SURVEY: What best describes your experiences with Thai Immigration?

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our members have had varied experiences with Thai Immigration. Which choice best describes your, or someone you know well, overall experience with Thai Immigration?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Voted for B.

Officers are different, have a good or a bad day.

One time I should return 200 km because photocopy of my wife's ID was not signed by her (having the original with me) angry.png

Cleared the problem with the boss for a "fee".

Khon Kaen.

I prefer to go as early as possible before the officers have met all the trouble makers, Chang singlets etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Why are all the vote questions I or someone I know??? Should surley be I only. Even A is both if your doing the vote everyone on here has read of stories very biased poll in my eyes

So I vote non of the above.

I have used two immigration offices Pattaya and KK, I have never had a problem and found both to be exellent.

Edited by Deepinthailand

First Non-O extension based on marriage had 1 or 2 hiccups only because it was our first time going through the process. Always been a bit of an organizer/administrator type so TBH, I don't find the extension process as grueling as others seem to.

That said, I still grimace as I watch Immigration offers flounder around with these arcane, paper-intensive processes from the 20th Century. Meanwhile, on their lunch break, they send photos and documents to a friend in BKK via Facebook, then log in to internet banking and transfer money, all without batting an eye lid. They "get it" for sure, but are stuck with old school management.

Maybe in 10 years time, when the older, less tech inclined senior officers retire, the younger ones will drag the process the rest of the way into the 21st Century.

• Like 1

Told by one officer they did not do extension and go to Suan Phlu Bkk when I did not live in Bkk, and they did do extensions, no problem

Asked for 4 then 5 copies of pp for 90 day extensions, no problem

Told need every page of PP copied even blank one for extension one year, then not the next, no problem

One officer told my mrs she did not know how she could live with a foreigner, no problem

Given forms all in Thai to sign when going for extension, no problem

Fill in info about foreigner form last time, no problem

Often asked, 'why you stay Thailand' by officials, no problem

-I know my place laugh.png

Edited by thai3

Been coming to Thailand for over twenty two years and lived here for the last twelve years. I've had friends and relatives from the UK coming here on a regular (annual) basis plus friends who live here and none of us have had a problem in all that time. The only problem I've known is when my mate's Thai wife threw her TM 6 away because, being Thai, she didn't think she needed it but got a right bo**ocking from the IO when she tried to leave and go back to the UK.

But, if you want to talk about visa problems, try getting a visa to the UK for your wives/girlfriends etc. Compared to the relative ease of getting visas/extensions etc in Thailand, the UK can be (and usually is) an absolute nightmare.

• Like 1

I have nothing but praise for the Nong Khai office. A pre-visit to ask about the specific requirements to achieve my next goal is a must. i ensure that I have all my ducks lined up to their requirements, in and out in a few minutes. 90 day reports online is working after some early technical glitches.

I've known several people who had significant problems with immigration. Most of it has been resolved, but in one situation a person ended up exiting the country and was not allowed to return. She was told to go back to her home country and get a visa. She was applying for a non-Immigrant B visa. She did and eventually returned and now has a work permit.

They can be quite capricious at times.

Two former employers fired me. I had very strong litigation cases for violation of contract which were later settled in my favor. In retaliation for my filing litigation, both held my work permit beyond the new termination date but reported the termination to be sooner, which would normally put me in overstay. In both cases, the immigration officers, one in Isaan and one in Pattaya aggressively investigated the situation and ruled in my favor, chastising the former employers.

Also, any time I report to immigration, I dress as though I am going for a job interview. I have never even once in eight years had the slightest problem. When one immigration officer found the paperwork from a new employer to be shoddy, she took the trouble to make calls and fixed it so I would not have to return. In fact, I have never had anything but the most courteous treatment from any Thai government agency. OTOH, while not exactly hostile, the police in the traffic office on Pattaya's Beach Road office were at best cool (not in a good way).

• Like 2

With one notable exception the people at my immigration office have always been polite and helpful.

But they have to deal with the silly procedures that are mandated from on high.

This year's example.

In the ridiculous photos we have to take of the wife and I sitting on the sofa, the bed and standing outside the house beside an address sign the lady told us that I should change shirts in the pictures.

Bangkok apparently asked someone to send photos with different shirts. I guess the mentality is that somehow adds further proof you live there.

The same with all the passport photocopies. They have all this on file. All that should be required is your visa number, then present passport for verification of identity.

To my mind this seems like Bangkok not trusting their provincial offices ability to properly verify foreigners' information.

But, to reiterate, given the rules that they have to follow virtually all the officers I've dealt with have been great.

Never had a problem with Thai immigration either at Suan Phlu (in the old days), C/W or any airport on entry.

Basically, have all paperwork at hand ( and extra if needed), dress politely, smile and show respect without fawning .

IT WORKS!!

Years ago I was given a hard time for only having one child in our 'family outside the house' photos instead of two.

"Who do you think took the photo?" said I as my poker face started to slip...

Samui were deliberately obstructive for a decade or more and are far from perfect today. If the OP opened a sub-thread for that office the result would mirror the Jocks re Brexit :)

Edited by evadgib

When extending my stay based on marriage I suffered multiple occasions of frustration based on the different interpretations of what is actually required. Having changed to extension based on retirement, it's a breeze, no issues whatsoever.

• Like 2

When extending my stay based on marriage I suffered multiple occasions of frustration based on the different interpretations of what is actually required. Having changed to extension based on retirement, it's a breeze, no issues whatsoever.

GPS maps etc deemed fine for the last 3+ years can inexplicably fail if someone is having a bad day. With no complaints procedure there's nothing we can do but laugh...

The only consistency is the inconsistency! :)

Edited by evadgib

Jomtien Immigration always EXCELLENT Service!

Agree. Never had a problem with immigrations at Jomtien. Always amazed at how calm and patient the officers are considering what (and who) they have to deal with hour after hour, day after day.

• Like 1