Bus company promises much improved service as new fleet unveiled

webfact

Bus company promises much improved service as new fleet unveiled

s2a.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- The National Bus Company has promised inter city bus customers a vastly improved service after they unveiled part of a new fleet of spacious vehicles to be used on several routes, reported Thairath.

The company is desperate to compete with low cost airlines who have been eating into their customer base in recent years.

The new vehicles have better designed more comfortable seats. There will be big screen TVs showing the latest movies and popular sports shows. Free Wi-Fi will be a standard feature sure to please many customers.

First routes to benefit from the new vehicles will be services out of Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Mae Sot and Nakorn Panom.

Omsin Chiwapreuk said that despite the economic downturn it is important that the bus company keeps up to date and improves its service so that it can compete with the budget low cost airlines.

Plans are also in place to remodel the Mo Chit 2 bus station in Bangkok. There will be a three storey structure modeled on the likes of bus stations in New York and Tokyo.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-15

Perhaps people wouldn't flee to low cost airlines if there wasn't a very real risk of death every time they boarded one of these death traps?

I see addressing the horrific safety record of these buses isn't part of the plan to increase patronage...

Shameless and clueless.

Edited by jamesbrock

Exactly, nothing really wrong with the current buses, it's the safety record that's the problem. I would've said TESLA technology might be a good alternative investment, except that's getting a bad press at the moment.

New buses would be a good thing, the fleets from various companies are indeed getting a bit long in the teeth.

But maybe, just maybe, a speed governor relating by GPS to the traject the bus is on would be advisable.

And don't forget driver education to get rid of aggressive driving.

And most of all, please get rid of the vans and their idiot, criminal, pilots......

I will use the train.

Mor chit?

Building plans?

Thought the whole shebang was going to be moved to new premises?

Edited by hansnl

I see from the photo that these new buses are MAN vehicles. German manufacture and are generally regarded as very reliable. I wonder how much of the vehicle itself is actually the original German component. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the 'MAN' portion comprises only of the engine and chassis. The rest of the bodywork could well be all that flimsy chromium, glass and gaudy paintwork that the Thais are so fond of.

Hardly any proper reinforcing of th body structure whatsoever, any accident more serious than a scrape and the bodywork crumples like a plastic bag.

I did note however that the seats are fitted with safety belts. A step in the right direction.

New buses would be a good thing, the fleets from various companies are indeed getting a bit long in the teeth.

But maybe, just maybe, a speed governor relating by GPS to the traject the bus is on would be advisable.

And don't forget driver education to get rid of aggressive driving.

And most of all, please get rid of the vans and their idiot, criminal, pilots......

I will use the train.

Mor chit?

Building plans?

Thought the whole shebang was going to be moved to new premises?

"I will use the train."

Not if you're going to Mae Sot, Phuket or Nakhon Phanom you won't.

If they hire professional, well trained drivers who have been screened for past performance it may just be better,...........................until the first crash of a new bus.

I see from the photo that these new buses are MAN vehicles. German manufacture and are generally regarded as very reliable. I wonder how much of the vehicle itself is actually the original German component. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the 'MAN' portion comprises only of the engine and chassis. The rest of the bodywork could well be all that flimsy chromium, glass and gaudy paintwork that the Thais are so fond of.

Hardly any proper reinforcing of th body structure whatsoever, any accident more serious than a scrape and the bodywork crumples like a plastic bag.

I did note however that the seats are fitted with safety belts. A step in the right direction.

Guarantee invalid if driven by morons

Bus company promises much improved service as new TEMPORARY fleet unveiled

they forgot to put in TEMPORARY with all the buses crashing over the last few months,so I did that for them and also should have added trained drivers could be on the improved service too haha who am I kidding

with the growing bus crashes then the word TEMPORARY is warranted

... or personal bottle openers as they will be employed for.

It is quite normal in bus manufacture that local industry builds a bus on a chassis/engine from another source.

However, many bus chassis manufacturers in Europe charge the builders to build the bus with certain standards.

And these standards are controlled, simply because possible accidents like you mention would be related to, in this case, a MAN bus.

Bad for business, image, etc.

Edited by hansnl

If Thailand could be upgraded from being the second most deadly Country for road traffic accidents, I might be tempted to travel by these nice new buses, but sorry "shiny new" does nothing for me. However, if Thailand accepted that their road safety record is appalling and took action to remedy it, then you might have my attention. Sorry Thailand but "show boating" new buses is not the solution.facepalm.gif

MAN only supplies (them with) diesel engines.

Chassis is made in Thailand according to Thai standards.

It wont be improved service - and I still wont use it - until these bus and van companies stop killing their passengers at such appalling rates.

A plush coffin with wifi, tvs and comfortable seats is still a coffin. And will remain so ubtil the authorities get serious about safety.

Pity the new buses won't be doing Phitsanulok to MoChit! The rusty hulk I rode on had torn headrests and air-con vents that didn't have the little directional slats....so some customers were jamming tissues in the hole to block the cold air....until the air-con failed and we had to spend 2 and a half hours waiting for it to be fixed!

post-63954-0-12054400-1468573762_thumb.j

post-63954-0-10290200-1468573783_thumb.j

post-63954-0-05888400-1468573803_thumb.j

Fitted with large TV screens!! Oh no!! Back to AirAsia thank you.

I know a few hours of silence would kill many people, or they should be invited to bring their own earphones. But a multi hour journey with Thai programs! no way!!

I did a same-day trip to Chiang Rai. Same ghastly program both ways. The "return of the mummy." OMG!!