Opening A New Bank Account

Relatively recently, I recall reading a post saying that to open a Thai bank account requires you to have a Non-Imm 'O' visa and be registered for tax, "PERIOD".

I have searched at length to find the thread using various 'key words' with no success.

Would the poster, or someone else, please direct me to the thread?

TIA, Phil

problem is that within the past few months banks do ask for working papers. they do not want to open accounts lately without them. I have discontinued trying. I will just keep my US accts and ATM cards. There is info on the Bangkok Bank website about farangs being able to open an acct hassle free but I am fairly certain that like so much on the internet, the info is dated. Just do a net search on anything and it is likey to have old info. So few sites are kept up to the minute. updating them is not a priority for too many businesses. caught in the act says "last time he opened acct he was asked only for passport". I guarantee he did not open an acct in 2004 because no can do. I know cause I am up to speed on this. Others have had no probs in the past. This has changed this year along with visa issues

Its almost a year ago now, but as I know their policy have not changed.

And yeah I believe its a Thai bank, its certainly good enough to be accepted as a bank when you want to show funds for the Immigration.

I went to an office here in Chiang Mai, maybe practices are different depending on location sometimes.