Catching traffic offenders in Chiang Mai

Ricky Doofus

I have spoken to the US Consulate this morning and they said it is not a matter that would offer assistance to, except if a US citizen was seriously inured of killed and required consular assistance. They said traffic enforcement is the responsibility of the Thai Police. I am going to the police station today near Waorawat market and attempting to make an appointment to see the chief.

For those that have offered support thank you. Together we can make Chiang Mai a safer place for all us American expats.

I don't think that it's a very Christian attitude to want only to make Chiang Mai a safer place for Americans, whilst I'm sure God has an eye on US citizens (which Is what I assume you are and were referring to) there are lots of other nationalities inhabiting the Americas - and Europe, Africa as well as Greater Asia for that matter. Don't they deserve a safer environment too?

No.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could start by talking with the nice policeman who stands at the end of Loi Kroh Rd when it enters the Night Bazaar. He's there to catch and issue citations to anyone on a motorscooter who attempts to cross Chang Klan Rd. and keep going down Loi Kroh. That's not permitted. Signs at that intersection say that all traffic HAS to turn right.

However, that cop doesn't stop anyone who does anything else illegal, like riding a motorscooter without a helmet, even if they practically run over his fooot. Why? It's just this one violation that he watches for. Can't the guy multi-task?

I'm not going to name my Church, simply because I don't want our members harassed as is common place here amongst the non believers.

As for those mocking my name, my name is Rick Dreyfus. My nickname since a child has been The Doof, and Doofus.

That not only answers my question but proves my point. Thanks.

It's interesting that you use amongst, which comes up as a spelling mistake with American English spell-checks.

I have spoken to the US Consulate this morning and they said it is not a matter that would offer assistance to, except if a US citizen was seriously inured of killed and required consular assistance. They said traffic enforcement is the responsibility of the Thai Police. I am going to the police station today near Waorawat market and attempting to make an appointment to see the chief.

For those that have offered support thank you. Together we can make Chiang Mai a safer place for all us American expats.

The nice people in the Consular Services section have training where they do role-play exercises to help them keep a straight face and use the word "sir" in dealing with American citizens in situations like this.

Once per year the Thais burn Christians on a stake. You should have learned about that in your church's cultural assimilation program.

...shouldn't that be the "cultural assassination program"?

I would love for you to photograph red light jumpers and present it to the authorities. Make sure you have a video going the whole time. Post it online. Should be worth looking at.

By the way, I liked the way you refer to your spouse as "the wife is Thai," instead of "my wife is Thai." Tells me something.

You could start by talking with the nice policeman who stands at the end of Loi Kroh Rd when it enters the Night Bazaar. He's there to catch and issue citations to anyone on a motorscooter who attempts to cross Chang Klan Rd. and keep going down Loi Kroh. That's not permitted. Signs at that intersection say that all traffic HAS to turn right.

However, that cop doesn't stop anyone who does anything else illegal, like riding a motorscooter without a helmet, even if they practically run over his fooot. Why? It's just this one violation that he watches for. Can't the guy multi-task?

Nancy, I believe that's his own little post. And it's a great little earner for him.

Apparently he is very efficient at spotting 'streetrunners' and needn't move too far to collect the 'rewards'.

Why multitask when he's quite happy with his little 'earner'. Don't want to bring to much attention to oneself!

Nancy, I believe that's his own little post. And it's a great little earner for him.

Apparently he is very efficient at spotting 'streetrunners' and needn't move too far to collect the 'rewards'.

Why multitask when he's quite happy with his little 'earner'. Don't want to bring to much attention to oneself!

Oh, you mean like he's taken on this one violation -- "street running" as you call it -- as his private crusade and has decided to make it his life's mission to enforce it, perhaps even on his own time? Kind of like our buddy Doofus has decided on his own to start taking photos of people jumping red lights?

Yes, maybe they should talk. Sounds like the cop at the Night Bazaar is on a mission, also.

I am on board with this, shall we say jihad to make the roads safer...in the name of god,.... i have noticed the Thais like rubber wrist bands , Why not disribute ones with the letters H.W.J.D. ...meaning "how would Jesus Drive" ... I feel this would greatly influence people and make us all safer...i am on board.

Just across the Kaew Narawat Bridge, on the West side, there is a cop that got me for driving East and then, before the bridge, making an illegal right turn, such that I could stay on the West side of the river.

There is a sign there; I simply didn't see it.

So the cop there looks like he's past retirement age and the motorbike he is riding is an ancient Honda step-through with half the parts missing including a license plate. He insists I follow him to the cop shop just up the road.

When we got there I said, words to the effect of, "Who are you? Are you a real policeman? Why should I pay a fine when you are riding around with no plates? Why not come in with me?"

So he hastily jumped on his bike and flew out of the station like a decrepit bat out of hell.

I told the officer inside who graciously allowed me to pay the fine about this and he just acted like he was suddenly deaf.

