Another impressive Karaoke bill in the news.

mamborobert

Seems the Karaoke scams are still going well in Chiang Mai. This is an from a Bangkok Newspaper. For one guy who had been in Thailand for a few years, spoke decent enough Thai, and stayed for four hours, total bill 47000 Baht. Now I really do not have a problem with the bill so much excessive though it may be. If he went in an occupied the time of many ladies for 4 hours, plus drinks, nibbles, etc he was going to be up for some serious baht....but 47000 is impressive. The thing that irritates me on this is there is an abundance of info on these scams in Chiang Mai....simply stay away from them in CM.. Likewise upstairs Patpong....well known.

https://www.facebook.com/team.news007/videos/1138522909537898/

What does strike me as odd is that it seems to happen only in Chiang Mai, or much more regularly in Chiang Mai, and bills are enormously higher in Chiang Mai....just my experience. I do go to Karaokes in CM but mainly the smaller hole in the wall places and have never had a problem....the larger venues I stay away from like the plague. Larger venues in other cities never had a problem.

Bright side is that there was no violence this time. If there are "good" larger Karaoke clubs surely they suffer by association from the violence and bill disputes. I am aware of some Karaokes that are owned by BIB.

So my questions....is this scam just a CM thing.....does violence only occur at those venues without BIB ownership and therefore access to a sympathetic dispute resolution person, is the BIB resolution phase just a CM revenue earner, and is this because there is in CM a lager amount of establishments owned by BIB?

It just seems to be so much more common here in CM than elsewhere.

this is old. i read this and saw it on the C.M. news about 6-8 month ago or more.

But it's the new record....

The account my wife read indicated 2 hours & no "using" of the ladies...The video at the police station looked to be in broad daylight - timing wise.....

It is about the only big scam in Chiang Mai that I know of that affects tourists, and that I warn people about. It's a pity that it is allowed to tarnish this fair city's name.

Searching 'Scam' here on Thai Visa Chiang Mai may give a very different impression, but I'm talking about amounts in excess of 10 baht.

(My search result included topics on the price of shaving foam and Songthaews, neither of which have made the national press or attracted the attention of the local constabulary, which is scandalous in itself)

wine in a box (if you could call it that) is a scam...many just don't know better...same for Kraft cheese at 1 thb per gram.....

And for some strange reason it doesn't even make the national press, never mind the world press. Have you tried contacting your local representative at the Embassy?

I like Karaoke & can sing and good at it - but in CM there is no way to know what you're walking into.....

When in the PI it was like a national sport & safe....A lot of good natured singing & competition there...Lot's of invitations.....

Wish it were that way here....We have a home system but it's not as much fun without folks around or others to sing/dance/listen to/do requests.....

The "gem scam"is alive and well in BKK...it was covered in the 1989 edition of Lonely Planet Guide. "The Palace is closed today," has itself never taken a holiday.

For that to be happening in such a high-profile place for all these years is disgraceful. The fact that it is blemishing the image of such a revered and important land-mark in the most-visited tourist place in Bangkok, in full view of police and security, still dumbfounds me. Scams in places with scantily-clad women and with bouncers on the door is no big surprise, but outside the Grand Palace!!

And as for Kraft cheese at 1b per gram ........... I need to lie down.

I like Karaoke & can sing and good at it - but in CM there is no way to know what you're walking into.....

When in the PI it was like a national sport & safe....A lot of good natured singing & competition there...Lot's of invitations.....

Wish it were that way here....We have a home system but it's not as much fun without folks around or others to sing/dance/listen to/do requests.....

That's funny. You've highlighted the single biggest problem with Karaoke singers - everybody thinks they're good at it, when in reality they couldn't be further from the truth!! The very idea behind Karaoke bars was to let people who think they can sing do so in the company of fellow delusionists, thus saving the rest of us from the agony. So long as you're happy and only 'perform', hidden away in such places, I'm fine with that.

What is your big number? Not 'MY Way', I hope.

Perhaps Internet forums serve a similar purpose? They allow people who think they are clever but in reality are far from it, to make stupid statements in an environment where we can walk away and leave them to it if we want.

