal vehicle - I think you have to have owned the vehicle for a certain period and you are not allowed to sell it in UK for a fixed period either.

There may otherwise be duties

duties may change over the next few years due to Brexit but at present they are in line with EU requirements.

roadworthy?

the next problem is to certify the vehicle conforms to UK emissions and other roadworthy standards - lights brakes etc - this may not be a straightforward as you think

Does the vehicle have a heater fitted? - This is a major modification for when you get home. There are some exporters who do this but the one I contacted had stopped.

price - the Navara is cheaper in Thailand because it is built here in a protected market, there is much less duty to pay (VAT etc) and you will find that the specifications are a lot less on the Thai model.

In the end you may be better off looking into how much this vehicle would cost in the UK - (although pickups are exceptionally expensive in the Uk) - before shelling out shipping costs, duties and modifications to your Thai model.

BTW - if it is a 4x4 you need to look at the various 4WD systems fitted - you may find the UK models have a different system (e.g. central diff)

Edited by cumgranosalum

most threads are about IMPORTING to Thailand - there are some EXPORT threads but they are not so common.

It's a hassle either way, importing or exporting.

If you have owned and used it in Thailand for 6 months, it seems you would be VAT exempt as a personal import. See 5.1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-3-bringing-your-belongings-pets-and-private-motor-vehicles-to-uk-from-outside-the-eu/notice-3-bringing-your-belongings-pets-and-private-motor-vehicles-to-uk-from-outside-the-eu#moving-to-or-returning-to-the-uk-on-tor

You would need to do more research on obtaining a type approval certificate. Might be useful info here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/

Soni Motors Thailand may be able to offer advice.