If only I had a bicycle lock with me at the time I would have locked the geezer's bike and then had the real cops come out and take a gander.

Just across the Kaew Narawat Bridge, on the West side, there is a cop that got me for driving East and then, before the bridge, making an illegal right turn, such that I could stay on the West side of the river.

There is a sign there; I simply didn't see it.

So the cop there looks like he's past retirement age and the motorbike he is riding is an ancient Honda step-through with half the parts missing including a license plate. He insists I follow him to the cop shop just up the road.

When we got there I said, words to the effect of, "Who are you? Are you a real policeman? Why should I pay a fine when you are riding around with no plates? Why not come in with me?"

So he hastily jumped on his bike and flew out of the station like a decrepit bat out of hell.

I told the officer inside who graciously allowed me to pay the fine about this and he just acted like he was suddenly deaf.

If only I had a bicycle lock with me at the time I would have locked the geezer's bike and then had the real cops come out and take a gander.

Bravado!!!! Bravado!!!!!

if fair dinkum

buy yourself, a lottery ticket

its a Frankie Vallie ,and Four Seasons Goodnite, to all my readers, sweet dreamssmile.png

You are a guest here. So mind your own business.

Rubbish. That is a slave mentality.

We all share the same rock floating in space. These imaginary lines drawn up by greedy kings and rulers were meant to define the boundaries of their human farms. Nothing more. Congratulations on continuing this tradition.

It's because of people like you that places like this never advance for the better.

OP don't be disheartened by some of the comments here. Go to the intersection of Thipanet and Mahidol and start filming away. And don't worry, the offenders will not shoot you, not if it's daylight. Maybe try to run you over but not shoot you.

While you're at it, can you also a start a petition for Thai people to stop treating any area starting from a radius of 2 feet outside their place of residence or work as the "great garbage-dump outdoors"? After all, scientific research found that Thailand has the highest number of rats per capita and that cannot be a coincidence.

To other readers, fill in your own "beef" in paragraph 2.

OP don't be disheartened by some of the comments here. Go to the intersection of Thipanet and Mahidol and start filming away. And don't worry, the offenders will not shoot you, not if it's daylight. Maybe try to run you over but not shoot you.

While you're at it, can you also a start a petition for Thai people to stop treating any area starting from a radius of 2 feet outside their place of residence or work as the "great garbage-dump outdoors"? After all, scientific research found that Thailand has the highest number of rats per capita and that cannot be a coincidence.

I sense this is sarcasm.

On Friday afternoon we will be taking GoPro footage of red light runners at the Nimmahaeimin & Huay Kaew intersection if the weather is on our side. Will will also be setting up youtube channel shortly where the footage will be uploaded.

If you hate it so bad. Why are you here? Thailand has been in contention for having the worst drivers in the world for years. Are didnt it matter to you when you decided to move here? If you did know. I would bet that you have a list. By any chance, were you a saftey monitor in elementary school?

....Thailand has been in contention for having the worst drivers in the world for years......

I wonder if that includes mainland China. That would be quite a "feat" for Thailand.

Of course the stats out of China could be under-reported.

If you hate it so bad. Why are you here? Thailand has been in contention for having the worst drivers in the world for years. Are didnt it matter to you when you decided to move here? If you did know. I would bet that you have a list. By any chance, were you a saftey monitor in elementary school?

Whatever his background, WonderousDoofus would probably make an excellent safety-monitor here in Chiang Mai.

As a church going person it is unlikely that he would be on the take.

Although you never know.

I say give him a chance.

I sense this is sarcasm.

On Friday afternoon we will be taking GoPro footage of red light runners at the Nimmahaeimin & Huay Kaew intersection if the weather is on our side. Will will also be setting up youtube channel shortly where the footage will be upled.

were something quite bright so I wont miss you

wont miss you

Edited by true blue

I sense this is sarcasm.

On Friday afternoon we will be taking GoPro footage of red light runners at the Nimmahaeimin & Huay Kaew intersection if the weather is on our side. Will will also be setting up youtube channel shortly where the footage will be uploaded.

Even though i know you are a wonderous troll, i will still give you fair warning, that is , if i see you filming me at the said place you will indeed become possibly the worlds first recipient of a colonoscopy by means of GoPro camera.

How wonderous would that be?

So you and TrueBlue are threatening violence to someone that would photograph your vehicle in public? And in a way that implies you will violate him annaly? get help now, you are not right in the mind.

I sense this is sarcasm.

Even though i know you are a wonderous troll, i will still give you fair warning, that is , if i see you filming me at the said place you will indeed become possibly the worlds first recipient of a colonoscopy by means of GoPro camera.

How wonderous would that be?

So you and TrueBlue are threatening violence to someone that would photograph your vehicle in public? And in a way that implies you will violate him annaly? get help now, you are not right in the mind.

Don't take TV banter seriously.

Wonderous Doofus might get spooked and stop posting.