Limitations on Visa Exempt entries

Hello,

Has anyone had any issues upon return to Thailand after flying in and out several times without a proper visa? I hold a USA passport and normally we are allowed 30 days visa exempt status. All of my trips have been flights and my next one will be also. Just want to know if there are any official or unofficial limits to this...

Thank you in advance for your comments.

• Like 1

There are no written limits.

The officer gets an alert when you reach 6 to inform them they should review your history to find out if your are trying to live her on them. If they think you are you can be pulled aside and questioned and be asked for financial proof and/or tickets out of the country within 30 days.

The Los Angeles consulate clearly states that 30 day exemptions are not to be used for more than 90 days stay in any random 180 day period. I know from my own experience that that is not actually enforced, but it might not be a good idea to push your luck and call attention to yourself. I now feel that if one is more than a casual tourist, it is ultimately better to respect the kingdom and get an appropriate visa, but there is no doubt that the way they have set it up, the system can be gamed.

The Los Angeles consulate clearly states that 30 day exemptions are not to be used for more than 90 days stay in any random 180 day period. I know from my own experience that that is not actually enforced, but it might not be a good idea to push your luck and call attention to yourself. I now feel that if one is more than a casual tourist, it is ultimately better to respect the kingdom and get an appropriate visa, but there is no doubt that the way they have set it up, the system can be gamed.

It is not enforced because no such rule has existed since 2008 when the police order that made entries by land 15 days was issued.

• Like 2

There are no written limits.

The officer gets an alert when you reach 6 to inform them they should review your history to find out if your are trying to live her on them. If they think you are you can be pulled aside and questioned and be asked for financial proof and/or tickets out of the country within 30 days.

I used to come in on them about 5 times a year from the UK. But I then did short side trips from Thailand, so was entering about 8 to 10 times a year in total. Although I spend a lot of time in Thailand (I have a holiday home), I don't regard myself as living there as my main home is in the UK.

However, I got fed up with it taking a long time to get through Immigration as they looked for all my entries and asked questions like whether I had a Thai wife. Then an IO told me to get a visa before I came next time, and I had to bite the bullet and get one (and retirement extension - not straightforward when you are in and out of the country a lot).

It is not enforced because no such rule has existed since 2008 when the police order that made entries by land 15 days was issued.

Also, I don't think the LA Consulate (as well as some of the others) worries a lot about keeping all the info on its website up-to-date and coordinated.

many thanks everyone. I think I'm probably just barely ok on each and every one of these points. Trip following this one will be for proper visa anyway.

Just as an addition to what has been said, it is recommended to have 20,000 baht (or equivalent) as well as an onward flight ticket booked within your 30 day stay.

It is also possible to extend the visa exemption by 30 days at an immigration office inside the country for, i understand, 1,900 baht.