Thai deputy transport minister formally unveils new Chinese-made train cars to the public

webfact

Deputy transport minister formally unveils new Chinese-made train cars to the public

597_train-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The acquisition of 115 new Chinese rail cars from China’s Railway Rolling Stock Corporation with the first lot of 39 having arrived marks a milestone in the change of train services provided by the State Railway of Thailand to passengers, Deputy Transport Minister Omsin Chivapruek said today in a ceremony to formally unveil the new train cars and new uniforms of SRT train attendants at Si Racha railway station, Chon Buri.

Also attending the ceremony were SRT governor Wutthichart Kalayanamitr and members of the media.

The deputy minister said the SRT’s acquisition of the new and modern train cars from China represents a testimony of the government’s determination to improve train services in Thailand.

SRT governor, meanwhile, said that the SRT planned to launch the maiden service of the new cars on Bangkok-Chiang Mai route in August with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to preside over the official launch.

Each first-class air conditioned car will have 12 sleeping rooms with two seats each. Each seat is equipped with an LCD monitor with a USB port so that passengers will be able to enjoy entertainment programmes, to receive information or to order food or drinks from their seats.

There are four LCD screens on each of the second-class air conditioned sleeper cars.

On top of that, the toilets in the new train cars will be similar to the type installed on aircraft which is clean, without smell and using less water in flushing.

Each train will be accompanied by a power car which will replace the engines in the old cars. Hence the new cars will be quiet, environment friendly and power saving.

Every car is equipped with a CCTV system which will ensure safety for passengers, ABS braking system.

The entire new fleet is made up of nine first-class sleeper cars, 88 second-class sleeper cars, including nine cars for the disabled, nine canteen cars and nine power cars with 11 cars to be kept as reserves.

All the new cars will be put into services in four routes namely Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Nong Khai and Bangkok-Hat Yai.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-minister-formally-unveils-new-chinese-made-train-cars-public/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-15

Yes, 115 cars built to narrow gauge standards. Should work well on the dream HST system.

Does anyone really know what is going on regarding Thailand's railways?

"Each train will be accompanied by a power car which will replace the engines in the old cars"

Is that to replace the noisy underframe power units (engines) used on most 1st and 2nd class cars presently in use?

Will there still be a locomotive or are these diesel railcar sets?

4 lcd screens in each 2nd class car? So there will be thai tv on? Or movies? Who is waiting for that noise? Just after they mentioned about the noisy engines beneath the 'old' cars that will be replaced by 1 engine-car.

By the way the present cars used are from Daewoo which is S.Korean not Japanese...

I cannot understand why every line has different rolling stock.

Except of course for the way the supply contracts are negotiated.

These passenger cars are for the State Railway of Thailand, not the BTS (Skytrain) or MRT (Underground) in Bangkok.

They will be used nationwide on the main lines..

4 lcd screens in each 2nd class car? So there will be thai tv on? Or movies? Who is waiting for that noise? Just after they mentioned about the noisy engines beneath the 'old' cars that will be replaced by 1 engine-car.

By the way the present cars used are from Daewoo which is S.Korean not Japanese...

A few weeks back used the Malaysian ETS. Each carriage had LCD screens giving train speed, next station, time, with a background of advertising for rail destinations. Sound level was quite low. Perhaps we can expect the same.

BTW metre gauge track with cruising speed of ~140km/h. No level crossing IIRC.

I thought all the rotten, termite ridden, wooden sleepers had been replaced by concrete sleepers. There were a pile of the rotting sleepers at Chiang Mai station, and I can understand why no has any further use for them.

I thought all the rotten, termite ridden, wooden sleepers had been replaced by concrete sleepers. There were a pile of the rotting sleepers at Chiang Mai station, and I can understand why no has any further use for them.

I travelled from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and then on to Nong Khai a few months ago (second class non aircon sleeper). The track had been relayed with concrete sleepers, and the ride quality was infinitely better than a few years ago. The carriage was old, but in good condition and rode well.

New trains, same old tracks. Like putting a coat of paint on an old junk car.

Good tracks make such a difference.

I travelled to Butterworth in Malaysia on the rattler from BKK. It bucks and rolls all the way to the border.

Once across, you're in the very same train, and the ride becomes smooth and quiet - tracks in Malaysia are sooo much better than in Thailand.

Will this be typical Chinese quality (none) or are they promising something revolutionary. facepalm.gif

I haven't got a lot of time for the neighbourhood bullies, but I must say their train, underground and highway systems are some of the best I've ever seen.,

QUALITY CONTROL.

Hope they keep an eye on what they are paying for.

Story on CNA (Channel News Asia) from Singapore last night (Friday) about SINGAPORE sending back some Chinese Made Carriages

because there was a problem with the Compartments and the Running Gear having a tenancy to develop cracks.

BUYER BEWARE !

Looks like the Thai ordered cars are coming from the same overall Chinese state-owned company:

As for Singapore, it looks like they're returning the cars temporarily to China for repairs -- not canceling the purchase or seeking a refund.

Singapore returns faulty trains to China for repair - FT.com

Singapore has shipped 26 defective Chinese-made metro trains back to their manufacturer for repair after discovering cracks in the structure linking the car body to the undercarriage, in a blow to China’s ambitions to win export deals for its rail equipment.

Hairline cracks were found in late 2013 following the delivery of new trains by CSR Qingdao Sifang Locomotive, a subsidiary of China’s main state-owned rolling stock company CRRC, Singapore’s ministry of transport said.

Singapore public transit operator SMRT said in a statement that 26 of the 35 trains delivered by the manufacturer, known as CSR Sifang, had cracks in the structure connecting the car body and the framework for the wheels, which is known as a bogie.

SMRT said it had been “monitoring the defects closely” to ensure that the trains were safe for passenger service. The repairs are due to be completed by 2019.

The superficial cracks were not “safety critical”, the ministry said, adding that it commissioned a third-party inspection in 2013 to ensure that the rail cars were safe.

China’s state-owned rolling stock manufacturers, which dominate their huge domestic market, have pushed hard in the last decade to win export orders in developed countries. They have taken on Japanese and Korean suppliers as well as three western companies that dominate the international market — Canada’s Bombardier, France’s Alstom and Germany’s Siemens.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3a618d42-4350-11e6-9b66-0712b3873ae1.html#axzz4EVTEoFaT

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I cannot understand why every line has different rolling stock.

Except of course for the way the supply contracts are negotiated.

These passenger cars are for the State Railway of Thailand, not the BTS (Skytrain) or MRT (Underground) in Bangkok.

They will be used nationwide on the main lines..

You failed to mention ARL. :-)

You failed to mention ARL. :-)

I failed to mention Airport Rail Link because it is owned by the State Railway of Thailand and operated by SRTET (Electrified Train) subsidiary. OK now?smile.png

You really must try to keep up you know old chap!

:)