Driving car without driving licence

fry30

I'm not advocating to drive without driving license, that's absolutely wrong, I wanted to make only one trip because we are in a difficult situation.

I still prefer to walk 15 km that playing at the Russian roulette, I do understand how risky it is, especially for a farang, to drive without license.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP doesn't actually state whether he already holds a valid French Driving Licence, in which case he wouldn't need to take the full Thai test.

He wouldn't need to take te full test if he has an INTERNATIONAL DL. His French DL won't be recognized. When I went to get a license, they said that if my license (German) was in English, they could "do something" but as it was in German only, I had to take the full test.

@OP : it's because of people like you who try to go over the laws that Farangs have bad reputation.

DELETED

No, if the OP has a French DL he can get a verified translation from his embassy. I did this (Swiss DL) and had only to pass the reaction- and eye tests. OP, for the time being, better by a cheap bicycle than walk 15Km to the bus station..

If you drive without a license and get caught, you should be heavily fined and deported. Enough idiots on the road without importing more

In Thailand getting the Thai Compulsory Insurance for the vehicle will get a Road Disc and the vehicle is insured.

No DL is a separate issue. smile.png

Forget about your damned old car!

Run over some kid and not have a drivers license and see what happens to you then. It is just not worth the risk. That is unless you like stale rice and fish head soup.

Certainly hope that wouldn't happen but if vehicle is insured no DL would not invalidate the insurance. smile.png

Driving without a license is the height of stupidity - that said I imagine something like 25% of drivers in Thailand don't have one - that's my estimate erring on the cautious side!!!!!@

Agree but l refer to my two previous statements. smile.png

The OP doesn't actually state whether he already holds a valid French Driving Licence, in which case he wouldn't need to take the full Thai test.

He wouldn't need to take te full test if he has an INTERNATIONAL DL. His French DL won't be recognized. When I went to get a license, they said that if my license (German) was in English, they could "do something" but as it was in German only, I had to take the full test.

@OP : it's because of people like you who try to go over the laws that Farangs have bad reputation.

DELETED

No you not must take full test..

only give English translation certified for example in your consulate.

I think the OP may find babies don't stick to scheduled dates when it comes to arriving in the world. I'd suggest his wife would be better off finding accommodation close to the hospital.

Alternatively, there must be some locals who have vehicles. Offer to pay them to take the wife to hospital. Or do a crash course in obstetrics.

To buy a bicycle I would need to walk even more to fetch it, then let it rotten at the bus station until someone steal it.

Regarding the "fruitcake" insult, I think you should just move to another topic, you are useless here and insulting without thinking does not make you look clever as well.

@bazza40, thanks for the suggestion, she will get a C-section, we will know the definitive date in 2 weeks. I have exactly 5000 bahts, I will try to get at least 50 000 advance before she goes to hospital and pay the locals to help us for the transportation but there is no guarantees that they will do it.

OP - About 15 years ago I had an accident driving with just a British Driving License. Neither the Police or Insurance seemed to care... Not having a Thai Licence or an International Driving Permit seemed to matter. My car was fixed under insurance.

Note: This was 15 years ago, things may well have changed and Insurance companies may have become much more serious about this... Given all the 'fear mongering' which perhaps rightly so suggests you shouldn't be driving without an IDP (accompanying your home licence) or a Thai Licence, I have not heard of any stories of insurance failing to pay out because someone is not carrying a Thai license.

That said, you are taking a chance that the Insurance might not pay out if you are involved in an accident and found to be at fault...

You might find the queuing shorter if you were to apply for a driving licence at alternative DLT centres... definitely worth considering if you 'need' to drive within the next month.

2010 my friend on another friend car had accident.Insurance full pay..

2011 two different friend had accident on rent car. Insurance full pay..

2014 friend had accident on his wife registration car.. isurance full pay..

All of them had no Thai DL.. only another country DL. and just one of tham had IDP..

so nothing to change..

Guys what about you talking?

Have any who refused to pay insurance company becouse they have another country DL not had Thai DL?blink.png

Edited by ardokano

> I will pass the driving license here

You are a confident person :)

If you drive without a valid driver license and get into an accident, as soon this information is known to the insurance company they will not pay out who ever is to blame. Even if the other is to blame he can claim his damage on you because you where not allowed to drive. However there is a big change in this case the other driver does not has a driver license also.

Not correct. If other driver is at fault and has insurance, insurance will pay to party not at fault. Opposing party not having a valid DL us not an exclusion.

He may get a fine for driving without DL though.

I rode motorcycles and drove cars in Bangkok without a license for around 10 years.

My single accident involved me putting down the bike (NC 30) in the rain on petchburi to avoid her as she did a u turn across 6 lanes of traffic.

No actual contact was made an I literally slid across the oily road with only minor friction burns on my elbow. Thankfully I had enough time to control the slide.

She was horrified and admitted fault. Insurance payed for fairing repair, minor part replacement and a full engine overhaul and fully respray and decals around 60k.

I had no licence. No one even asked.

I doubt that would be the case in a car accident, but you never know. It would seem to be a question worth asking you insurer, I beleive it differs depending on who is at fault.

