New Visa Rules

SORRY POSTED IN WRONG FORUMBeen discussing this old topic with friends, I also went to Chiang Mai Immigration. I am more confused than before. I asked how the new rules would effect me, as they recommended me to change to retirement last year. Last year I made it very easily, in fact the officer almost pushed me to change from Marriage status. Stating it is much less paperwork and better for me. Now this year they are saying, firstly the bank account should be my name only, that wasn’t mentioned last year. 2nd the money 800 000 should be in the bank 3 months before, date of application. I am 58 years old, according to the new rules that puts me between 55 and 60, therefore should only need to show 500 000. The officer told me, much better to show 800 000. So to me that means the are not following there own rules? Here’s one from my friend, would like some feed back if possible.

I meet the criteria for the Thai wife support anyway.

Would it be possible or even a good idea to try for a child support visa?

The terminology changed on October 1st: the reason for extension is no longer for “support”, but “to live with”

To live with your wife – 7.17(6) – the income can be earned by you, by your wife, or be a combination of both.

To live with your child – 7.17(5) – neither needs to support the other. No proof of income required. Immigration does not need to know who pays for whose expenses. Here, child does not mean a minor; your child could be 40 years old.

Possible to change from one reason for extension to the other? Yes, when the time comes for your next application for extension

Cheers I don’t apply until January, maybe they will change again before then :o

Unless you are grandfatheed from the old 55/60 age system of a decade ago (which does not seem the case) I can not find any rule that changes the requirement 800k for retirement. Only if you have off setting income/pension would the requirement be lower. Age over 50 the requirement is 800k or 65k pension or a combination.

Others have also been advised, if using bank deposit for proof, it must be in there name only.

The 3 month bank requirement is new.

If you have child you should be able to use that route but have not heard from anyone who has done so reporting on the forum yet.

If you have child you should be able to use that route but have not heard from anyone who has done so reporting on the forum yet.

We have done this. Just need the birth certificate.

meet the criteria for the Thai wife support anyway.

Would it be possible or even a good idea to try for a child support visa?

You are not supporting your child. You are living with them. why you do not need money or income to be shown.

I am 58 years old, according to the new rules that puts me between 55 and 60, therefore should only need to show 500 000.

This is if you have been "grandfather in" ( have been approved for the extension of stay based on retirement before they changed it, prior to October 21st 1998.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks, Sunbelt. This is the confirmation I have been waiting for. I shall apply under this clause in February.

For your client, did you have to show the original birth certificate of the child, or just a copy? (I plan to bring both)

Was it approved immediately, or was there an “under consideration” period?

---------------

Maestro

It was a orginal birth certificate and a copy. It was change to a "O" visa. The extension in 90 days should be approved for one year, the same day.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks, Sunbelt. This is the confirmation I have been waiting for. I shall apply under this clause in February.

For your client, did you have to show the original birth certificate of the child, or just a copy? (I plan to bring both)

Was it approved immediately, or was there an “under consideration” period?

---------------

Maestro

I would continue with the retirement 800k if they/and you do not have a problem with the joint account (as they know it is your wife expect they can be less strict than in some other cases). If that is a problem use the child provision where no money is required (although they probably will never have done one at the time you apply so could be interesting). If all else fails there is nothing preventing you obtaining a new visa and starting over with the account in your name only as a last resort. Don't believe you have much to worry about.

Thanks Lopburi3 I just get confused with those people, but usually when the wife and Son in front of them. They act differently, plus its my 4th extention this year. Ive been using that immigration office since 1998 Cheers