Did I mention that Karaoke singers are sometimes quite sensitive about their singing abilities and take any criticism of their pastime way too seriously? Even if it is said in jest.

Yours is "My Way", isn't it?

It is about the only big scam in Chiang Mai that I know of that affects tourists, and that I warn people about. It's a pity that it is allowed to tarnish this fair city's name.

Searching 'Scam' here on Thai Visa Chiang Mai may give a very different impression, but I'm talking about amounts in excess of 10 baht.

There's a hiring out m/cs and bicycles then stealing them back overnight using duplicate keys scam still going.

You pay the replacement cost of a new one, they rent the 'stolen' one out again after you've gone home.

There's a hiring out m/cs and bicycles then stealing them back overnight using duplicate keys scam still going.

You pay the replacement cost of a new one, they rent the 'stolen' one out again after you've gone home.

I remember that one from the old days - usually the smaller places on Moon Muang if I remember rightly, but hadn't heard of it for quite a while. I'll pass it on if I hear of people hiring bikes. Thanks for the heads up. Without naming places, any idea as to where to avoid?

Padlocking your hire-bike with your own lock used to be the advice.

That's funny. You've highlighted the single biggest problem with Karaoke singers - everybody thinks they're good at it, when in reality they couldn't be further from the truth!! The very idea behind Karaoke bars was to let people who think they can sing do so in the company of fellow delusionists, thus saving the rest of us from the agony. So long as you're happy and only 'perform', hidden away in such places, I'm fine with that.

What is your big number? Not 'MY Way', I hope.

I've done well enough to be asked to sit in judging some talent shows in the PI....Sitting on a 4 person panel with the Mayor of Manila & the Mayor of Angeles at a large event in one instance.....

I realize most everyone thinks that they can sing & agree with your observation.....For some reason I'm able to......But I've not got the type of personality that clamors for the spotlight or attention.....

any idea

Ask your father.

I just popped out to take the missus to work and I was initially thinking of asking you for a clue because my Dad would have no idea what I was talking about, and then the penny dropped. Thanks for the tip, because I have recommended places to hire bikes to people before, and it appears my perceptions of some of the places I suggested may have been wrong.

wine in a box (if you could call it that) is a scam...many just don't know better...same for Kraft cheese at 1 thb per gram.....

Anybody who buys wine in a box deserves everything they get.

You obviously have no idea of what you're talking about.

I can buy a good red or white wine, 5 litres, in a box for around AU$12 to AU$15.00 in Australia.

Same wine sold here, but somewhat different price.

Not everything has to come in a glass bottle, and even the French are using cask technology.

it must have been the Kraft Slices on the nibblies , that's wot dunn it

Oh yeah, btw, Kraft Slices is not actually real cheese anyway - it is synthetic - like Chinese eggs.

(hold it over a lit match, and it does not melt as a real cheese does, but singes like plastic)

... is there but nothing sacred from the scammers?

Perhaps Internet forums serve a similar purpose? They allow people who think they are clever but in reality are far from it, to make stupid statements in an environment where we can walk away and leave them to it if we want.

Did I mention that Karaoke singers are sometimes quite sensitive about their singing abilities and take any criticism of their pastime way too seriously? Even if it is said in jest.

Yours is "My Way", isn't it?

Believe it or not Frank Sinatra's 'My Way' is actually banned by law in the Philippines,as bizarrely it has led to many local-local shootings in recent history!

I notice in the video the chief perpetrator of the scam is one of those awful 'Toms',it makes me cringe every time I see one of these strange,man-hating creatures,they look like Gollum from Lord of the Rings!

47,000 baht for 4 hours....must have been one hell of a good time.

Not sure if he thought he was getting the "Thai local " price ,

It appears not....all over Facebook this one with hundreds of Thai people

also condemning this blatant scam from stand over merchants.

Cash is flying everywhere much to the punters dismay.

It might be time for the Thai military to get involved in cleaning up this scam. For some reason the police haven't been able to do much about it. Sooner or later some of our Chinese tourist are going to wonder into one of these joints and get beaten up badly or killed, maybe then someone will start to look at it more seriously.

Archived