I forgot to mention that I have only a Qatary driver license which expired few months ago. So taking the car is finally a no go, I insured it firstly to be covered feom theft, the car will stay locked in the garden until I get the driving license.

"Not correct. If other driver is at fault and has insurance, insurance will pay to party not at fault. Opposing party not having a valid DL us not an exclusion.

He may get a fine for driving without DL though."

Stevenl ,

My understanding is as follows:

the driver without a driving license risks :
(1) not being paid by his own casco insurance,

(2) in case he has third party cover, his insurance will pay the third party but will get the money back from the unlicensed driver,
(Similar to the European "regress" policy concerning irresponsible drivers that are repeatedly causing damages)

and moreover
(3) being sued by the third party or their insurance company for damages and / or damages in access of his covered amount.
(as it were against an unlicensed driver, the chances to win such case are about 101 % for the damaged party)

plus applicable fines and / or jail time as the case may be.

Edited by KKr

If you have no license your insurance is cancelled if a problem....If not your fault your insurance ain't going to get involved, you must pay to sort it...

Not so about a year ago before the mrs got a bike licence( she has been driving some 10 yrs without) anyway she had an accident her fault we have 1st class on all vehicles by he way. She phoned insurance company they sent adjustor out all sorted in 10 mins. Other bike repaired our bike repaired no dramas didn't even want to see her licence which she didn't have. Oh and the other driver she hit had no licence either I didn't get involved no injuries either side just damage. The insurance is on the vehicle not the drivers. No doubt other will have a diffrent take on it. I have had two accidents here driving car one me one there fault never have I or other driver been asked by adjusters to produce driving licences and always have the vehicles been repaired. I will add no personal injuries no police involved

Edited by Deepinthailand

To add another bit I have never been asked by insurance company to produce or email licences on getting insurance from them and I always change insurance companies every year

Weeeeeeeeeell, my Broker/company wants a printout of my PP and license....

I will answer both questions

Mrs is Thai.

I can hand on heart tell you never have I had to produce passport or DL For any insurance as my wife gets it for us. And she has only to produce her ID car is insured for 3 drivers and bikes for 3 as well.

I should stay off road, unfortunately there is no taxi where we are living and it would cost a lot to bring one from Bangkok ( and we don't have money right now) just to get to the nearest bus. My wife is 8 months pregnant so she can't drop me with the motorbike, I have to go to Chonburi to get a job so I will try to travel at night hoping that with a low traffic there will be less risks.

It's a long story to justify why I don't have money and why I have to take this risk but I try my best, bought land, house and car in a short time, we are quite near to be ok.

"where we are living and it would cost a lot to bring one from Bangkok ( and we don't have money right now) just to get to the nearest bus."

If you don't have money then why on earth would you have bought a car?

Is she a farang...?

Think we all know in LOS nobody follows the written word, I could tell you a story that you would....blink.png ....about a claim....

Farang, rule of thumb is you have 3 months to get a Thai license to satisfy your insurance company....But does anyone know what they are doing in said companies..whistling.gif

what farang?

You sure you speak English?

Why 3 month? I had many friend NEVER for dozen yaer had Thai DL. they have some times accidents. Insurance company pay... But htey NOT farang.. who is farang? HK guys with UK passport is farang?

Why you again give wrong information for people?

Is she a farang...?

Think we all know in LOS nobody follows the written word, I could tell you a story that you would....blink.png ....about a claim....

Farang, rule of thumb is you have 3 months to get a Thai license to satisfy your insurance company....But does anyone know what they are doing in said companies..whistling.gif

what farang?

Why 3 month? I had many friend NEVER for dozen yaer had Thai DL. they have some times accidents. Insurance company pay... But htey NOT farang.. who is farang? HK guys with UK passport is farang?

He is not giving wrong information, if your a tourist you can drive a car for 3 months after that you need a Thai driving license. If you don't you risk that you get no money in an accident. I had a Thai friend who had no license and he got no money after an accident, also know of a foreigner with a foreign license but longer as 90 days who did not get paid out after an accident.

Fact is 3 months is the general rule and after that your license is no longer valid as your no longer considered a tourist.

He is not giving wrong information, if your a tourist you can drive a car for 3 months after that you need a Thai driving license. If you don't you risk that you get no money in an accident. I had a Thai friend who had no license and he got no money after an accident, also know of a foreigner with a foreign license but longer as 90 days who did not get paid out after an accident.

Fact is 3 months is the general rule and after that your license is no longer valid as your no longer considered a tourist.

1. Not important tuourist or not.. just another coutry license valid 90 days.. you came on business or as visitors/ student..

2. anybody no have to get Thai DL after 90 days.. only stay in Thailand not more then 90 days its be fine.

so Tranc give wrong information..

I'm not advocating to drive without driving license, that's absolutely wrong, I wanted to make only one trip because we are in a difficult situation.

I still prefer to walk 15 km that playing at the Russian roulette, I do understand how risky it is, especially for a farang, to drive without license.

