Chinese skimmer caught red handed at Central Lat Prao

webfact

Chinese skimmer caught red handed at Central Lat Prao

s1p.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- Police arrested a Chinese man with a fake ATM card as he left Central Plaza Lat Prao yesterday. He is part of a larger skimmer gang operating in Bangkok and the surrounding areas.

He had been in the department store buying phones with the card. He had used a fake Chinese passport when making the purchases, reported Thairath.

Liw Day, 43, said he had been in Thailand since April staying in Huay Kwang and was paid by gang members to steal expensive items with fake cards. He is thought to be responsible for theft in the range of 100,000 baht.

The gang is believed to be using the data from customers in Europe and the US to get cash from cash machines and buy goods in Thailand.

The suspect was taken to Pahonyothin station for processing as police expand their inquiry.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-13

Lately a lot of cases have been reported with card fraud at ATMs.
Apparently the ATM card system is not secure.
The real fraud figure must be very high and from the banks you can hear nothing.
I will stick to my simple savingsbook.

I lived in China for 13 years before coming here. Skimming was always a problem. I got into the habit of never using ATM or debit card.....just go into bank and withdraw in person. Here In Thailand I do the same thing....safer that way.

unfortunately this is the situation of the day. crime is taking many

different forms.

there seems to be race between financial service providers and

fraudster with the former trying to provide different levels of security and the latter

trying to beat the system.

police enforcement of course helps to moderate escalation of crime.