Thailand & The Netherlands Comparison

JusMe

Rather think Thais would be calling for capital punishment. Interesting comparison between the attitudes of Thailand and The Netherlands.

Man gets 30 days in jail for insulting the Dutch king

or this link

I'm Dutch and I didn't even know that was possible. I approve and don't approve. It's a fine line I guess.

I'm a big believer of freedom of speech so I don't approve. But anything IS related I obviously not approve and obviously this is not satire so where do you draw the line...

Edited by Xriz

Rather think Thais would be calling for capital punishment. Interesting comparison between the attitudes of Thailand and The Netherlands.

or this link

I'm Dutch and I didn't even know that was possible. I approve and don't approve. It's a fine line I guess.

I'm a big believer of freedom of speech so I don't approve. But anything IS related I don't approve with and obviously this is not satire, so where do you draw the line...

Edited by Xriz

or this link

I'm a big believer of freedom of speech so I don't approve. But anything IS related I don't approve with and obviously this is not satire, so where do you draw the line...

Where you draw the line is simple. You abolish an incredibly outdated law and concept and treat this as the same way you would a similar action against any person regardless of their status.

Edited by roamer

or this link

Where you draw the line is simple. You abolish an incredibly outdated law and concept and treat this as the same way you would a similar action against any person regardless of their status.

I concur, every person is or should be the same for the law. I didn't bother to read the exact nature of what this guy did. Critism should be ok, you may even be a bit angry but there is a line when you start to threaten a citizen or attempt assisination of character with pathetic lies or other such things.

When my girl came to NL she was suprised by the amount of comedy that involved the Dutch royality and government. At first she wasn't sure if the footage was real or not (there are popular "Willie" clips with edited footage -editting footage, voice overs and such- with Willem Alexander acting like a bit of a low class Hague citizen who's outsmarted by poorly Dutch speaking wife 555). But she got used to the TV taking a well meant piss at any well known Dutchy pretty fast.

or this link

That's exactly an already proposed law in the Netherlands.

What he said would not be allowed under that law as well BTW.

Edited by stevenl

Conversations I've had at the univerdity of Leiden would if moved to a Thai context in a Thai university result in everyone in the discussion being locked up for decades.

That asside: Thailand has better food, but can't come close on beer.

or this link

I'm a big believer of freedom of speech so I don't approve. But anything IS related I obviously not approve and obviously this is not satire so where do you draw the line...

What the article in the above link doesn't mention is that the guy has an earlier conviction for killing and cutting up his wife.

In that light I'm surprised they let him off with such a low sentence. He clearly a nut case and shouldn't be out on the streets.