You could ride bicycle to the Bus Terminal and lock it up in one of their Bike racks if they exist - if not, a few baht to a food vendor to 'watch' your bike for you will work..............Congrats on the decision "Not to Drive" remember Murphy's law - "if somthing can go wrong, it will"

clap2.gifclap2.gif

@swissbie, still thanks for the idea, the second sentence was for doc46, I realize it was confusing. I'm walking and writing in same time eheh

fry30, no problem, i got it. Just logged in again. Another little advice; if you're wife will have to rush to the hospital to give birth and no neighbour is available, just drive your car and don't worry (but don't speed..). Local police won't even bother you in such a situation. As it looks like you're fully capable to drive a car, it would be the best solution. Some TV-members writing about a criminal act when driving without a Thai DL just don't get it. Obtaining a Thai DL doesn't mean to be able to drive a car decently, but still better to have one. Wish you good luck with the baby and the Thai DL.

You are a confident person smile.png

If you drive without a valid driver license and get into an accident, as soon this information is known to the insurance company they will not pay out who ever is to blame. Even if the other is to blame he can claim his damage on you because you where not allowed to drive. However there is a big change in this case the other driver does not has a driver license also.

Sorry you are wrong. Prior to me moving to Thailand I came to Thailand on a regular basis for work. I borrowed one of my friends car and had an accident and I did not have a Thai license, no body cared and the insurance paid. In Thailand the car is insured not the driver. This has been discussed many times on TV and some other TV members have had the same experience as me.

To add another bit I have never been asked by insurance company to produce or email licences on getting insurance from them and I always change insurance companies every year

Weeeeeeeeeell, my Broker/company wants a printout of my PP and license....

I will answer both questions

Mrs is Thai.

I can hand on heart tell you never have I had to produce passport or DL For any insurance as my wife gets it for us. And she has only to produce her ID car is insured for 3 drivers and bikes for 3 as well.

Sounds great, you carry on...thumbsup.gif

Your rides in your name....?

Don't understand the question if you mean insurance the car carries the insurance not the name as you know

You are a confident person :)

Not correct. If other driver is at fault and has insurance, insurance will pay to party not at fault. Opposing party not having a valid DL us not an exclusion.

He may get a fine for driving without DL though.

I rode motorcycles and drove cars in Bangkok without a license for around 10 years.

My single accident involved me putting down the bike (NC 30) in the rain on petchburi to avoid her as she did a u turn across 6 lanes of traffic.

No actual contact was made an I literally slid across the oily road with only minor friction burns on my elbow. Thankfully I had enough time to control the slide.

She was horrified and admitted fault. Insurance payed for fairing repair, minor part replacement and a full engine overhaul and fully respray and decals around 60k.

I had no licence. No one even asked.

I doubt that would be the case in a car accident, but you never know. It would seem to be a question worth asking you insurer, I beleive it differs depending on who is at fault.

Yes, you're confirming what I said and what is totally correct.

Is she a farang...?

what farang?

Valid licence or not does not even matter if the other party is at fault and has insurance.

I should stay off road, unfortunately there is no taxi where we are living and it would cost a lot to bring one from Bangkok ( and we don't have money right now) just to get to the nearest bus. My wife is 8 months pregnant so she can't drop me with the motorbike, I have to go to Chonburi to get a job so I will try to travel at night hoping that with a low traffic there will be less risks.

It's a long story to justify why I don't have money and why I have to take this risk but I try my best, bought land, house and car in a short time, we are quite near to be ok.

I hope you know that poor planning on your part in the past doesn't justify your emergency now. You have had plenty of time to get your Drivers License here. Also moving to an area where you require a Drivers License right away to get to work, and neither you or your wife able to drive, is not good planning either. Especially now when your wife is due.

There is Private Places you can go to to get your Drivers License in Thailand which are not that expensive. My wife attended one of these places where she was able to write her Learners License Exam right away and start her Driver Training Road Test with an instructor the same day. There are courses on Saturdays, in case you work during the week, and there is also afternoon and evening driving for the road test.

I can't remember exactly right now but I think there was one day in road signs and safety instruction at which at the end of it she wrote her written exam. Then she needed 8 to 10 hour of road testing with an instructor over 4 or 5 days, to complete here course. At the Private School they passed her on both tests and all she had to do after that was take a signed paper to the Drivers License Office to get her Drivers License right away. She was able to do all this from start to finish in less than 2 weeks. If not for the weekends and holidays she could have done this in about a week.

I am sorry and I don't mean to talk down to you but I can't help feeling you had plenty of options and time in the past to not be in the situation your find yourself in now. I also feel you like living on the edge and that rules and laws are for other people..

If I was you I would probably drive to the bus stop and park my car there until I got back from work. I would drive my wife to the hospital if it was her time. I don't think too many police officers will bother you for a drivers license while your wife is sitting there and going through Labor Pains. But I would also get my Drivers License as soon as possible.

Is she a farang...?

what farang?

Valid licence or not does not even matter if the other party is at fault and has insurance.

Quite possible but do you want to take it to the test ? I agree that it SHOULD not matter and legally you are probably right but i still think its a vulnerable position.