Turkey shows the way

starky

So at least Turkey knows what to do with those that would illegally overtake government. Even calling it treason. Or is it just that their military hasn't has as much practice as other countries? Like, oh I don't know, Thailand for example. Discuss.

Discuss thread closure, more like.

Why? Surely its a fair comparison, in more ways than one. Particularly the way some people feel about Erdogan as compared to Thaksin say (although to be honest Erdogan is more like Mr. P). Any way in a country that allows free speech, encourages civil rights and in anyway isnt under any sort of military d... oh, right. Edited by starky

Look into the history of motivations for coups in Turkey. To say that all coups against elected governments are bad is an oversimplification.

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Turkeys-failed-coup-On-both-sides-tentative-claims-on-democracy-460577

For Erdogan to emerge from this event as a democratic standard-bearer would be the greatest defeat of all for those behind it, since their justification for the coup d'etat was that Erdogan, in fact, is slowly eroding the country's founding Kemalist principles.
Those principles include republicanism, populism and secularism– principles that Erdogan has been disregarding as he embraces Islamist political factions, suppresses free speech and calls for an executive presidency untethered by parliament.
"What makes the Turkish military unique is that it sees itself as having an almost sacred duty to protect an indigenous ideology, namely Kemalism, the principles laid down by the founder of the Turkish republic, Kemal Ataturk," writes Turkey scholar Gareth Jenkins in his book, Context and Circumstance: The Turkish Military and Politic. "This ideological dimension to the military's perception of its role has meant that its definition of security extends beyond public order and Turkey's political or economic interests to include threats to the country's Kemalist legacy."
Edited by Jingthing

Why the reason for closure? Surely one has to be careful talking about the fuhrer Mr. P but it the fact how both countries have handled their military coup is perfectly discutable...

Exactly. Truth be told I think it would be very telling should this thread be closed. We are all adults here, we know what can and cant be said and should be able to skate around that. In fact I think its the perfect opportunity to have an (mostly) open and frank discussion.

Look into the history of motivations for coups in Turkey. To say that all coups against elected governments are bad is an oversimplification.

Who said that? I havent said anything merely opened the floor ;)

Well I can think of a few parallels. Number of coups in a number of years. Main opponent in self imposed exile. Self appointed PM in a caretaker role. Comments?

Correct, when it gets too dangerous in Thailand for foreigners, Turkey seems to be a similar type of country as Thailand for them to adjust to. Sun, sea,, big city, beach and culture.

One think lacking there....easy available local women.....ahhh well !