BA or BSC Degree

exsas

I have passed my degree at the Open university in the UK and have been given a choice of either a

Bachelors of Science or a Bachelors of Arts degree

I'm guessing that it probably makes no difference but is there any preference that anyone may know about? which could affect my employment in Thailand.

Thanks Rhys teaching English is my goal

Started my degree in a hospital theatre in 2008

transferred credits to an Open degree including a mixture of subjects including early years teaching and social sciences.

My credits cover both Arts and science so I have been given the option of which one to take.

If you can imply you can teach science, it may open more doors. I'd go for the Bachelor of Science and hope the Thai's don't notice it's an online degree. If you do get a science position, just study the unit in advance of class and you will be fine. It's not as if anyone ask real questions while you are teaching. O O and good luck!

When I was studying a BSc seemed to be considered more 'weighty' than a BA. I agree with the comments about pursuing the science option as a possible avenue for higher wages, although the lack of a specific subject like chemistry or physics may limit the opportunities. The OU in the UK is fully accredited, quite highly respected and in no way a degree mill (as of course the OP knows already).

There is no hierarchy on degree BA vs BS. There is on actual subject. If it is an unrelated subject or something that doesn't relate to teaching, or specific subject matter, that will have a greater factor than type of degree.

EFL teachers are hired regardless of degree type. If you are trying to work in an EP teaching subject then yes, degree and subject are more important.

There is no hierarchy on degree BA vs BS. There is on actual subject. If it is an unrelated subject or something that doesn't relate to teaching, or specific subject matter, that will have a greater factor than type of degree.

EFL teachers are hired regardless of degree type. If you are trying to work in an EP teaching subject then yes, degree and subject are more important.

A BA degree can be awarded in any major, including those in science. The BSc degree is awarded only for scientific majors, or professional majors, such as nursing and business. A typical BA curriculum can include survey courses in humanities and literature during the first year, as well as an introductory course in a foreign language. A typical BSc curriculum can include introductory courses in math and economics during the first years as well as a foreign language.

Thanks for the responses, certainly a few issues raised that I had not thought about.

Particularly regarding a BSC degree and potentially doors opening to working in an EP program.

However I accept in my case it may not be an advantage because of the name on the degree, but who knows how others will interpret the degree..

It doesn't make that much difference, but I would agree with other posters that a B.Sc. might open more doors. However, if you can get a B.Ed., it will save you a lot of hassle in the future. I have a B.Sc and an M.A in TESOL, but I still need to get PGCEi to teach in a secondary school here (I'm currently just finishing a one-year programme with the University of Nottingham). A B.Ed would allow you to bypass this requirement.

Just to clarify my previous comment, you can get two waivers (each of 2 years) to teach without the PGCEi (or equivalent teaching qualification), but if you're planning to teach long term, it's something you need to think about seriously.

^^^^ an MA.Ed would also do the same. I'm even pretty sure that an MA in TESOL would but you would need to ask Khurusapha. Some time ago I was interested in a Malaysian MA in TESOL and we showed Khurusapha the details and they confirmed it would be ok.. saying that things change!

CasualBiker...Before joining the school last August, I did ask whether my MA would be good enough to get a teacher license, They replied that I would need a PGCEi for a later contract. I didn't go into details as I wanted the job. Finished the PGCEi now so not an issue anymore, but it would be nice to know for definite if the MA in TESOL was acceptable to Khrusupa. But as you say, things are always changing!

Archived